High Latency Until Modem Reboot

NikoB_999

My Motorola sbg6580 modem always after a week or 2 gets really slow with high latency (avg ~200ms-800ms). Unplugging and replugging the modem back in makes it return to normal. I use a different router for wifi. The ISP is Comcast. No one else in my neighborhood has the issue or seems to complain about it. They also have different modems. Is there a fix? I cant really find any good modems either.

Useless anecdote about a similar situation

Spoiler

I used to have an issue like that some years ago.  Never found out what caused it.  It almost behaved like a memory leak.  I just had to reboot my modem every couple of days.  Very annoying.  I upgraded my modem and it went away though.  The modem was very old, even then.  

I’m curious to see what answers are available.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

15 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Useless anecdote about a similar situation

Reveal hidden contents

I used to have an issue like that some years ago.  Never found out what caused it.  It almost behaved like a memory leak.  I just had to reboot my modem every couple of days.  Very annoying.  I upgraded my modem and it went away though.  The modem was very old, even then.  

I’m curious to see what answers are available.

I've heard of similar issues with some modems, where essentially some internal buffer overruns and the modem slows down until it is rebooted. Best bet would be a firmware update (if available), followed by buying a different modem or alternatively some "timer socket" or similar that power cycles the modem e.g. once every night.

If your neighbors use different modems and don't have that issue... I'd probably get one of those modems.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

6 hours ago, NikoB_999 said:

cant really find any good modems either.

There are tons of good modems. The SB6183, CM500, CM600 any Docsis 3.1 modem. Tons of modems. 

6 hours ago, NikoB_999 said:

use a different router for wifi.

Im going to guess the Motorola box is in bridge mode then? As the Motorola box is not a modem but a gateway, so it has router capabilities. Id try plugging directly in to that. Take the router out of the equation. If you have the same issues then you need to look at your modems signals. If the signals look good, then it could be a defective modem. 

Would like to add, Im a Comcast subscriber as well. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

15 hours ago, Donut417 said:

There are tons of good modems. The SB6183, CM500, CM600 any Docsis 3.1 modem. Tons of modems. 

Im going to guess the Motorola box is in bridge mode then? As the Motorola box is not a modem but a gateway, so it has router capabilities. Id try plugging directly in to that. Take the router out of the equation. If you have the same issues then you need to look at your modems signals. If the signals look good, then it could be a defective modem. 

Would like to add, Im a Comcast subscriber as well. 

I will try once it gets bad again

21 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

I've heard of similar issues with some modems, where essentially some internal buffer overruns and the modem slows down until it is rebooted. Best bet would be a firmware update (if available), followed by buying a different modem or alternatively some "timer socket" or similar that power cycles the modem e.g. once every night.

If your neighbors use different modems and don't have that issue... I'd probably get one of those modems.

Ok I'll ask when I can get the chance

21 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Best bet would be a firmware update (if available)

Only the ISP can update Firmware on modems. Dont get me wrong, Comcast has excellent retail modem support, but even they can miss things. 

6 minutes ago, NikoB_999 said:

I will try once it gets bad again

Another theory I have. Your modem is an 8x4 modem. Similar spec to mine. You could have issues where some of your downstream/Upstream channels are overloaded. The reason why people around you have no issues, is because they could have 16x4, 24x8 or 32x8 modems. The more channels you have, the less potential for issues with channels being over loaded, especially on lower speed tiers. Comcast no longer issues anything with 8x4, not sure if they purely do only Docsis 3.1 modems as of now, or what. As I haven't rented a modem from them in years. 

Another theory is its overheating. Which can happen, especially with Gateway devices like yours. When it screws up again touch the device. If it feels very warm to the touch, like uncomfortable then it could very well be overheating. I had a router back in the day that used to do this, the router had USB, so one laptop cooler later kept the old guy working. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.