external psu for pc?

dfsgsfa

why cant we have external psu just like laptops and monitor for desktop pc?

do people mind the size of external brick ? NO

all we need is a tiny universal spliiter inside pc , how long are we being delayed having smaller pc?

you're looking for pico-psu that uses a big external brick?

edit: something like this?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Having the power supply outside the PC doesn't change the size of the pc with the power supply inside it and most of the time it's an actual inconvenience. I don't think you'd like having a power brick the size of a 750W power supply sitting next to your system with an active fan that's going to clog with dust much easier and break down. There do exist ways to externally power a computer anyway, they're just not so common.

9 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

do people mind the size of external brick ? NO

Maybe your personally don't, but I would mind.

Another brick to cable manage? Please no. It gets hot and needs a fan too? Really inconvenient.

The main thing about a desktop is it's an all-inclusive unit. Once you start to add extra items next to it, it will become a real hassle to me.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

11 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

a 750W power supply sitting next to your system with an active fan that's going

ideally it should have one thicker cable to conect like a modular splitter inside the case to minimize space used

if external psu need that much cooling, it could be passive cool with any al heatsinks as well

there is also sfx 750w psu , how annoying could it be outside the case?

imagine pulling your sfx psu outside with all cable bundle together

3 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

ideally it should have one thicker cable to conect like a modular splitter inside the case to minimize space used

a pico-psu....

thing is, components in a PC still needs 5v and 3.3v to function, so there has to be some buck converters on the splitter

Intel is trying to push for 12v only system, and put the responsibility of regulating 5v and 3.3v to the motherboard

so maybe in the future you'll see motherboard accepting a barrel plug as power source, with 12v input voltage

but that is not today

10 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

so maybe in the future you'll see motherboard accepting a barrel plug as power source, with 12v input voltage

if thats the right way, do you think intel could acheive it like 5 yrs ago?

Just now, dfsgsfa said:

if thats the right way, do you think intel could acheive it like 5 yrs ago?

power delivery wise, they could probably do it

but 300W 5 years ago wont get you any good performance PC

recently CPU and GPU really got efficient at what they do, just look at laptops 5 years ago vs today

Yeah, I'm more than happy having a small internal PSU in my mITX case, moving the problem doesn't help anything. Having to cable manage the resulting huge AC brick doesn't exactly sound like a lot of fun.

You also forget the annoyance that external power supplies often may have proprietary plugs or connectors and may have varying voltages.

We have a few monitors and laptops at work where they've gone walkabout and you're pretty screwed.

They're disproportionally expensive, a genuine or good quality replacement can cost far more than they're worth.

Like some small things like switches it can be cheaper to buy a whole new one with the supply than source a replacment.

Cheap and even somewhat decent quality SMPS plugpacks have a short lifespan so that's usually a waste of money.

IEC cords are cheap and easy to get.