Graphics card for basic bleander model/render?

Newblesse Obblige

Im going to make model of our prototype product because it is required in our business projec/research and manufacturing one is expensive(we don’t want to spend our budget and we don’t want bulk orders because we just want one product) and takes months to ship because the manufacturer my groupmate found is from China. So we have no choice but to make a render of our prototype. We(my groupmates and I) have no knowledge on how to use Blender but maybe i could learn during weekends. The problem is we don’t have any capable/proper PC for Blender but i am the only member who has a PC with a capable CPU(i5 6400) because my other groupmates uses a old ipad, and a potato laptop. I was thinking of buying a GPU for it. i could use this as an excuse to buy a GPU for games too. what graphics card i should get?

I have used blender for years personally I use a 1070 and it works just fine. You can go higher or lower it's up to you. You don't technically need a gpu cause by default blender uses CPU but it's much slower. If you do get one make sure enable cuda in preferences and select your new gpu. 

Basic Blender does run on potatoes, and I'd reccomend that before spending money for to run such a program.

If it's about the gaming GPU, just be honest about that.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

6 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

Basic Blender does run on potatoes, and I'd reccomend that before spending money for to run such a program.

If it's about the gaming GPU, just be honest about that.

maybe im just finding some excuse to have a GPU. lmao

but jokes aside, when i checked the recommended specs for blender, it said that i should have a gpu with 2 gigs of vram. so i thought i should buy a gpu.

7 hours ago, BlueScope819 said:

Go ahead and figure out if Blender GPU accelerates. What's your prototype product? You could totally send CAD to a local 3d print shop just as a proof of concept

our prototype is a watch. 

we also don’t know how to use CAD. which is easier though? i bet blender is easier(yet still hard/takes time to learn). i but guess i take your 3d printer idea 

2 minutes ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

maybe im just finding some excuse to have a GPU. lmao

but jokes aside, when i checked the recommended specs for blender, it said that i should have a gpu with 2 gigs of vram. so i thought i should buy a gpu.

Take it from the guy who runs Solidworks on a Pentium P6200. You'll be surprised what potatoes can do, given a little patience.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

9 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Take it from the guy who runs Solidworks on a Pentium P6200. You'll be surprised what potatoes can do, given a little patience.

cool, ill give it a try. this gave some assurance that my potato pc can do things lol

10 hours ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

Im going to make model of our prototype product because it is required in our business projec/research and manufacturing one is expensive(we don’t want to spend our budget and we don’t want bulk orders because we just want one product) and takes months to ship because the manufacturer my groupmate found is from China. So we have no choice but to make a render of our prototype. We(my groupmates and I) have no knowledge on how to use Blender but maybe i could learn during weekends. The problem is we don’t have any capable/proper PC for Blender but i am the only member who has a PC with a capable CPU(i5 6400) because my other groupmates uses a old ipad, and a potato laptop. I was thinking of buying a GPU for it. i could use this as an excuse to buy a GPU for games too. what graphics card i should get?

Quadro RTX 8000s aren't expensive

6 hours ago, BlueScope819 said:

Do you need to do the actual gears and whatnot so it works? 

nope, just how it looks. my groupmates and i are already taking about 3d printing the prototype but cant decide yet since it involves money.

5 hours ago, MojaveTM06 said:

Quadro RTX 8000s aren't expensive

wat. i dont understand lol

1650 super would do the job and allow you to do some 1080p gaming!

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

9 hours ago, BlueScope819 said:

Yeah in my area there is a local 3dprint shop where they will basically do anything you want for something the size of a watch it would be like $10. My school actually has like 3 3d printers that students can use for free (and a laser cutter) so that's awesome.

sucks to be me. we dont have 3d printers in school and it seems we dont have a 3d printing service nearby. 

4 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Doesn't have to be a shop that does it, what country are you in? You could just ask around at your school if someone has one they are like $200 I think for a decent one so you might just consider buying one.

Philippines and sadly, i dont know anyone who has a 3d printer and i dont have any space for the 3d printer and it would be a waste of money since i will use it once. 

8 hours ago, Zberg said:

1650 super would do the job and allow you to do some 1080p gaming!

I want to be more practical than getting what i want for now. I would build a new PC if Im going to buy that.

On 8/8/2020 at 11:45 PM, 5GigaaHertz said:

what graphics card i should get?

If you can find a cheap second hand Vega 64 GPU, go for it. Vega 64 can render blender quite fast (thanks to its 2048-bit memory interface) and provide a decent gaming performance. You need AMD ProRender software installed and at least Blender 2.8.0 for Vega to work its magic.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

1 hour ago, BlueScope819 said:

Ouch, that's a tough one. I would still ask around to see what you could get because going with a proper model from China isn't cost effective at all.

but we are still talking about it but we cant answer it yet. if there were a 3d printing service. it would be in our capital city but im 40 km away from the capital city so i cant go there if im going to. only if they offer courier delivery

57 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

If you can find a cheap second hand Vega 64 GPU, go for it. Vega 64 can render blender quite fast (thanks to its 2048-bit memory interface) and provide a decent gaming performance. You need AMD ProRender software installed and at least Blender 2.8.0 for Vega to work its magic.

vega 64 isnt popular in country so i doubt i could find any vega 64 and if i ever found one, it will be expensive plus it consumes a lot of power. 

18 minutes ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

it will be expensive plus it consumes a lot of power. 

Yeah, Vega 64 consume lots of power if you push it to the max. It hogs about 330W (If you increase the Power limit to 50%) at full load. But, it sure is fast and can get the job done. Anyway, that's just a suggestion, thought if you can find one, that will be a viable option.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

7 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Yeah, Vega 64 consume lots of power if you push it to the max. It hogs about 330W (If you increase the Power limit to 50%) at full load. But, it sure is fast and can get the job done. Anyway, that's just a suggestion, thought if you can find one, that will be a viable option.

actually i found one and it cost around $200 when i converted from my local currency

5 minutes ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

actually i found one and it cost around $200 when i converted from my local currency

I see.

Anyway, these are prosumer GPU, so there are not a lot in the market.