M.2 only showing up sometimes

Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,

for it to be showing up randomly like that means you likely have a defective board or drive. it could also possibly be the CPU, such as an issue with the lanes, but that's not terribly likely. You could, however, check the mounting pressure.

I just upgraded from a gigabyte b450m to a mai b550m mother board as the b450 board only had 2 dimm slots on it and I need to bump up from 16 to 32gb of ram now working at home on my personal computer. 

however I am facing an issue which from searching around people have similar issues but can’t find anyone with the exact same issue as mine. 

I use a intel 660p 1TB m.2 as my boot drive for windows however in either m.2 slot on this board it only seems to show up 1/3 times I boot the system. My 4 data drives 2 HDD and 2 SSD all show up just fine everything else is working okay and I’ve used this drive in two other motherboards one the for mentioned gigabyte matx board and one a asrock itx board with no issue whatsoever in this way so I think it must be the motherboard. I tried reseating the drive moving the drive between the gen 3 slot and the gen 4 slot updated the bios to the latest available version on the msi site currently (7C94v11) and I attempted to update the firmware of the intel m.2 but when booting into the update utility  couldn’t get the drive to show up so that one is no dice. 

I see online it’s quite a common issue with MSI boards but most people seem to report bios updates fix their issues. Any help is super appreciated as this is very annoying. 

I lurk a lot

2 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Is there a card in the lower PCI-E slot?

No I just have my RTX 2070 in the top 16x slot both 4x slots are empty so is the lowest 16x physical slot (which I think is really just 8x)

I lurk a lot

for it to be showing up randomly like that means you likely have a defective board or drive. it could also possibly be the CPU, such as an issue with the lanes, but that's not terribly likely. You could, however, check the mounting pressure.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

It's actually 4x and when an M.2 is plugged in, they both interfere witch each other. I have the larger B550 ATX board and no issues with M.2 at the moment. I have updated to MSI's AGESA 1.0.0.2 as well. Maybe try to reinstall windows.

8 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

7 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

It's actually 4x and when an M.2 is plugged in, they both interfere witch each other. I have the larger B550 ATX board and no issues with M.2 at the moment. I have updated to MSI's AGESA 1.0.0.2 as well. Maybe try to reinstall windows.

It’s 10pm here so I will try reseating CPU in the morning and remounting the AIO pump/coldplate  and if that doesn’t work I’ll try updating the AGESA if I can find the update for it as there doesn’t seem to be much listed on MSIs site for this board. it’s weird cause I’ve used this same drive/cpu/gpu combo across 3 boards now the first two all worked without a hitch. If that fails guess I’ll have to RMA the board and suffer though my work with maxed out ram for a few more weeks. On the times it does boot it’s perfectly stable too had it on for 12 hours solid yesterday with no issues. 

I lurk a lot

19 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Just reseated the CPU and remounted the cooler and now its working perfectly thanks so much!! would never of thought of that saved me the bother of RMAing the board!!!

I lurk a lot