I botched windows 10 install

vishy92

Hey!

I wanted to reinstall windows 10 and in a rush i selected the wrong drive. I immediately reset the pc thinking its fine, but now my secondary drive has windows files all over and it wont let me delete them.

Anything I could do? There is a lot of data on the secondary drive so i would like to avoid a backup and format.

Help greatly appreciated!

The easiest option would be to just copy over important files, wipe the drive, and copy the files back. You could try to manually delete all the Windows folders and files using an external Linux USB or something, but it's way more hassle. Just copy, wipe, and copy back.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

9 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

The easiest option would be to just copy over important files, wipe the drive, and copy the files back. You could try to manually delete all the Windows folders and files using an external Linux USB or something, but it's way more hassle. Just copy, wipe, and copy back.

Hmm I wanted to avoid that as my laptop is slow. Guess I'll do that then. Thank you!

There is also other method - just do nothing. These files are not harmful and probably do not take more than 1% of your precious space. Just ignore them.

Also - you can use tools to delete protected folders.

On 8/4/2020 at 10:33 AM, homeap5 said:

There is also other method - just do nothing. These files are not harmful and probably do not take more than 1% of your precious space. Just ignore them.

Also - you can use tools to delete protected folders.

I just formatted the drive, but thanks!