Laser mouse problems?

tihor29

I am planning to buy a corsair m65 and I saw that it has a laser sensor. What are some of your experiences with laser sensors. If the m65 is bad my other choice is the razer Deathadder. Thanks

I am planning to buy a corsair m65 and I saw that it has a laser sensor. What are some of your experiences with laser sensors. If the m65 is bad my other choice is the razer Deathadder. Thanks

Laser mice have acceleration which can be simplified as a slight adjustment of cursor movement due to the expectation of the software where you'd like to go next. Which makes them less accurate and very frustration in certain situations. [shooters are an example where it can be really annoying]. And you can disable accel in your respective mouse software and in windows but the sensors have build in accel that you won't be able to influence.

I can recommend the G400s. Perfect sensor, ergonomic shape. Awesome mouse altogether and Logitech has the best software by far. Like software that is actually out of alpha compared to razer, corsair, steelseries and so on.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I've been using the M65 for almost 7 months now and I haven't experienced any problem with it. The build quality of the mouse is very outstanding and I'd say go with it rather than the Razer ones. All of my Razer peripherals has died now after only 2 years of normal use..

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

It's not a "problem" per se, it's just an inferiority. Chances are you'll never even "feel" the tracking flaws, it just might make you miss a shot here and there.

Out of curiosity, why is the M40/M45 not under consideration? It's basically an M65 with the flaws removed (but isn't as pretty to look at).

I have the M60 (slightly older laser) and I haven't noticed the acceleration at all. Ever is CS:S it hasn't been an issue. It's a great mouse though, can't go wrong with it.

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

Laser mice have acceleration which can be simplified as a slight adjustment of cursor movement due to the expectation of the software where you'd like to go next. Which makes them less accurate and very frustration in certain situations. [shooters are an example where it can be really annoying]. And you can disable accel in your respective mouse software and in windows but the sensors have build in accel that you won't be able to influence.

I can recommend the G400s. Perfect sensor, ergonomic shape. Awesome mouse altogether and Logitech has the best software by far. Like software that is actually out of alpha compared to razer, corsair, steelseries and so on.

I have tried a logitech and corsair mouse at 5000dpi and I didnt see a difference

I have tried a logitech and corsair mouse at 5000dpi and I didnt see a difference

The G400/G400s doesn't go that high, which is the mouse he was talking about. Any Logitech mouse capable of 5000dpi would have a laser sensor and thus the same acceleration problems (not that you should probably be using 5000dpi in the first place).

It really depends on the sensor that the laser mouse uses. But in no particular order these are the sorts of problems the various mice have, all laser mice have at least one of these flaws, most have many:

- Z axis issue - When the mouse is picked up and replaced on the mouse mat the pointer will jump, normally down and to the right.

- Acceleration - The sensor will have some amount of inbuilt acceleration or de-acceleration that will cause the pointer to move faster and slower depending on how quickly you are moving the mouse. This stops a player being able to build accurate muscle memory for positioning their mouse and severely hampers their ability in an FPS, although it can be beneficial in an RTS. The main problem is that different mice have different amounts meaning its hard to learn how to use it as mice are deprecated.

- Failure speed - The failure speed when the mouse is moved very quickly is normally too low. This is a problem for low sensitivity gamers (most pro FPS players) as the mouse will then accelerate/de-accelerate or just fail to take input when they try to spin rapidly or respond to a threat. Its not just the failure speed itself but how does the mouse deal with exceeding it.

- Jitter - The mouse will have an inherent amount of 1-2 pixel noise in the movement that will mean you can't draw a nice diagonal line but rather a randomised mess. This can be a minimal effect or it can be pretty significant in its impact on the movement.

- Lift off distance - A high lift off distance, which means as the mouse is picked up and moved that some amount of the movement will be detected as the mouse being on the surface.

- Cloth mats - A laser specific problem where the laser struggles to resolve the fibres of the cloth mat and the end result is usually jitter or bad tracking problems in general.

- Angle snapping - The sensor will be designed to detect a straight line, either horizontally or vertically and artificially straighten it for you. The end result is a mouse that with mostly vertical or horizontal movements will go very straight instead of doing what you asked it too.

Probably some other types of problems that slip my mind but that is about the jist of the issues you are facing with mice, not just laser mice. Its not like all optical mice are perfect either, its just there are no laser mice that have ever passed all these tests, they are literally all flawed in some way. However there are a few optical mice that do track properly your movements (no jitter, angle snapping, good failure speed, no z axis issue and no acceleration) but its a short list.

It really depends on the sensor that the laser mouse uses. But in no particular order these are the sorts of problems the various mice have, all laser mice have at least one of these flaws, most have many:

- Z axis issue - When the mouse is picked up and replaced on the mouse mat the pointer will jump, normally down and to the right.

- Acceleration - The sensor will have some amount of inbuilt acceleration or de-acceleration that will cause the pointer to move faster and slower depending on how quickly you are moving the mouse. This stops a player being able to build accurate muscle memory for positioning their mouse and severely hampers their ability in an FPS, although it can be beneficial in an RTS. The main problem is that different mice have different amounts meaning its hard to learn how to use it as mice are deprecated.

- Failure speed - The failure speed when the mouse is moved very quickly is normally too low. This is a problem for low sensitivity gamers (most pro FPS players) as the mouse will then accelerate/de-accelerate or just fail to take input when they try to spin rapidly or respond to a threat. Its not just the failure speed itself but how does the mouse deal with exceeding it.

- Jitter - The mouse will have an inherent amount of 1-2 pixel noise in the movement that will mean you can't draw a nice diagonal line but rather a randomised mess. This can be a minimal effect or it can be pretty significant in its impact on the movement.

- Lift off distance - A high lift off distance, which means as the mouse is picked up and moved that some amount of the movement will be detected as the mouse being on the surface.

- Cloth mats - A laser specific problem where the laser struggles to resolve the fibres of the cloth mat and the end result is usually jitter or bad tracking problems in general.

- Angle snapping - The sensor will be designed to detect a straight line, either horizontally or vertically and artificially straighten it for you. The end result is a mouse that with mostly vertical or horizontal movements will go very straight instead of doing what you asked it too.

Probably some other types of problems that slip my mind but that is about the jist of the issues you are facing with mice, not just laser mice. Its not like all optical mice are perfect either, its just there are no laser mice that have ever passed all these tests, they are literally all flawed in some way. However there are a few optical mice that do track properly your movements (no jitter, angle snapping, good failure speed, no z axis issue and no acceleration) but its a short list.

Do you feel that the g5000 is good or is the m65 or Deathadder good I need good fps performance.

Neither is good based on those criteria. My list of good mice is very short,

Anything by Zowie

Logitech G400s,

Deathadder 2013

Possibly the following are flawless as well, either too few reports or mixed reports (likely problems on varied mouse mats);

Sensei rival

Puretrak valor

Steelseries Kana V2

probably the Roccat Kone Pure Optical

Other than that list its known to have one of the flaws above or it has not been properly tested to see if it passes all these tests.