What new 5G Phone should I buy for 450ish USD?

piemadd

Hello everyone, I'm planning on upgrading my phone soon due to the fact that my current phone has water damage and restarts randomly due to that. Below are a few things I'm looking for, and a few musts. Any recommendations appreciated! (Note: I do not care how much spyware said phone may come with, I will be reflashing anyways.) I was looking at the honor 30s 5g, but I'm open to recommendations.

Connectivity: 5G functionality is a must, and must be compatible with TMobile/Sprint

Snapdragon 765g, an equivalent, or something faster with 5g

Storage: 64gb with expandability or 128gb with no expansion

ram: 6gb preferred, 4gb ok

screen, at least 1080p

cameras: 4k30fps, the more sensors the better

Please ask any questions you may have! Thanks!

i like trains 🙂

5 hours ago, pierom_qwerty said:

TMobile/Sprint

Are you on T Mobile or Sprint? That makes a difference, the merger happen relatively recently and its going to be hard to find a phone that works well on both networks. I expect that Sprints network won't be around long. T Mobile bought another CDMA provider back in the day (Metro PCS) and I think with in 2 years they shut down that network and reused the bands. Metro phones use the same towers as T Mobile. T Mobile bought Sprint for some of the network bands. My mom's Verizon phone did work on T Mobile, just not well. You might find that a Sprint phone lacks some of the important bands for T Mobile and some T Mobile devices lack bands that are important on Sprint. 

It really comes down to radio support and the bands that those radios use. 

Here is the details on the T Mobile network that matter. 

Spoiler

5G

• Frequencies that can provide 5G: 
    • Band n71 (600 MHz)
    • Band n41 (2.5 GHz)
    • Band n260 (39 GHz)
    • Band n261 (28 GHz)
  • With 5G, high amounts of data can be transmitted more efficiently than 4G LTE. 
  • One of the ways T-Mobile is rapidly deploying 5G is integrating mid-band 2.5 GHz spectrum from Sprint.
  • Check out What is 5G? to learn how it works!

Extended Range 4G LTE

• Frequencies that can provide Extended Range LTE
    • Band 12 (700 MHz)
    • Band 71 (600 MHz)
  • Our Extended Range LTE signal reaches 2X as far and penetrates walls for 4X better coverage in-buildings than ever before.

4G LTE

• Frequencies that can provide LTE:
    • Band 2 (1900 MHz)
    • Band 5 ;(850 MHz)
    • Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz)
    • Band 66 (Extension of band 4 on 1700/2100 MHz).
  • 4G LTE offers fast download speeds, up to 50% faster speeds than 3G. See Data speeds.
  • Voice and data services only work at the same time when on you have VoLTE enabled on your device. Otherwise, LTE only provides data.
  • VoLTE ("Voice over LTE")

3G (UMTS/HSPA)

• Frequencies that can provide 3G: Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz) and Band 2 (1900 MHz)
  • Voice and data services can work at the same time. You can use data while on a call.

2G (GSM, GPRS, EDGE)

• Frequencies that can provide 2G: Band 2 (1900 MHz)
  • Voice and data services don't work at the same time when on 2G. You cannot use data while on a call.

Sprint Network Info

Spoiler

Frequency Bands

LTE

Name Interface
B25 (1900 +) LTE
B26 (850 +) LTE
B41 (TD 2500) LTE

Supported LTE Protocols

Name Generation
LTE 4G

CDMA

Name Interface
BC1 (1900 PCS) CDMA
BC10 (Secondary 800 MHz) CDMA

Supported CDMA Protocols

Name Generation
cdmaOne 2G
CDMA2000 1xRTT 3G
CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rel. 0 3G
CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev A 3G

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

@Donut417 @huilun02 Thank you all for your responses.

I'm currently on Sprint, and though i've heard it will stay separate-ish for a little while, that it won't last long. I went through eBay and ended up buying the OnePlus 7 Pro 5G, as OnePlus confirms it works on sprint, and that it will work on T-Mobile, which makes me happy that I won't have to buy another phone within a few months. 

Though the current OnePlus Nord wouldn't work well in the US, they do plan on bringing it to the US later with a snapdragon 690 chipset and lower specs overall. 

As far as bands go, heres what i found:
- 5G: Both support 41, all good!

- LTE: All bands on both carriers supported except for band 71 (extended range band)

- 3G/2G: Kind of hard to find details, but since Sprint, TMobile, and OnePlus are saying the phones will work with LTE and below, I believe this applies as well.

i like trains 🙂

On 7/31/2020 at 1:03 AM, huilun02 said:

I see.

How much did you pay for it, and was it brand new?

Got it for around 400USD on eBay. It was used, but not much. not a single scratch or dent in sight. Works great!

i like trains 🙂