Stupid motherboard fix?

Hey, I have this old desktop that I wanna throw an old low-power gpu in. However this motherboard looks like a hybrid between a laptop and desktop board as it's powered by a barrel connecter, uses laptop ram, doesn't have a power supply, etc. However it does what seems to be a spot for a 24 pin connector, so my thought is that if I were to solder a 24 pin connector to the board and then plug my gpu in, it should work as it only requires 75watts. But is this a safe/good idea?

IMG_20200809_181051.jpg

If it were proprietary then isn't there a chance that the pin layout on the 24 pin connector are different from the one on the board?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

If it has a PCI-E slots then it should supports the 75w power demand for the gpu. It is standard if im not mistaken up to 75w i think.

You can check how many watts the adapter have, just times the current and the output voltage. If it's over 150w, you should be okay.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

16 minutes ago, rayann said:

However it does what seems to be a spot for a 24 pin connector, so my thought is that if I were to solder a 24 pin connector to the board and then plug my gpu in, it should work as it only requires 75watts. But is this a safe/good idea?

Why? Just use it the way it was intended to be used. A standard PCIe slot doesn't depend on the 24 pin connector, the power may come from somewhere else or be converted to the right voltage right on the mainboard.

13 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

If it has a PCI-E slots then it should supports the 75w power demand for the gpu. It is standard if im not mistaken up to 75w i think.

You can check how many watts the adapter have, just times the current and the output voltage. If it's over 150w, you should be okay.

Incorrect, PCIe can supply up to 75 watts but it's not required or standard to be guaranteed that. A lot of lower power machines (Dell slim machines, etc) only provide 25W of PCIe power.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Incorrect, PCIe can supply up to 75 watts but it's not required or standard to be guaranteed that. A lot of lower power machines (Dell slim machines, etc) only provide 25W of PCIe power.

i see.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

10 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

It has an external power brick that's only 65 watts lol

10 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

Why? Just use it the way it was intended to be used. A standard PCIe slot doesn't depend on the 24 pin connector, the power may come from somewhere else or be converted to the right voltage right on the mainboard.

The GPU I wanna use doesn't have an power connector, it supposed to get all it's power from the pcie slot

2 minutes ago, rayann said:

It has an external power brick that's only 65 watts lol

And what is the voltage of the power supply?

14 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

And what is the voltage of the power supply?

100-240 V

On 8/8/2020 at 4:17 PM, rayann said:

Hey, I have this old desktop that I wanna throw an old low-power gpu in. However this motherboard looks like a hybrid between a laptop and desktop board as it's powered by a barrel connecter, uses laptop ram, doesn't have a power supply, etc. However it does what seems to be a spot for a 24 pin connector, so my thought is that if I were to solder a 24 pin connector to the board and then plug my gpu in, it should work as it only requires 75watts. But is this a safe/good idea?

IMG_20200809_181051.jpg

That is a BTX form factor. 

The PSU is proprietary to the board.

You can still use low power gpu with a molex to 6 pin adapter so you dont have to worry about the board providing it. This will allow use of a slightly larger GPU. 

That all depends on the PSU though. I imagine its 350w or something.

Won't know until you pull the PSU and take a picture of the power supply, see what it can handle.

4 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

That is a BTX form factor. 

The PSU is proprietary to the board.

You can still use low power gpu with a molex to 6 pin adapter so you dont have to worry about the board providing it. This will allow use of a slightly larger GPU. 

That all depends on the PSU though. I imagine its 350w or something.

Won't know until you pull the PSU and take a picture of the power supply, see what it can handle.

The gpu I ha e doesn't have a 6 pin connector and the PSU doesn't have enough wattage to power it, that's why I wanna solder a 24 pin connector to it as the it could possibly supply the 75watts

Itll supply it either way.  The board won't receive "more power" because you soldered a 24 pin connector.

You best bet would be to rig a modern regular atx PSU with the connector you already have...... 

But hey why keep it simple? Test the leads, use the corresponding wires from the PSU to the pig tail and solder it in that way. Might be less head ache??

7 hours ago, rayann said:

100-240 V

Just think about it for a minute: why would I need to know the input voltage range?

I want to know the output voltage. Is it a 12 V power supply? if the answer is "yes", just try something more powerful and it might be able to run a graphics card.