HP Envy x360 or Acer Swift 5

My current notebook is slowly (very slowly, thankfully) dying and I want to replace it with something with a bit more oomph and hopefully longevity but I don't want to spend too much on it.

I've been looking around quite a bit, getting a whole lot of mixed information about everything and have currently narrowed things down to the HP Envy x360 13-ar0053au (Ryzen 7 3700u) and the Acer Swift 5 SF514-54T-77V6 (i7-1065g7).

Does anyone have any longish term experience with these? Do they perform well or poorly?

Do they overheat in your lap, make much noise, have other annoying issues?

Would appreciate any experience with these laptops, or possible better alternatives within the same range.

How about the new HP Envy x360 13 with 4500U

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

I say go for the HP Envy. I've had a lot of experience with Acer Laptops and I can tell you that they are garbage. They barely last me more than a year. Right now I am using my HP Omen that I have had for a year. I've had HP laptops in the past, and they are very durable.

15 minutes ago, Ridguard said:

Does anyone have any longish term experience with these? Do they perform well or poorly?

It will depend on how well you treat your electronics. Do you have a budget? A thinkpad t495 Ryzen is a good contender, if you need durability. 

23 minutes ago, Ridguard said:

My current notebook is slowly (very slowly, thankfully) dying and I want to replace it with something with a bit more oomph and hopefully longevity but I don't want to spend too much on it.

I've been looking around quite a bit, getting a whole lot of mixed information about everything and have currently narrowed things down to the HP Envy x360 13-ar0053au (Ryzen 7 3700u) and the Acer Swift 5 SF514-54T-77V6 (i7-1065g7).

Would appreciate any experience with these laptops, or possible better alternatives within the same range.

Neither. Get the new Envy with a Ryzen 4000 series CPU. They're extremely potent, efficient and just offer a much better experience than any other CPU on the mobile market.

I should state I'm not in the US.

22 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

How about the new HP Envy x360 13 with 4500U

They are quite a bit more expensive and only have 8gb compared to 16gb in the 3700u.

11 minutes ago, The Sloth said:

It will depend on how well you treat your electronics. Do you have a budget? A thinkpad t495 Ryzen is a good contender, if you need durability. 

I have a budget of around $1600 - $1800 NZD and I tend to treat my stuff pretty well, but will be in use daily.

The thinkpad is similar spec'd but quite a bit more expensive.

1 minute ago, Ridguard said:

Yup, look for sales( lenovo has lots of sales and discounts), my X230 is over 8 years old, going strong. Thinkpads are really built to last. 

6 minutes ago, Ridguard said:

I should state I'm not in the US.

They are quite a bit more expensive and only have 8gb compared to 16gb in the 3700u.

I have a budget of around $1600 - $1800 NZD and I tend to treat my stuff pretty well, but will be in use daily.

The 4500U is about twice as fast as the 3700U and much more efficient. That's why we're recommending it. It's easily among the best mobile CPUs on the market.

7 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The 4500U is about twice as fast as the 3700U and much more efficient. That's why we're recommending it. It's easily among the best mobile CPUs on the market.

I understand, unfortunately there aren't many options for a laptop with a 4500u here currently.

The best option appears to be the HP 435 G7 ProBook, which is a bit bigger and heavier, with less ram, but I'll have a look into it. If anyone has any opinions on that?

7 minutes ago, Ridguard said:

I understand, unfortunately there aren't many options for a laptop with a 4500u here currently.

The best option appears to be the HP 435 G7 ProBook, which is a bit bigger and heavier, with less ram, but I'll have a look into it. If anyone has any opinions on that?

That's business class. Its much more durable and reliable than consumer models. Also has better quality components and better firmware support. The downside is it doesn't look like a MacBook

Theres a local sale that just started, I can get a Asus Vivobook Flip 14 TM420IA with a Ryzen 7 4700u for a decent price..

It's a little bit bigger than I wanted, but it seems to have everything.

Can anyone recommend this? Having a little trouble finding reviews for it.

1 hour ago, Ridguard said:

Theres a local sale that just started, I can get a Asus Vivobook Flip 14 TM420IA with a Ryzen 7 4700u for a decent price..

It's a little bit bigger than I wanted, but it seems to have everything.

Can anyone recommend this? Having a little trouble finding reviews for it.

The Vivobooks are lower end and crappier. I would get the Envy 360

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

The Vivobooks are lower end and crappier. I would get the Envy 360

I really want to get an Envy, but every where I look all I hear is that its fans are awful and runs really hot.

General claims of them being loud and running constantly, really made me sheepish about getting one.

1 hour ago, Ridguard said:

I really want to get an Envy, but every where I look all I hear is that its fans are awful and runs really hot.

General claims of them being loud and running constantly, really made me sheepish about getting one.

No idea about the older models but the ones with Ryzen 4000 are not loud nor hot. No idea where you heard that from.

6 hours ago, 5x5 said:

No idea about the older models but the ones with Ryzen 4000 are not loud nor hot. No idea where you heard that from.

Almost every review and firsthand account I've come across complains about the fans. For the current 4000 models and all the previous 3000 and 2000 ones as well.

Is this not the case in your experience?

46 minutes ago, Ridguard said:

Almost every review and firsthand account I've come across complains about the fans. For the current 4000 models and all the previous 3000 and 2000 ones as well.

It's being called one of the best thin and lights on the market right now.

I'm getting the R7 16GB 512GB version that comes with Pro and the Pen. I'm really excited!

6 hours ago, Ridguard said:

Like the post above says, it's one of the best mid range ultrabooks on the market. And no, I've never seen any user complain about the fans or thermals. And I also know the reviews I've watched and read said it runs cool and reasonably quiet.

Well there is another sale going.

I can get the Envy x360 Ryzen 7 3700u 16gb for a pretty decent price.

Also found a place that actually has a few Envy x360 Ryzen 5 4500u 8gb for $140USD more expensive..

Price is a little bit of a concern for me, how much worth it is the 4000 R5 with less ram over the 3000 R7 model for that much extra?

20 hours ago, Ridguard said:

Well there is another sale going.

I can get the Envy x360 Ryzen 7 3700u 16gb for a pretty decent price.

Also found a place that actually has a few Envy x360 Ryzen 5 4500u 8gb for $140USD more expensive..

Price is a little bit of a concern for me, how much worth it is the 4000 R5 with less ram over the 3000 R7 model for that much extra?

The 4500U is MUCH more powerful, more efficient and will result in significantly better battery life, lower thermals, less noise and a big uplift in performance both on the CPU and GPU side.

The 3700U is equivalent to a 4300U, give or take.