Need some help as a new guy in tech support :)

Hello! I am happy to say i might get a job as tech support for a company. Now, this is the first time I've worked within computers, but I've had computer fixing, building and all that good stuff as a hobby for a while. I don't really have a 'real' education, and I've been sailing with long line fishing ships for a rather long time, being my age(18). Every time you get asked and/or ask if you can come with a ship, you most of the time have some ground questions that you want answered(As an example; you most of the time want magazine lines in a line fishing ship, cause it's a lot easier, and you want to know what routine they use and how you fish or how you freeze the fish). Back to the tech job; what are some questions i should ask the employer, and what are the things i should worry about entering this business?

What kind of company is this that you're looking into?

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

What kind of company is this that you're looking into?

It's a company that sells everything tech, but they have a small support team to fix computers.

Working in tech support myself for a housing company i couldn't think of much to ask the employer maybe how many people you'd be working with in terms of support never hurts to have backup :) Also never underestimate the stupidness of people i know it sounds bad and it doesn't really happen in my current job but in my last job dear christ it was terrible. Also when ever you get asked a question about a problem or approach one have a checklist ready in your head to tick off when you troubleshoot.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

Also when ever you get asked a question about a problem or approach one have a checklist ready in your head to tick off when you troubleshoot.

Did you turn the computer off and on :)

I use to work in IT support, expect tons of computer illiterate people. Hopefully some of them are willing to actually learn and listen to what you have to tell them. 

If the customer asks you a hard question to answer be sure you ask your co-worker or your manager. Better to get a official response than make a mistake. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Did you turn the computer off and on :)

Exactly and if you have do it again xD and if that doesn't work then get some senior help lol

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

Well I just lost a whole post by mistake ... shit.

Anyway Ive been doing tech support for 6 years now for a company that employs 3 guys with no tier of support. The 3 of us do it all.

Don't be afraid to repeat questions or instructions. A lot of users will say "yes yes" but not realy do it. Especially if you are stuck with emails and phone calls only. If you have a tool to connect to the client computer, it will make everything easier and faster.

Don't be afraid to say you don't have the answer. Just try to give them an ETA on when you will call them back with a solution or at least more information.

I have found that writing instructions with bullet points is very very useful because they can tell you where they get stuck when they don't know how to explain it. If your instructions are very detailed step by step.

The hardest part of my job is management and internal employees.

I hope you will get management that will back you up when you need something to do your job.

I hope you will get people that will fix the stuff that need fixed as a priority when you contact them instead of bitching that you are bothering them or that they don't have time to do it because they don't have the same priorities.

I hope the place you will work for understand the principle of products/clients satisfaction. I work for an university and it is not like that. The main priority is to create new courses and tools but not fixing them. Fixing doesn't give them money because they can't see long term.

Anyway, I wish you good luck, I think I forgot something I had in the first draft but ... This can be a great job if you have backup.

The reason I am still there is because the pay is very nice and I am still helping the students and I am the kind of character that can say "you want me to do it? ok its your decision" kind of thing when a boss answers me something stupid. I always have a backup solution for the client. Not always the ideal one but at least something to keep them going.

just don't say'' did you restart your computer'' because we all already did it.

PC specs.3570k, asus p8z77m pro, 8gb corsair vengence 1600MHz, XFX 550w, seagate barracuda 1TB, MSI 660ti, cooler master k350, cooler master hyper tx3 evo.

I would ask the employer if employees often do overtime to complete tasks on time and also the amount of traffic going through you and your co workers.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram