DisplayPort>DVI cable question.

Hawick

Are there any major disadvantages of this type of cable? (the cable itself has a DisplayPort port that connects to the monitor and a DVI port that connects to the video card)

I'm thinking input lag (response time), screen tearing, refresh rate - does it worsen any of these (compared to a regular displayport)

Thank you.

I'd say the obvious downside would be that you're limited to the maximum resolution and refresh rate that DVI can provide. E.g. with single link DVI you would be limited to 1920 × 1200 at 60 Hz.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Wouldn’t that be dvi->DisplayPort? Headline says DisplayPort->DVI but im reading the body copy as the other way.  Part of it could be what kind of dvi is on the video card.  Iirc there are multiple different types of DVI. I’ve only ever done DisplayPort->dual link dviD and have had vast and multiple problems but I’m not sure theyre cable associated. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Wouldn’t that be dvi->DisplayPort? Headline says DisplayPort->DVI but im reading the body copy as the other way.  Part of it could be what kind of dvi is on the video card.  Iirc there are multiple different types of DVI. I’ve only ever done DisplayPort->dual link dviD and have had vast and multiple problems but I’m not sure theyre cable associated. 

Hi. Thanks for replying.

I have this graphics card:

ASUS DUAL-RTX2060-A6G-EVO GEFORCE RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 ADVANCED EVO PCIE 

I don't know what DVI it is.

About the title, yea I think I was wrong.

It's a cable that has DisplayPort (hooks up to the monitor) and then on the other end of the cable there's a DVI port, which is meant to be connected to the video card.

Here:

s54s4ú.png

dvi is an older standard that happened before hdmi but after vga. It went through several revisions starting with dviA and ending with dual link dviD.  It was deemed obsolete some years ago, though its highest bandwidth versions actually carry more data than some newer systems. There have been attempts to phase it out.  There are several versions of dvi, but they use extremely similar looking connectors and some incompatible versions can still hook up together.  One of the improvements of hdmi over dvi is it didn’t do this.  There is only one hdmi connector.  DVI was before a lot of systems like synch so it won’t carry them.

Is the reason you want to do this is this happens to be the cable you have? 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.