which aio is better?

i’m planing on overclocking the ryzen 7 3700x to 4.1-4.2 ghz which aio would be enough arctic liquid freezer 240mm or 360mm 

Just now, vEryk said:

i’m planing on overclocking the ryzen 7 3700x to 4.1-4.2 ghz which aio would be enough arctic liquid freezer 240mm or 360mm 

If you don't care about the whole AIO asthetic you should try and get a good aircooler. They are cheaper, more consistent, less risky, and quieter. The Dark rock 4 is very good iirc.

4 minutes ago, vEryk said:

well more surface area = better cooling. whether u need it is different. If 360 fits it will also look a lot better.

1 minute ago, vEryk said:

less risky?

Yeah water coolers have chances of failure. Remember this is liquid. The only way an air cooler can fail is a fan and that’s a $10 replacement. Once a watercooler fails though... yikes

4.1-4.2GHz doesn't sound too far off stock speeds, or at least common PBO speeds. You really don't need a 360mm AIO to do that on a 3700X.

Would you be open to air cooling? You can get a lot more performance for the money, while being potentially quieter and infinitely more reliable.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

but all aio have warranty on them if they fail you’re going to get a replacement for the parts it damaged and the aio itself 

9 minutes ago, vEryk said:

but all aio have warranty on them if they fail you’re going to get a replacement for the parts it damaged and the aio itself 

Best case scenario: you're right!  Worst case scenario: you're wrong!  Likely scenario: it outlasts its warranty and THEN fries your system.

I have a Ryzen 7 3700x and unless you're going to run your system full bore (such as running CPU intensive performance testing software), a decent air cooler will handle it just fine.  I have the Noctua NH-D15 and it keeps it at 75 degrees under heavy load.  Any 240mm AIO will likely do better unless your case has amazing airflow (mine kept it under 70 degrees under heavy load, but my case evidently has not-so-good airflow).  

As mentioned, though, AIOs (water cooling in general, really) are a comparatively risky proposition.  You'll probably want to get one with a temperature readout on its display like the NZXT Kraken Z series (though there are cheaper options).  Why?  Because if the pump fails, you won't know.  Your only indication that something is wrong will be your computer shutting off randomly and hopefully not burning itself out.  If you've got a readout, at the very least there will be some indication that something is wrong -- either the temperature will start climbing or the readout will not be visible.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

I keep track of my cpu temps and clock speeds 24/7 really 

8 minutes ago, vEryk said:

I keep track of my cpu temps and clock speeds 24/7 really 

Cool -- so the only remaining risk is of the AIO leaking and pouring liquid all over your stuff, which is a remote risk, but still a real one.  I personally like the AIO aesthetic and I definitely believe it will outperform air in any normal case (i.e., a mid tower), but not by so much that it is a requirement.  As I mentioned, I use a good air cooler in my case and am happy with it despite the +5 or so degrees it costs me.  So long as you are aware of the risk and can live with it, any 240mm will perform about as well as any other.  A 360 obviously won't hurt, but the dropoff in performance is apparently substantial.  Definitely not worth it on a Ryzen 7, IMO.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD