Is there any reason why a rx 5700xt would work with a build?

My friend just got the parts for his pc and I went to help assemble it with him and when everything was all good, plugged in, tucked away, and ready to boot... the tv wouldn’t pick up a signal from the pc. We tried two cords in two ports and nothing. I noticed the vga light was on so the gpu itself was the problem. We tried a couple of times and nothing. Finally, his uncle had given him a bunch of old parts he could use if he wanted so we put in an older gpu and it worked. So it’s not the port, so one would assume it’s the gpu itself, right? The lights and fans on the gpu turned on so it was getting power so I’m checking to see what are the options for it not working.

The parts in question are a:

Cpu: Amd ryzen 5 3600

Mobo: Asus TUF x570 gaming WiFi 

gpu: power color red devil rx 5700xt

Ram: 2x gskill 8gb, 3200mhz

Psu: evga gq 750w gold 

1tb hdd and 1tb ssd from WD

and phsnteks p400 case

When we put in the old gpu a second time, I went ahead and booted and started the whole pc thinking maybe the MoBo needed a bios update and after the pc was completely set up, I shit it down again and tried the card and nothing. So currently it is running a GTX 660 from I believe evga. The  new gpu was sent back for a new one and that is on its way because we assumed it was doa. If anyone has any ideas if there are conflicting hardware or anything that could mean it wasn’t doa please let me know. I will be heartbroken if we go to put this in again and it doesn’t work for a second time.

most probably a dead GPU from your diagnosis

could also be bios settings (maybe pcie gen causing issues?), but that's rarely the case

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Seems like the gpu was broken, I doubt anything else would be causing that

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

most probably a dead GPU from your diagnosis

could also be bios settings (maybe pcie gen causing issues?), but that's rarely the case

So let’s say it wasn’t very poor luck with a doa gpu, if it was a rare bios setting problem, what would that be and how would it be fixed before trying the new gpu when it comes in?

Just now, HephMiner said:

if it was a rare bios setting problem, what would that be and how would it be fixed before trying the new gpu when it comes in?

i've had system not booting unless i set the pcie speed to gen 2 before, but that's a weird setup that i wont get into

just try the new gpu, see if it works

if it doesnt, you can try setting your pcie to gen 3 x16 with another gpu, and plug the new gpu in

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately