Updating FreeNAS build question.

Can I upgrade my CPU/Motherboard/RAM of my NAS without loosing the files on my hard drives? or will I have to Move the files to new hard drives on the new build?

I plan to update my FreeNAS from a Phenom II 1045T build to a FX 8320 build, Would this cause any issues? Do all I Need to make sure is that the hard drives are plugged into the right SATA ports?

I have 8TB of data I can't lose so I would like some confirmation on what needs to be done before updating the hardware.

Thanks in advance!

7 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

You can upgrade the hardware without problems just make sure the size of your RAM caches and stuff are all set correctly.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by RAM caches? I don't remember setting any of those up in the initial install.

1 hour ago, BlueScope819 said:

FreeNAS uses your system memory as a cache for frequently accessed data, loading the files into RAM. You configure how much RAM you want FreeNAS to use. It speeds it up a lot. Also if you have any L2 caches (SSD doing the same thing) or SLOG (intent to write log) you need to make sure it's all configured correctly.

I'll have to check into that, Speeding it up faster than 100Mbps would be nice.

Other than that, I was able to successfully swap the hardware. Took me a minute to realize I needed to plug it into a monitor to get the new IP address.

That said, thank you! Went smoothly.