Unable to undervolt in MSI Afterburner

I own a ROG Zephyrus S GX701 with an RTX 2070

I'm unable to undervolt my GPU. I can see my GPU voltage is between 600mV - 700mV most of the time. In MSI afterburner (mV graph starts from 700mv). I've also tried ASUS GPU Tweak II but I can't find any solution. 

Also in MSI afterburner the Core voltage,Power Limit, Temperature Limit are greyed out. I can't change any of these.

image.png.a1ed832e0fcea62b1a1a896ad83d19fe.png

It would be very helpful if anyone gives some advice on how to undervolt my GPU, because it is currently running at 90+*c with few mins in-game.

You'll have to enable voltage control by editing some files in MSI Afterburner.

Step 1: Go to your MSI Afterburner Profiles folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles)
Step 2: Right-click the file named "VEN_10DE&DEV..." and go > Properties > Security
Step 3: Select "Edit" and then click on "Users (username\Users)" and with the permission boxes below, check "Allow" for the first box - Full control. Click OK and OK again (this allows the file to be saved after editing it).
Step 4: Now you can open the file named "VEN_10DE&DEV..." in WordPad and replace everything you see with this:

[Startup]
Format=2
CoreVoltageBoost=
PowerLimit=
ThermalLimit=
ThermalPrioritize=
CoreClkBoost=
MemClkBoost=
[Settings]
VDDC_Generic_Detection=1

Step 5: Save the file and restart MSI Afterburner
Step 6: Go into MSI Afterburner settings and check the boxes under General > "Unlock voltage control" and "Unlock voltage monitoring" then click OK and restart Afterburner.
Final: GPU voltage control is unlocked and can be used now up to +100mV as well as monitoring GPU voltage in the OSD.

Source: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81916-GUIDE-to-enable-quot-voltage-control-quot-in-MSI-Afterburner

1 hour ago, Man said:

You'll have to enable voltage control by editing some files in MSI Afterburner.

Source: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81916-GUIDE-to-enable-quot-voltage-control-quot-in-MSI-Afterburner

Thanks for the info, I've unlocked the core voltage%, but the problem I'm facing now is my GPU voltage is between 600mV - 700mV most of the time. In MSI afterburner (mV graph starts from 700mv). My GPU rarely hit the the 700mV mark.

Can you please help me here

14 hours ago, CROZ7 said:

Thanks for the info, I've unlocked the core voltage%, but the problem I'm facing now is my GPU voltage is between 600mV - 700mV most of the time. In MSI afterburner (mV graph starts from 700mv). My GPU rarely hit the the 700mV mark.

Can you please help me here

It's perfectly normal as the 2070 idles at around 700mV and boosts up to about 1,100mV; as long as there's enough thermal and power headroom. The GPU will automatically ramp up the clock speed and voltage as the load increases. 

If you want your GPU to run at constant max voltage (for some odd reason) then you're out of luck, as far as my knowledge goes. You'll have to switch to AMD.

You can make an AMD card idle at 1,300mV, if you want to!

• 1 year later...
On 7/28/2020 at 1:48 AM, Man said:

It's perfectly normal as the 2070 idles at around 700mV and boosts up to about 1,100mV; as long as there's enough thermal and power headroom. The GPU will automatically ramp up the clock speed and voltage as the load increases. 

If you want your GPU to run at constant max voltage (for some odd reason) then you're out of luck, as far as my knowledge goes. You'll have to switch to AMD.

You can make an AMD card idle at 1,300mV, if you want to!

You can "lock" the voltage on nVidia's too... just hit the L key (lock key) in the curve with the voltage selected, then a yellow dotted line will appear... hit, apply and there you go 🙂

DESKTOP PCCPU: R7 3700x | MOBO: Gigabyte GA-M320-S2H | RAM: Corsair Venegance 32GB (2x16) 3200Mhz  | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 SUPER OC 8GB | CASE: Thermaltake V21 | OS: Win 10 | STORAGE: Sabrent 1TB m.2. & 1TB WD HDD | PSU: Corsair CX Series 550 W 80 Plus (Spare PSU in the box (new) BeQuiet! 650w 80+Platinum) | DISPLAY: ASUS TUF 27" Gaming Monitor 1440p@165Hz (VG27A), HUION 16" 1080@60fps | COOLING: Wraith Prism RGB Led | KEYBOARD: HyperX Alloy Origins 60 | MOUSE: Logitech PRO X Superlight | AUDIO: Amazon Echo (speaker) & Logitech PRO-X (cord version)

• 10 months later...

As far as I can see, non of the advice is directed toward undervolting. All ist does is enable voltage control and monitoring. What the OP and other (like me) want to see if its possible is to undervolt using afterburner.

Which seems to be using the voltage curve window -

-

Ryzen 9 5900X | ALFII 280 | X570 MEG ACE | 32GB Patriot 3733-CL16-20-20-38 | Msi Tri-X 4080 | S-Blaster Z | Sabrent Rocket4 plus-g, Crucial P1, WD Green | Fractal ION 850W 80+ Gold | Define R6 | LG 34GN850 | L-tech K120 & Razer D-adder Mini |