Mice/keyboards stop responding after 4-5 devices plugged/unplugged (SUPER weird)

kofman13

Windows 10 latest versoin updated two days ago (have not installed the 2004 feature update though). 5820K i7, 16gb ram, x99 msi gaming 7 mobo, gtx 1070 8 GB.

So i started noticing a very weird issue. Its kind of hard to explain. If i plug/unplug any usb devices 4 or 5 times, the NEXT usb device plugged in will not be responsive, and will cause all other usb devices to also stop responding (IF they are plugged in a second time).

for example. plug in my printer, plug in a mouse, unplug my full size keyboard, plug in my 60% keyboard, plug in my full size keyboard again for work office stuff later again. Thats 4 device plug-ins already, then later in the evneing i go play some games so i plug in my 60% again (this is now the 5th device connection of the day), the keyboard wont respond, and now no other usb keyboards will work and any further usb connections wont work until i restart after this 4th or 5th device change. The weird thing is these mice and keyboards that are not responding still show up in windows 10 device list as connected, if i reconnect them they show up again, but the keyboard or mouse is not actually working. 

to be CLEAR, the order and devices i gave is just a random example of normal use, the order can change, the number of device connections can differ maybe by 1 device, but its basically the same issue everyday.

this ALSO happens in safe mode.  I've never even heard of an issue like this. ive already checked power settings in windows, ive tried turning on and off legacy usb mode in my bios IN CASE.. i just dont know what to do. It seems like it started two days ago after the windows update. should i try system restore? or maybe grab the 2004 feature update?

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

4 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

system restore?

Only time I've seen this is when a power supply was failing and it couldn't provide enough power to all the devices.

Also, why in the world are you swapping in and out so many devices????

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

10 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Only time I've seen this is when a power supply was failing and it couldn't provide enough power to all the devices.

Also, why in the world are you swapping in and out so many devices????

forgot to mention i already tested with only one keyboard and mouse connected and no other usb devices conneted. i have a 1000w power supply it should easily handle this. And i dont want two keyboards and two mice and other stuff all plugged in and taking up desk space when i only need each one for different tasks. i like a clean setup. and i have a nice shelf for the peripherals for work and play. just my preference, plenty of people do this and my power supply should easily handle this. again im not actually ever using all 12 usb ports or even more than one mouse and keyboard at a time so that is irrelevant in terms of power use/draw for the psu.  

this is an issue of basically the computer not working with usb input devices after 4-5 device swaps in a day which is normal and like not extreme at all especially since all these are just peripherals and not actually power hungry devices.

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB