3900x stuck at 3.7ghz

3900x in asus b450-f stuck at 3.7ghz. Tried enabling and disabling things in bios as suggested from time this was asked in the past but nothing helped. It was find the other day and would go up above 4. 

6 minutes ago, Nik_ said:

3900x in asus b450-f stuck at 3.7ghz. Tried enabling and disabling things in bios as suggested from time this was asked in the past but nothing helped. It was find the other day and would go up above 4. 

Thats the base clock, isnt it?
Have you tried stress testing / benchmarking your system to see if it then goes up?
Cause high performance CPUs tend to use their base clock when idle and only power up if needed. Otherwise maybe try resetting your CMOS to look whether or not you made some wrong adjustments in the bios. 

Remember: If you want me to see your reply - Quote me!

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.

what are the temperature like?

monitor with ryzen master

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, JayBe said:

Thats the base clock, isnt it?
Have you tried stress testing / benchmarking your system to see if it then goes up?
Cause high performance CPUs tend to use their base clock when idle and only power up if needed. Otherwise maybe try resetting your CMOS to look whether or not you made some wrong adjustments in the bios. 

yea I ran cinebench and ryzen master stress. I havent changed anything in bios except for enabling and since disabled DOCP or w/e but I'll give resetting a shot

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

what are the temperature like?

monitor with ryzen master

currently ~47 at idle

Just now, Nik_ said:

currently ~47 at idle

what about underload?

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

what about underload?

ran cbr15 a few times never got above 66, stayed at 3.7ghz and 1.1v 

Just now, Nik_ said:

ran cbr15 a few times never got above 66, stayed at 3.7ghz and 1.1v 

hmm, that sounds like it's locked at 1.1v and a 3900x on 1.1v is expected to operate around that temp

try pressing "Reset" at the left side of ryzen master to reset to stock settings, see if it fixes it

Tried earlier and again now, doesn't seem to have any effect. I'm going to try resetting cmos to see if they has any effect. 

16 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

hmm, that sounds like it's locked at 1.1v and a 3900x on 1.1v is expected to operate around that temp

try pressing "Reset" at the left side of ryzen master to reset to stock settings, see if it fixes it

Found my issue. My power plan had max usage at 99% which locked me to base clock. But now im noticing some other odd things, but they may not be solvable with the current setup. my idle clock is higher then my load clock, idle around 4.2ghz, 55c and under load at 4.0ghz, 81c. and my cpu fan is noticeably louder at these clocks and tempts which is what initially prompted me to edit the power plan, the noise it self isnt a major deal but its the occasional ramping that gets to me. 

Just now, Nik_ said:

My power plan had max usage at 99% which locked me to base clock.

hmm, learnt something new

1 minute ago, Nik_ said:

my idle clock is higher then my load clock, idle around 4.2ghz, 55c and under load at 4.0ghz, 81c.

what power plan did u use? amd balanced?

1 minute ago, Nik_ said:

my idle clock is higher then my load clock, idle around 4.2ghz, 55c and under load at 4.0ghz, 81c.

That's expected if your idle is not fully "idle", so whatever background task is using a boost state in at least one core. Once you load all cores, clocks naturally drop, while power consumption and temperatures increase. Hence the fans and everything else.

1 minute ago, Nik_ said:

the noise it self isnt a major deal but its the occasional ramping that gets to me. 

Sound like you need to adjust your fan curves to your liking.

9 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

hmm, learnt something new

what power plan did u use? amd balanced?

windows high

7 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

That's expected if your idle is not fully "idle", so whatever background task is using a boost state in at least one core. Once you load all cores, clocks naturally drop, while power consumption and temperatures increase. Hence the fans and everything else.

Sound like you need to adjust your fan curves to your liking.

That makes sense.

Where do I go about doing that. I've never done any cpu overclocking in the past, or present for that matter. 

Edit: Seems as though one core/thread is "stuck" at 100% not sure whyd that'd be I don't have much open

Just now, Nik_ said:

windows high

try amd balanced

9 minutes ago, Nik_ said:

you're using ryzen master to monitor these right?

1 minute ago, Nik_ said:

Where do I go about doing that.

the bios, for the most part

3 minutes ago, Nik_ said:

Where do I go about doing that. I've never done ever cpu overclocking in the past, or present for that matter. 

According you Asus' websie, you should have something called "Fan Xpert4" , which should be somewhere in your BIOS and probably also as software you can install in windows (or as part of some bundle of "utilities"). There you'll be able to set a couple of temperature thresholds and fan speeds. Hence, if the default ones produce too many ramp-ups and ramp-downs, you can adjust those points until you get consistent speeds (even set the speeds to a constant number), or to have fewer transitions (like the fans remaining quiet unless a heavy load is applied, in which case speeds remain high for the duration of it).

Doing it in Bios is better for persistence after reboots and even after OS changes, but a Windows utility will be better to play around and figure out what the best settings are for you.

Edit: Seems as though one core/thread is "stuck" at 100% not sure whyd that'd be I don't have much open

Use task manager to find out which program is responsible for it. Could be Windows updates or Windows Defender, but also many other things.

17 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

try amd balanced

you're using ryzen master to monitor these right?

the bios, for the most part

oops, couldn't switch off high and in trying to fix it managed to deleted the ryzen plan

edit: found the download will see if it has any effect

I was indeed

10 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

According you Asus' websie, you should have something called "Fan Xpert4" , which should be somewhere in your BIOS and probably also as software you can install in windows (or as part of some bundle of "utilities"). There you'll be able to set a couple of temperature thresholds and fan speeds. Hence, if the default ones produce too many ramp-ups and ramp-downs, you can adjust those points until you get consistent speeds (even set the speeds to a constant number), or to have fewer transitions (like the fans remaining quiet unless a heavy load is applied, in which case speeds remain high for the duration of it).

Doing it in Bios is better for persistence after reboots and even after OS changes, but a Windows utility will be better to play around and figure out what the best settings are for you.

Use task manager to find out which program is responsible for it. Could be Windows updates or Windows Defender, but also many other things.

I knew I used something for it in the past but could never remember what it was, turns out it was hidden under a dropdown all this time, thanks. 

Seems like its windows defender but I recall it ever locking a thread at 100% before. 

1 minute ago, Nik_ said:

couldn't switch off high and in trying to fix it managed to deleted the ryzen plan

'-'

well at least check the minimum cpu usage in the power plan, is it set to 100% or smth

was it all core 4.2 or just 1 core?

2 minutes ago, Nik_ said:

I knew I used something for it in the past but could never remember what it was, turns out it was hidden under a dropdown all this time, thanks. 

hmm... i've had issues with AI suite so i wouldnt recommend it

it messes with my power plan and refuse to let my pc sleep/shutdown

Seems like its windows defender but I recall it ever locking a thread at 100% before.

hmm maybe it's doing something

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

'-'

well at least check the minimum cpu usage in the power plan, is it set to 100% or smth

was it all core 4.2 or just 1 core?

hmm... i've had issues with AI suite so i wouldnt recommend it

it messes with my power plan and refuse to let my pc sleep/shutdown

hmm maybe it's doing something

Got the ryzen plans back, on ryzen balanced now. 

Seems like all cores are fluctuating up to 4.2

Good to know

Shouldn't be, turned real time off temporarily and its not running a scan.

core 9 is doing some wacky stuff https://gyazo.com/1c435cfc26eadd093ca25fb1c10337aa

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

something poking your cpu, have to find out what it is

the only thing using any cpu(above 1%) is anti malware service exec at 5%

2 minutes ago, Nik_ said:

the only thing using any cpu(above 1%) is anti malware service exec at 5%

try disabling it temporarily

you might wanna make a new thread about this, you probably need to use resource monitor, which im not familiar with

it is a new issue from when we started, after all

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

you might wanna make a new thread about this, you probably need to use resource monitor, which im not familiar with

it is a new issue from when we started, after all

Sounds like a plan for another day, getting late. 

Thanks for all the help, was much appreciated