Cooling laptop without GPU with CPU/GPU combo heatsink

iicaie

Hi everyone, first time posting here. I have a laptop that doesn't have a GPU and the CPU is currently passively cooled with a single heatpipe going to a heatspreader? kind of thing. It doesn't even have fins on it, not to mention a fan. I've applied fresh thermal paste but the temps still stay in the high 70s under load like they used to. As this same series of laptop (Lenovo G40) has a version with a GPU on it, I found a heatsink/fan combo for that particular model. 

My question is, will it do more harm than good by swapping out the existing cooler for this? I'm unsure what the behavior of the new heatpipe will be, because it runs first from the GPU -> CPU then heatsink/fan. I'm concerned if heat will end up at the GPU cooler side of things and end up sending more heat into the motherboard. The new heatsink only costs about 15USD so I'll go ahead and make this a weekend project if you guys think it will work without any adverse effects. I welcome all constructive opinions thanks! 

cpugpucombo.png

lenovog40.jpg

5 minutes ago, iicaie said:

high 70s under load

Why would you want to do this? This is acceptable temps

Where would you plug in the new fan if your current one doesnt have one?

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

2 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

It looks like the header for the fan is on the board, right where the heatpipe changes colour from copper to black.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

Why would you want to do this? This is acceptable temps

Mostly so the keyboard doesn't get so hot and also for fun. But I wouldn't want to waste time disassembling the whole thing just to find out if the new heatsink starts channeling heat the wrong way or anything like that. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

It looks like the header for the fan is on the board, right where the heatpipe changes colour from copper to black.

That's correct! 

if you somehow manage to isolate the gpu heatplate from the motherboard electrically, I don't see why it won't work. HAving a Die there or not won't change how the heatsink works. Though high 70s isn't to shavy for a laptop, and I doubt your keyboard will be much cooler afterwards.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

6 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

if you somehow manage to isolate the gpu heatplate from the motherboard electrically, I don't see why it won't work. HAving a Die there or not won't change how the heatsink works. Though high 70s isn't to shavy for a laptop, and I doubt your keyboard will be much cooler afterwards.

I have some spare kapton tape for electrical isolation, I guess I'll just go ahead with this then! As for the keyboard getting cooler, I was hoping I can type on it after I perform the heatsink swap, currently it's uncomfortable resting my left hand on it even for 1 minute.