Best Headphones Under $300

Optane^

Hi there

I am looking for headphones under $300. I currently have Astro A40 TR's but I think it's time for something better (& I'm giving these to my friend)

I'm looking for something with decent bass, preferable open back. Using for gaming / YouTube / music.

I have mainly been looking at the ATH M50x's, Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm or Beyerdynamic DT990's 250ohm. I know I would need a dac for the DT990's. Both the same price around $150, just not sure. 

Leave any suggestions or thoughts, thanks!

PC - i7 12700K | EVGA FTW3 3090 | Corsair H150i | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A | 32GB Corsair Vengance | Lian Li O11 Evo & EVGA 1k PSU

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

I would recommend the Dt 990 and the FiiO E10K. Both are very good options. Do you have a mic to go with it?

Just now, Hackerman25 said:

I would recommend the Dt 990 and the FiiO E10K. Both are very good options. Do you have a mic to go with it?

Yes, I have an AT2020 so I'm good there. Do you have personal exp with the DT990's?

PC - i7 12700K | EVGA FTW3 3090 | Corsair H150i | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A | 32GB Corsair Vengance | Lian Li O11 Evo & EVGA 1k PSU

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

23 minutes ago, Optane^ said:

Hi there

I am looking for headphones under $300. I currently have Astro A40 TR's but I think it's time for something better (& I'm giving these to my friend)

I'm looking for something with decent bass, preferable open back. Using for gaming / YouTube / music.

I have mainly been looking at the ATH M50x's, Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm or Beyerdynamic DT990's 250ohm. I know I would need a dac for the DT990's. Both the same price around $150, just not sure. 

Leave any suggestions or thoughts, thanks!

You could look at the hyper cloud  headset  with mic they are super comfortable for long hrs of gaming or I use the Plantronics  rig 800lx wireless with Dolby atmos.. I've had no problem with either headset  and the rig800 is about $180.00 and the hyper cloud  range from $100 and up

Just now, mike06069 said:

You could look at the hyper cloud  headset  with mic they are super comfortable for long hrs of gaming or I use the Plantronics  rig 800lx wireless with Dolby atmos.. I've had no problem with either headset  and the rig800 is about $180.00 and the hyper cloud  range from $100 and up

I really don't want a "gaming" headset. I don't need the mic as I've got my own. I want something with better sound quality.

-

3 minutes ago, mike06069 said:

Oh gotcha then try any of the Logitech headset  they have good sound 

31 minutes ago, Hackerman25 said:

thoughts 
image.thumb.png.0d0122145e4fe4bb21623837ca655a25.png

-

A good power full dac amp to consider at $150 is the fiio k5 pro or a combination of a cheap dongle dac or your mobo.and a monoprice liquid spark or any of the magni models.

Just now, rice guru said:

A good power full dac amp to consider at $150 is the fiio k5 pro or a combination of a cheap dongle dac or your mobo.and a monoprice liquid spark or any of the magni models.

image.thumb.png.f3276bdaf42b51444e867d3507cd073a.png

-

Just now, Optane^ said:

thoughts 
image.thumb.png.0d0122145e4fe4bb21623837ca655a25.png

Personally wouldn't recommend the Vali  for a beginner into audio tubes have a life span so going solid state is a better option. I also wouldn't recc the e10k  for  a 250 ohm 990 speaking from experience it sucks.

Consider the liquid spark as an alternative to the vali..it's a warm amp but also does a lot to smooth out the Treble the 990 has. 

Just now, rice guru said:

Personally wouldn't recommend the Vali  for a beginner into audio tubes have a life span so going solid state is a better option. I also wouldn't recc the e10k  for  a 250 ohm 990 speaking from experience it sucks.

1 minute ago, rice guru said:

Consider the liquid spark as an alternative to the vali..it's a warm amp but also does a lot to smooth out the Treble the 990 has. 

well fuck. are the 990's worth it and I just need to find a decent amp?

