do i need an ethernet switch if my router has LAN ports?

Go to solution Solved by Dutch_Master,

No, not if you only have max 4 wired devices. If your network has more then 4 wired devices, you'll need an additional switch.

i am interested in buying an ethernet switch to connect my consoles and my router at the same time.

do i need a switch if my router has LAN ports?

LAN.jpg

2 minutes ago, NAMAJAFF said:

i am interested in buying an ethernet switch to connect my consoles and my router at the same time.

do i need a switch if my router has LAN ports?

A switch is basically a splitter for ethernet ports. If you lack wired ports on your router/modem, you should get a switch.

Are you going to run this router in your room as a router or simply as an access point?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Only if you don't have enough ethernet ports.

No, not if you only have max 4 wired devices. If your network has more then 4 wired devices, you'll need an additional switch.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Depends how many devices you want connected by ethernet cable? If it's more than the ports you have then you will need a switch.

27 minutes ago, minibois said:

A switch is basically a splitter for ethernet ports. If you lack wired ports on your router/modem, you should get a switch.

Are you going to run this router in your room as a router or simply as an access point?

so if i have lan ports then i don't need the ethernet switch?

2 minutes ago, NAMAJAFF said:

so if i have lan ports then i don't need the ethernet switch?

29 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Did you read the answers provided and more importantly, did you understand what was said? I have the impression the answer to at least one of those questions was no 🙄

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

2 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Did you read the answers provided and more importantly, did you understand what was said? I have the impression the answer to at least one of those questions was no 🙄

you don't have to be a jerk about it.

Just now, NAMAJAFF said:

you don't have to be a jerk about it.

If you have 4 lan ports and you have 4 devices you want to connect by cable then you don't need a switch, if you have more than 4 devices you want to connect by cable then you will need a switch.

All a switch does is turn one of your ports into multiple ports.

1 hour ago, Dutch_Master said:

my router is really old and it doesn't have LAN ports, is there a way to connect it to the switch? since buying a switch is much cheaper than buying a new router.

15 minutes ago, NAMAJAFF said:

my router is really old and it doesn't have LAN ports, is there a way to connect it to the switch? since buying a switch is much cheaper than buying a new router.

What router do you have? You need at least one port to be able to connect the switch to.