No 5.1 with Logitech z906 and Chromecast

Hunter1428
Go to solution Solved by Hunter1428,

Just got an Amazon Fire Stick. All works great, no problems at all.

Thanks everyone!

Hey all,

My setup at the moment is, Chromecast into a amazon basic audio extractor to split the hdmi to my EPSON EH-TW5300 Projector and the optical out to my Logitech z906 speakers.

I noticed on the Logitech z906 that it is not decoding and can only use the 3d, 4.1 and 2.1 effects. I tried playing a 5.1 file though the Chromecast and I can confirm 2 channel.

I'm not sure where the issue lies, either it's the Chromecast, the extractor or the speakers?

Any ideas?

I also have my PC right next to this setup with an Asus Xonar D2 Sound card. Maybe I can use this somehow?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I understand Windows Store apps allow 1080p + and 5.1 but I'm trying to get Chromecast to output 5.1.

11 minutes ago, Hunter1428 said:

Hey all,

My setup at the moment is, Chromecast into a amazon basic audio extractor to split the hdmi to my projector and the optical out to my Logitech z906 speakers.

I noticed on the Logitech z906 that it is not decoding and can only use the 3d, 4.1 and 2.1 effects. I tried playing a 5.1 file though the Chromecast and I can confirm 2 channel.

I'm not sure where the issue lies, either it's the Chromecast, the extractor or the speakers?

Any ideas?

I also have my PC right next to this setup with an Asus Xonar D2 Sound card. Maybe I can use this somehow?

Thanks in advance!

Probably the extractor is only 2.1 capable. If you have your pc next to the projector why not just use that? Does your projector have an audio out?

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Probably the extractor is only 2.1 capable. If you have your pc next to the projector why not just use that? Does your projector have an audio out?

The extractor has 2.1 and 5.1 settings. I have it set to 5.1, tried cycling though but no difference.

Stream sites such as Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney +. Disney + being the main one I want to use at the moment. Don't seem to offer 5.1 or at sometimes 1080p output from browsers due to a load of reasons I read.

10 hours ago, Hunter1428 said:

The extractor has 2.1 and 5.1 settings. I have it set to 5.1, tried cycling though but no difference.

Stream sites such as Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney +. Disney + being the main one I want to use at the moment. Don't seem to offer 5.1 or at sometimes 1080p output from browsers due to a load of reasons I read.

Is the Chromecast you have capable of outputting 5.1 via the HDMI cable? For example, would it output 5.1 to, say, an HDMI AV Receiver?

Assuming yes, then I would see if there are any settings you can change with the Chromecast - make sure 5.1 is enabled. I don't know if the Chromecast lets you do this - but other streaming boxes have at least some settings - Roku, etc.

My Xbox One outputs 5.1 over Toslink no problem with Netflix, Plex, Disney+, etc.

Does the Projector have TOSLINK output? You could try connecting the speakers that way - though I imagine the run becomes really long.

The problem either exists within the Chromecast (or an App itself) or the Audio Extractor.

That's assuming you've tested the Z906 with toslink from other sources.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Thanks everyone!

1 minute ago, Hunter1428 said:

Thanks everyone!

So the Chromecast was the issue after all? Most likely it was just serving out Stereo the entire time.

Personally I've never been a fan of the Chromecast. It always felt like half a product.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)