Headphones for music/gaming/movies on onboard audio

Mateyyy

I've been using a pair of Sennheiser Game Ones for quite a while now and I'm thinking of upgrading, mostly because I've since upgraded to a standalone microphone (so I don't need the one that's on the headset), they're not the most comfortable thing I've ever worn and I kind of want to go back to closed back headphones (because of the sound leakage I've got with these open back Sennheisers and to block off some keyboard noise).

I don't have a DAC, Amp or anything of that sort, ideally I'd want to get the most out of these headphones with the onboard audio on my motherboard, which uses the S1220A codec (basically a custom Realtek ALC1220).

I listen to all kinds of music, I need to hear footsteps well in more competitive games I play and I'd like them to be comfortable for long periods of use (my head's kind of on the large side, so small headphones won't work for me).

My budget's around €150, though prices are pretty weird here so here's three options I was looking at, to also give you an idea of what price bracket I'm considering:

• Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 Ohm) - I see these being recommended quite often on here and I've heard good things about Beyerdynamic in general (I think it's safe to say that I can't drive the 250 Ohm variant with just onboard audio)
  • Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - they look damn good, but I haven't seen them being recommended too often recently
  • Audio-Technica ATH-M50x - they also look quite good, but I don't really care for the whole portability aspect and I definitely wouldn't sacrifice audio quality for it

I'm interested in hearing some opinions from people that actually know something about audio, unlike me haha. Cheers!

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I used to have the DT 770 Pros, quality is top notch and they are one of the most comfortable headphones i have worn, sound stage is pretty good too. I cant really speak for the others as i havent tried them, but i have heard that the sound stage of the m50x is pretty small. 

I do wish that the Dt 770 pros had a removable cable like the custom one pros.

i7-7700k @4.9Hz/MSI GTX 1070/Gigabyte z270x-Ultra Gaming/2tb Samsung 850 Evo/16gb Corsair Vengence LPX/Lian Li 011 Dynamic/Corsair RM750x

Glorious Model O/Corsair K70 MX Brown

Windows 10 64bit

23 minutes ago, the public said:

I used to have the DT 770 Pros, quality is top notch and they are one of the most comfortable headphones i have worn, sound stage is pretty good too. I cant really speak for the others as i havent tried them, but i have heard that the sound stage of the m50x is pretty small. 

I do wish that the Dt 770 pros had a removable cable like the custom one pros.

Yeah I'm not really a fan of not having a removable cable, even if purely for durability/longevity reasons.

What made you move on from the DT 770 Pros?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

45 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Yeah I'm not really a fan of not having a removable cable, even if purely for durability/longevity reasons.

What made you move on from the DT 770 Pros?

Well... removable cable mod gone wrong. So right now im using the akg k7xx for most applications which are farely nice, they're almost too light for me though.

i7-7700k @4.9Hz/MSI GTX 1070/Gigabyte z270x-Ultra Gaming/2tb Samsung 850 Evo/16gb Corsair Vengence LPX/Lian Li 011 Dynamic/Corsair RM750x

Glorious Model O/Corsair K70 MX Brown

Windows 10 64bit

Out of what is listed the 770 is the best sounding one especially for gaming. Custom game and pro plus aren't bad either. Other alternatives are the one more triple driver over ears and maybe the takstar pro 82

I agree with Rice Guru. The thing is. I have the DT 990 pros and they are extremely comfortable and light. Also dont worry about the longevity of the cable. It wont come off. It sits in there like a tank.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)