Power supply blown???

TomDow

Hello, I was playing the new Microsoft flight simulator for about 10 minutes and then suddenly my pc just turn off, now my pc is prone to restarting because of the power supply but this time it didn’t restart it just turned off but when I tried pressing the lower button nothing happened, now the keyboard and mouse still lit up along with the motherboard rgb but it wouldn’t turn on m. I pulled the cable out and put it in again but then when I pressed the power  button the cpu light on the motherboard flashed now i dont know if that was just faulty and was supposed to stay on but the board was just a week old. So please help me :(

Can you provide more information about your system, including what model of power supply you have.

Do you have another PSU you can use to test with?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

watch what kind of flashing that CPU light is doing. Your motherboard manual might have a section of codes for it or the manufacturer may be able to tell you what it means. A new PSU might be in order but it may have killed something else as well, so you need to find out if that light means something like the cpu has no power or something like the cpu is fried.

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Can you provide more information about your system, including what model of power supply you have.

Do you have another PSU you can use to test with?

Yes I have a Ryzen 5 2600x m, b450 aorus elite and the power supply is the cit builder 500w power supply (was getting a new one whilst this happened)

33 minutes ago, TomDow said:

and the power supply is the cit builder 500w power supply

Oh, yeah. Those are absolute garbage. Would not surprise me at all if it died. Also not actually a 500W power supply, the label states 12V rail can only output a max of 22A (264W). 12V rail is used to power most things in the system, including CPU and graphics card.

(Update:  Looks like there's another one that's rated at 30A on 12V according to the label, but still the same problem)

What graphics card are you using?

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

20 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Oh, yeah. Those are absolute garbage. Would not surprise me at all if it died. Also not actually a 500W power supply, the label states 12V rail can only output a max of 22A (264W). 12V rail is used to power most things in the system, including CPU and graphics card.

What graphics card are you using?

A gtx 1060 3gb dual fan

If you know the system is prone to restarting because of the PSU that's an indication of either over current protection or a rail dropping out causing the system to crash. Regardless of what the actual problem is here I'd definitely recommend replacing that.

Do you have a spare PSU we could start troubleshooting with?

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

If you know the system is prone to restarting because of the PSU that's an indication of either over current protection or a rail dropping out causing the system to crash. Regardless of what the actual problem is here I'd definitely recommend replacing that.

Do you have a spare PSU we could start troubleshooting with?

No sadly I dont

13 minutes ago, TomDow said:

No sadly I dont

So I take it after the CPU light flashes the system doesn't turn on yes? You could try disconnecting all cables leading to the PSU then short the PS_ON pin to ground.

See if the PSU turns on and stays on for one. Then if you have the resources check each voltage rail with a multimeter.

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

So I take it after the CPU light flashes the system doesn't turn on yes? You could try disconnecting all cables leading to the PSU then short the PS_ON pin to ground.

See if the PSU turns on and stays on for one. Then if you have the resources check each voltage rail with a multimeter.

Are there diagrams of these pins on the internet because I don’t want to blow myself up?

2 minutes ago, TomDow said:

Are there diagrams of these pins on the internet because I don’t want to blow myself up?

Ok so I found the diagram and I will do what you said when I can. So if the power supply turns on when I short it’s not the power supply but the cpu??

51 minutes ago, TomDow said:

Ok so I found the diagram and I will do what you said when I can. So if the power supply turns on when I short it’s not the power supply but the cpu??

No. It could still be the PSU. That'd be where a multi-meter is useful for checking the 3.3V, 5V, & 12V rails individually. Weather the PSU is fine or not I'd replace it with something from Corsair or EVGA. The forum has a PSU tier list if you think you have the funds for a replacement unit.

12 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

No. It could still be the PSU. That'd be where a multi-meter is useful for checking the 3.3V, 5V, & 12V rails individually. Weather the PSU is fine or not I'd replace it with something from Corsair or EVGA. The forum has a PSU tier list if you think you have the funds for a replacement unit.

So I did what you said and tried turning the psu on and nothing happened, so I’m guessing this means that the power supply has just died??

1 hour ago, TomDow said:

So I did what you said and tried turning the psu on and nothing happened, so I’m guessing this means that the power supply has just died??

Assuming the wires on the PSU are color coded and you shorted the only Green wire to any Black and the PSU switch is turned on and the unit is plugged in to the wall and it didn't turn on at all then yes. Your PSU failed and you need a replacement unit.