Need help picking components

Budget (including currency): 1500$ CND

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly gaming, maybe some Unity

I've wanted to build a PC for probably the past three years and I've finally saved up a good amount of money this summer to buy one. I'm planning to buy the pieces by the end of the year.  In general, I want advice because I don't really have a clue what I'm actually doing. I just want a good PC that will last a long time that can play at 1440p 60fps. I want to purchase parts from Canadian sites and stores.

These are some of the components I want to build on:

I would prefer a fully modular PSU and a newer MOBO(ex; B550,X570)

3 minutes ago, __se__b said:

Budget (including currency): 1500$ CND

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly gaming, maybe some Unity

I've wanted to build a PC for probably the past three years and I've finally saved up a good amount of money this summer to buy one. I'm planning to buy the pieces by the end of the year.  In general, I want advice because I don't really have a clue what I'm actually doing. I just want a good PC that will last a long time that can play at 1440p 60fps. I want to purchase parts from Canadian sites and stores.

These are some of the components I want to build on:

RAM:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/Team-Group-Vulcan-Z-T-Force-32GB-2x16GB-DDR4-PC4-25600C16-3200MHz-Dual-Channel-Kit-Grey-MY-0AJ-TG.html?campaign=affiliate/tag&utm_source=pcpartpicker&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=affiliategateway

By the end of the year, we will most likely have new CPUs and GPUs, so a parts list from today might not be too relevant at the time when you actually purchase the parts.

If you were to build now though, I'd recommend something along these lines:

I changed the memory, storage and case you picked because:

• this Ripjaws V kit is faster and cheaper because no RGB tax
  • the Silicon Power P34A80 is really about on par with the WD SN750, and it's $15 cheaper
  • the H510 has a very restrictive front panel that allows very little airflow, choking the front intakes

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

By the end of the year, we will most likely have new CPUs and GPUs, so a parts list from today might not be too relevant at the time when you actually purchase the parts.

If you were to build now though, I'd recommend something along these lines:

I changed the memory, storage and case you picked because:

• this Ripjaws V kit is faster and cheaper because no RGB tax
  • the Silicon Power P34A80 is really about on par with the WD SN750, and it's $15 cheaper
  • the H510 has a very restrictive front panel that allows very little airflow, choking the front intakes

I really like these options but are the newer components that'll come out be worth it? I'm I really gonna take advantage of them compared to these?

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

6 minutes ago, __se__b said:

I really like these options but are the newer components that'll come out be worth it? I'm I really gonna take advantage of them compared to these?

Well the performance uplifts, at least on the GPU side, are rumoured to be quite hefty.

Unless everything will be ridiculously high in price, meaning that it wouldn't fit your budget, I don't know why you wouldn't go with the new releases.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Just now, __se__b said:

are the new components going to be similarly priced as these?

we dont know yet until they are actually released, though they shouldn't be far off (take this with a grain of salt) unless they decided to release something crazy that would likely not to be targeted to your budget.

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Well the performance uplifts, at least on the GPU side, are rumoured to be quite hefty.

Unless everything will be ridiculously priced, meaning that it wouldn't fit your budget, I don't know why you wouldn't go with the new releases.

have they announced when they'll be releasing?

4 minutes ago, __se__b said:

Yes, node shrinks from amd and nvidia, and amd possibly making cards worth buying. Nvidia cards expected 2nd week of September (as reported by Gamersnexus) amd gpus should be shortly after (or before) and amd cpus should be here by end of October (hopefully) price tbd

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Just now, __se__b said:

have they announced when they'll be releasing?

What we know so far is that Nvidia will very likely be announcing their Ampere GPUs on September 9th, RDNA2 GPUs from AMD will be launching before the next-gen consoles (which are supposed to come out in the holiday season?) and Zen 3 CPUs from AMD are coming this year.

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

What we know so far is that Nvidia will very likely be announcing their Ampere GPUs on September 9th, RDNA2 GPUs from AMD will be launching before the next-gen consoles (which are supposed to come out in the holiday season?) and Zen 3 CPUs from AMD are coming this year.

ok thx for the help

I think I'll wait a bit longer for the new launches