Modding a Radeon VII

I have a Radeon VII that's out of warranty, I use it for animation (where that massive VRAM comes in handy). One of the fans is starting to die. I imagine there's a seized up bearing inside, it's functional, just loud as hell. It's quietest when ramped up to full speed (you can imagine I now have a very sharp fan curve).

I've tried to replace the fan, but that's just not gonna happen. I've disassembled the damn thing far too many times. I've ordered a few fans, all with the proper part number, BUT for whatever reason none of them have the correct pinout. It's a 4 pin connection and so far the closest I've gotten is a 4 pin connector that's too big to fit.

With all that said, how hard would it be to just replace the cooler outright? Ideally with some sort of 3D printed bracket that mounts fans from Noctua or another provider (though I have no clue which fans to use). I'm grappling in the dark here. I do have a 3D printer. I have PLA and PETG.

I've seen CPU coolers used, but I worry about VRM cooling. Water cooling is out for now, this particular case is not water cooling compatible.

Strip the metal covering off, and strap 2 120mm fans to the heat sink direct, should cover the entire PCB (air blowing into the heatsink, into the PCB) - I use zip ties when doing stuff like (plug the fans into a mobo header, or splitter, or to PSU direct).  Anytime I have VRMs (and the voltage controller btw) that need covering, I use double sided adhesive thermal tape to put on (or I buy them with the tape on it already) aluminum heat sinks (8x8mm for example, or smaller) and make sure there is some passive air going over it either via a strapped on fan, or whatever is needed

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

25 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Strip the metal covering off, and strap 2 120mm fans to the heat sink direct, should cover the entire PCB (air blowing into the heatsink, into the PCB) - I use zip ties when doing stuff like (plug the fans into a mobo header, or splitter, or to PSU direct).  Anytime I have VRMs (and the voltage controller btw) that need covering, I use double sided adhesive thermal tape to put on (or I buy them with the tape on it already) aluminum heat sinks (8x8mm for example, or smaller) and make sure there is some passive air going over it either via a strapped on fan, or whatever is needed

I almost always approve of zip ties for computer use.  It will turn it into effectively a 3 slot card, but if there’s room there’s room :)

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Alright, zip ties it is. I may need to get a fan controller, I'll investigate what's available in the system.

Any recommendations on specific fans?

12 minutes ago, Rikere said:

Alright, zip ties it is. I may need to get a fan controller, I'll investigate what's available in the system.

Any recommendations on specific fans?

Fans will be face up blowing down yes?  If so avoid straight sleeve bearing or single ball bearing.  You don’t need much in the way of static pressure I think.  If you want to go cheap arctic cooling sells some not expensive fans with FDB bearings.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.