144Hz 8bpc or 120Hz 10bpc?

AncientPistol

I have the Benq ex2780q monitor that supports upto 144Hz refresh rate and 10bpc color but I am not able to turn them both on together. In the Nvidia control panel I am able to enable either 8bpc color with 144Hz or 10bpc with only 120Hz refresh rate. GPU is RTX2070 Super and I'm using a DP1.4 cable from Bluerigger to connect to the monitor.

With 144Hz 8bpc in nvidia control panel, it shows 8-bit in windows display settings when HDR is off and "8-bit with dithering" when HDR is on. With 120Hz 10bpc it shows 10-bit in windows display settings in both cases.

Is there a way to use 10bpc color at 144Hz? If not which setting should I use? Use case includes games like GTA V, Tomb Raider, Borderlands, Minecraft RTX etc and a little bit of comp games like CSGO, Valorant but not much.

I doubt it would be possible. the prosessor on the monitor probably cannot handle 10bit 144hz so you have to choose. its a hardware limitation so there is nothing you can do about it. also.. 8bit with dithering probably means 6bit + frc which really reduce overall picture quality and isnt worth it. 

For gaming, 10bit is not worth it over faster refresh for fps games like csgo. but, for games like TR, frames dont matter as much so 10bit might be worth it. 

• 5 months later...

I just received this monitor yesterday and have it set to 144hz YCbCr422 10bpc. All I did was set and apply 120hz YCbCr422 > then select and apply 10bpc > then set and apply 144hz. OSD 'System > Information' and fps counters show 144hz, windows display settings & NVIDIA control panel both show 10-bit.

No idea if the round about method of set and apply, set and apply was necessary (or if I'm actually using FRC? - I just happened to step through it like that and haven't made the effort to compare settings at this point. Just wanted to share in case it helps anyone. Cheers