-

2 minutes ago, Optane^ said:

well fuck. are the 990's worth it and I just need to find a decent amp?

they are my daily drivers . but I itry to no reccomend them as much as possible cause they are amp picky, and you need a particular set of ears to really enjoy them. a safer bet would be the 770 250 ohm or 880 600 or 250 ohm as the treble on those arent murder to most ears. the easiest to drive but sorta hard to find stock right now. but easiest for me to reccomend to everyone is the beyerdynamic tygr, basically a 990 but easy to drive off most things like a phone or motherboard, gamiing performance is almost if not just as good. and the treble doesnt murder most people. I would look into that instead. if you stil want a dac and amp it will run off most amps great especially if your hoping to get an interface, or a dac amp that can run a modmic s well like a EPOS gsx 300 which I havent heard yet but even as thtat as the case Im more comfortable recommending over the likes of a e10k. 

8 minutes ago, rice guru said:

they are my daily drivers . but I itry to no reccomend them as much as possible cause they are amp picky, and you need a particular set of ears to really enjoy them. a safer bet would be the 770 250 ohm or 880 600 or 250 ohm as the treble on those arent murder to most ears. the easiest to drive but sorta hard to find stock right now. but easiest for me to reccomend to everyone is the beyerdynamic tygr, basically a 990 but easy to drive off most things like a phone or motherboard, gamiing performance is almost if not just as good. and the treble doesnt murder most people. I would look into that instead. if you stil want a dac and amp it will run off most amps great especially if your hoping to get an interface, or a dac amp that can run a modmic s well like a EPOS gsx 300 which I havent heard yet but even as thtat as the case Im more comfortable recommending over the likes of a e10k. 

I'm going to go to my local guitar center and see if they have anything. Seems like Beyer has the most comfortable of them all too with those ear cups.

I like the 990's cause they're open back and the 770's are closed. Might go with the 990's and a decent dac. What do you mean by treble murder? High pitched or what?

-

1 minute ago, Optane^ said:

I'm going to go to my local guitar center and see if they have anything. 

I like the 990's cause they're open back and the 770's are closed. Might go with the 990's and a decent dac. What do you mean by treble murder? High pitched or what?

the higher pitches are very forward and agressive so snares and such can sound piercing if you nrrd open the 880s or tygrs make a great alternative

1 minute ago, rice guru said:

the higher pitches are very forward and agressive so snares and such can sound piercing if you nrrd open the 880s or tygrs make a great alternative

Appreciate it.

-

i have some sennheiser 6xx's that rock, for my pc i use a lower end senn with a built in mic and a gsx1000 dac for surround. the gsx lends good bass to any headphones imo but im not really an audiophile lol

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

5 hours ago, VeganJoy said:

i have some sennheiser 6xx's that rock, for my pc i use a lower end senn with a built in mic and a gsx1000 dac for surround. the gsx lends good bass to any headphones imo but im not really an audiophile lol

It's a great headphone just not the best for gaming. 

8 hours ago, Hackerman25 said:

No the fiio 10k will not be enough. I would say the ifi zen dac. This one has a truebass button on it.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

Also the DT 990's are awesome for gaming. Don't mind the treble. You will either get used to it or you can just EQ.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

7 hours ago, mike06069 said:

Oh gotcha then try any of the Logitech headset  they have good sound 

No they really don't.... Maybe, just maybe the logitech g x pro or whatever it is called could be good. But not at that level we are talking about. "Gaming" headset companies just rip a part of the driver to get the mic and the looks of the headset itself. It is just stupid.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

41 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Also the DT 990's are awesome for gaming. Don't mind the treble. You will either get used to it or you can just EQ.

Which frequencies are them to tonedown the treble and or the painfull S and T (sibilance)?

I use the APO app with Peace addon.

I have the E10K to power my DT880 250ohm and it does pretty fine job some months ago. But when upgraded to K5 Pro, it's a big difference and nice upgrade. The DT880 250 can get very loud too on Gain 1 no need to have the volume knob on max. For DT990, I'd say as rice guru because of the ear-murderers.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

3 hours ago, CTR640 said:

Which frequencies are them to tonedown the treble and or the painfull S and T (sibilance)?

I have the E10K to power my DT880 250ohm and it does pretty fine job some months ago. But when upgraded to K5 Pro, it's a big difference and nice upgrade. The DT880 250 can get very loud too on Gain 1 no need to have the volume knob on max. For DT990, I'd say as rice guru because of the ear-murderers.

7.5-10k are the frequencies you want to play with 8 k is the most prominent if you want to to target the s tones.

4 hours ago, CTR640 said:

There is some distortion with the fiio e10k with 250ohm headphones.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit