Looking for others to review my PCPP list for platform upgrade.

Joduko

I'm planning an Intel system to replace my old Ivy Bridge gaming PC while reusing as many parts as I can.
I'm reusing my antec case which I've modded to all hell with a window and everything.
I'm reusing my M9i mini tower cooler although I'm getting an RGB fan for it.

I'm going to stick with the RX 580 I've been using until I can get an Ampere card (probably EVGA)

The only parts I don't have listed are my existing case fans (2x 120mm white LED ring fans and an extra 80mm intake fan as part of an add-in drive cage to fill the 5.25'' bays)

Any thoughts or concerns? I've never used a platform utilizing RGB components before so I just hope those all play nicely.

9600k is on a dead platform, not worth your money over a 3600

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

9600k is on a dead platform, not worth your money over a 3600

It would cost me more to go AMD since I would have to buy a new tower cooler though. M9i doesn't have any mounting hardware for AM4.

Plus AM4 won't give me the clockspeeds I'm looking for to maximize performance in the titles I play.

1 minute ago, Damprol said:

It would cost me more to go AMD since I would have to buy a new tower cooler though. M9i doesn't have any mounting hardware for AM4.

Plus AM4 won't give me the clockspeeds I'm looking for to maximize performance in the titles I play.

Then go for a 10400 or 10600k. There's negative reasons to spend that much on a chip without any future on the platform

Or you can just not use the cooler

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

10 minutes ago, Damprol said:

I'm planning an Intel system to replace my old Ivy Bridge gaming PC while reusing as many parts as I can.
I'm reusing my antec case which I've modded to all hell with a window and everything.
I'm reusing my M9i mini tower cooler although I'm getting an RGB fan for it.

I'm going to stick with the RX 580 I've been using until I can get an Ampere card (probably EVGA)

The only parts I don't have listed are my existing case fans (2x 120mm white LED ring fans and an extra 80mm intake fan as part of an add-in drive cage to fill the 5.25'' bays)

Any thoughts or concerns? I've never used a platform utilizing RGB components before so I just hope those all play nicely.

Is there a particular reason you're going for a 4-DIMM setup? 2x 16GB modules will allow for future expansion.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Then go for a 10400 or 10600k. There's negative reasons to spend that much on a chip without any future on the platform

Or you can just not use the cooler

10400 is locked and wouldn't turbo to the speeds I want. 10600k is unjustifiably expensive. It's basically paying an extra 100+ dollars for hyperthreading that I don't need.

1 minute ago, svmlegacy said:

Is there a particular reason you're going for a 4-DIMM setup? 2x 16GB modules will allow for future expansion.

It just looks better to have them all full. My last system had 12GB and I never even used all that.

1 minute ago, Damprol said:

10400 is locked and wouldn't turbo to the speeds I want. 10600k is unjustifiably expensive. It's basically paying an extra 100+ dollars for hyperthreading that I don't need.

It just looks better to have them all full. My last system had 12GB and I never even used all that.

Then wait until you can afford it or they go down in price.

4 minutes ago, Damprol said:

There is a lot more than clock speed to game performance.

Here is a performance summary between the two. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-10400f/21.html

The 10400 is slightly faster in games with the same ram setup. Lots of games seem to like HT aswell.

20 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Yeah buddy that's not a platform upgrade. Just buy a Ryzen 5 3600 and  b450 tomahawk max

15 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Why would I care about there being an "upgrade path"? DDR5 systems are going to be mainstream in another 2 years or so and if I were going to upgrade years down the line I wouldn't be thinking about buying a new CPU for a DDR4 platform.

And even if I did want to stay on the same platform all those years later what does 10th gen have that 9th doesn't? 9700k is basically the same as a 10700k so I would still have an 8c/16t option on the table.

All I wanted was some extra compatibility checking, but all I've gotten is a sales pitch for ryzen. I get that it's good, but I want a processor that can go past 4.2-4.4 Ghz which I've determined will help in the games I play.

51 minutes ago, Slottr said:

56 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Yeah buddy that's not a platform upgrade. Just buy a Ryzen 5 3600 and  b450 tomahawk max

Here I even made a Ryzen 3600x system part list to try and emulate what the Intel system would give me:

I would be paying 47 USD more for a system that has hyperthreading, but would perform worse in the games I play.

9 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

A 3600x is a bad deal. It's $50 more expensive for basically nothing. Your motherboard is overpriced, buy a B450 Tomahawk MAX. Not to mention your 4x8 memory config...

Do you want our help or not? The reason why it's a sales pitch for Ryzen is that it's good. "moar gigaheterz" isn't moar better.

I chose the 3600x in that list because I figured it might be a bit better binned or be able to reach a little higher with XMP or w/e AMD calls their auto-overclocking. Personally I want 4.6 Ghz atleast if not 4.8+, but ryzen 3000 will supposedly only give me 4.2-4.4 at most.

I know not all games benefit from an extra 300,400 Mhz, but for what I play that matters. In Planetside 2 the two systems are a 20+ FPS difference in large fights.

I'm not trying to seem upset. This is the list I put together based on your feedback.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by weird memory configuration. It seems pretty normal to me.

At this point it's a question of Do I care about the value that much or should I spend the extra 30 dollars for the better performing i5?

4 hours ago, BlueScope819 said:

In terms of the weird memory config you won't be able to upgrade in the future because all your RAM slots will be filled. Buy 2x16GB sticks if you really want 32GB but again this is a value machine so you don't need it. You will want to spend that extra $90 on a nice proper 500gb NVME SSD.

As for the CPU a difference in 300 mhz makes almost zero difference because of the massive IPC improvement of Ryzen, (instructions per clock, so it's faster given a certain clockspeed)

You are also locking yourself to a dead and more expensive platform for zero reason whatsoever. If you truly want Intel buy a 10600k but that's basically the only processor on that socket that's worth anything. At the end of the day you are spending $200 more on the CPU and board in which you can move up in GPU price tiers increasing your performance way way more.

The list you have above is just fine, except for the memory. Axe the second kit, and get a better power supply according to the PSU tier list stickyed on the top of the cases and power supplies section. Also you don't need a single 92mm fan, like what?

I've actually got good news. I was finally able to resuscitate my i5 3450. The 24 pin connector must've been messed up after I moved the system once for cleaning and it wouldn't turn on unless I wiggled that wire. I just threw an old spare Antec power supply in to replace it and it seems to be working fine. So now I can keep holding off on upgrading indefinitely, hopefully until DDR5 systems appear.

IVY BRIDGE LIVES

Still can't play on Ultra settings, but I'm too cheap for how well this system has aged. Every time I think it's finally kicked the bucket it just keeps marching.