My First Rig

Kmonsen

Budget (including currency): 900-950

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Light video editing but mostly games like Skyrim and Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I am fine running at 1080p. I just came form console so as long as it is above console frame rates it is fine. 

I made this parts list:

14 hours ago, The Sloth said:

15 hours ago, Kmonsen said:

Budget (including currency): 900-950

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Light video editing but mostly games like Skyrim and Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I am fine running at 1080p. I just came form console so as long as it is above console frame rates it is fine. 

I made this parts list:

Why do you trust that psu with high end cards

A little cheaper, faster ram, and the 2060 super is almost identical to 2070 in term of performance

15 hours ago, The Sloth said:

you can even play with RTX on

This is the first time I've heard someone say 'RTX On' unironically. The greatest benefit of an Nvidia card right now is NVENC encoder. Ray Tracing is terribly optimized on everything and DLSS 2.0 is only supported on a small handful of games.

40 minutes ago, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:

A little cheaper, faster ram, and the 2060 super is almost identical to 2070 in term of performance

I'd go with this but absolutely DON'T get the Q300L, it's an awful case with veeeeery little airflow. I'd go ATX and get a mid range ATX case like a phanteks P300 mesh

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

6 hours ago, Aereldor said:

This is the first time I've heard someone say 'RTX On' unironically. The greatest benefit of an Nvidia card right now is NVENC encoder. Ray Tracing is terribly optimized on everything and DLSS 2.0 is only supported on a small handful of games.

if you keep your expections in check, RTX is pretty good, keep in mind it's first gen tech so, you have to really tone down the performance expection. Overall i am really impressed with how transformative RTX is in games like minecraft, quake and Metro Exodus( especelly). 

6 hours ago, Aereldor said:

DLSS 2.0 is only supported on a small handful of games

When it is supported, it brings a lot of improvements without taking too much of a hit in picture quality. 

3 hours ago, The Sloth said:

if you keep your expections in check, RTX is pretty good, keep in mind it's first gen tech so, you have to really tone down the performance expection. Overall i am really impressed with how transformative RTX is in games like minecraft, quake and Metro Exodus( especelly). 

And has the added benefit of performing terribly and not being worth the tradeoff in most titles. With next-gen NVidia GPUs right around the corner that pretty much promise to make RTX viable - it's one of their primary goals - and the 5700xt being faster and cheaper currently, I just can't understand the recommendation of a 2070 non-super right now.

3 hours ago, The Sloth said:

When it is supported, it brings a lot of improvements without taking too much of a hit in picture quality.

When it is supported. It's only well-supported and implemented on five games currently. Control, Battlefield V, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Death Stranding, and Metro Exodus. Sure it'll be in Cyberpunk, but that game comes out around thanksgiving, a bunch of RTX 3000 cards will be out by then. And much as I love CDPR, after that Hairworks disaster in The Witcher 3, I just don't trust them with proprietary NVidia tech performing well.

I don't know about games that added it after the fact. Minecraft RTX is still in Beta, and Wolfenstein Youngblood and Anthem are shitty games anyway.

So yeah, idgaf about DLSS 2.0 until a whole bunch of games support it, and idgaf about Ray Tracing till it doesn't quarter your performance for some pretty lights.