Steps to Become a Video Game Programmer?

RelentlessAF

Hey guys, so before you say it. I know the biggest step is gaining experience. In my free time I create the basics and fundamentals of common games like RPG's and FPS games. (Although I'm terrible at 3D modeling so all I ever get done is the coding and basic guns made out of cubes.) I've also even created a functional blackjack game because that seems to be a common prerequisite. However what I want to know is, would college even help? I've looked into 10's of colleges and upon searching their credibility I always find stories of people who weren't able to get a job and they basically wasted their time. I'm mostly looking into DeVry and ITT Tech since they seem to have the most comprehensive programs for "Game Design" rather broad but they do include quite a few classes in C++ C# and Java. As of right now I mainly use Java but know how to convert it to C# from watching many tutorials on YouTube and Unity's website(The game engine I use).

Basically, am I on the right track? What other steps can I take? I also tried to get into using UDK since that's a popular engine among developers but all the tutorials I find are incredibly dull and hard to stay focused in. Is there any tutorials where the teacher doesn't speak extremely monotone and actually sounds like they enjoy making them?

Yes college is worth it as long as you go to the right school for the right thing, do the work and actually get the education you're paying for.

Do not go to college for "game design" especially from places like DeVry, ITT Tech or just about any other college you see recruiting on TV.  To steal a line from CollegeHumor...if they were good universities they wouldn't need a commercial.

You would be much better off doing a normal computer science track for undergrad. Most schools will have some game programming courses you could take as electives. After that if you really want to, you can go to a grad school with a real game programming curriculum like Carnegie Mellon though that isn't really needed.

As far as not being able to get a job after graduating, the people who don't get jobs are just much more vocal and for each one of them there are dozens that have no problem. It just comes down to whether or not you know your stuff.

Build up a portfolio of games you've either created or modified. 

Then get a Computer Science degree. You can do both in tandem.

Experience speaks louder than education. With a portfolio, you have something to talk about during a job interview with a potential Game development studio. 

While experience is the main deciding factor, formal education helps. It'll teach you certain things that you might not be able to obtain on your own. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Yes college is worth it as long as you go to the right school for the right thing, do the work and actually get the education you're paying for.

Do not go to college for "game design" especially from places like DeVry, ITT Tech or just about any other college you see recruiting on TV.  To steal a line from CollegeHumor...if they were good universities they wouldn't need a commercial.

You would be much better off doing a normal computer science track for undergrad. Most schools will have some game programming courses you could take as electives. After that if you really want to, you can go to a grad school with a real game programming curriculum like Carnegie Mellon though that isn't really needed.

As far as not being able to get a job after graduating, the people who don't get jobs are just much more vocal and for each one of them there are dozens that have no problem. It just comes down to whether or not you know your stuff.

The reason I mostly looked into them is they offered online courses as I really cannot afford to not have a job and go to college (Bills to pay and what not) So are there any sort of colleges that offer Computer Science degrees through online courses? Also would a computer science degree teach me the skills I needed for game design or would it be more geared towards software development and Networking?

Build up a portfolio of games you've either created or modified. 

Then get a Computer Science degree. You can do both in tandem.

Experience speaks louder than education. With a portfolio, you have something to talk about during a job interview with a potential Game development studio. 

While experience is the main deciding factor, formal education helps. It'll teach you certain things that you might not be able to obtain on your own. 

Are there any online courses for computer science degrees you'd recommend?

MIT Opencourseware has a bunch of computer science courses freely available. Obviously all of them are completely self-taught, and simply doing all of them won't earn you a Computer Science degree. But, it'll probably give you a head start if you do decide to pursue a degree. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

As a student who is still attending a university and someone who has experienced the difference between "online CS courses" and "in-class CS courses", I can tell you that pursuing something like a CS degree solely through online education is probably a bad idea. 

First off, schools that are advertising through your television are terrible.  They are strictly there to get as much money from you as possible, pair you up with teachers that don't have a clue as to what they are doing, and slap a degree on your file that is as useful as a flat tire.  Don't waste your time with schools like ITT Tech or Phoenix University.  If possible, find an in-state community college or University that you can find competent teachers. 

Secondly, learning programming concepts and skills in an online course just doesn't work very effectively.  You might as well save your money and teach yourself through your own resources,  because online courses are going to require you to practically teach yourself anyways.  When you're actually in the classroom, asking questions and communicating with classmates and your teachers directly...you're going to graps the material a lot better.  You need to understand a lot of these concepts if you want to be successful in the field. 

That's my advice.  Oh, and keep in mind that video game developers will often flat out require a bachelor's in Computer Science when applying for the job. 

• 5 weeks later...

MIT Opencourseware has a bunch of computer science courses freely available. Obviously all of them are completely self-taught, and simply doing all of them won't earn you a Computer Science degree. But, it'll probably give you a head start if you do decide to pursue a degree. 

i have actually looked at these and they seem useful. my college doesn't teach any C++ at all. which is sad.