Hi there,

I'm currently using Legion Y720, the config is Intel i7 7700HQ, Nvidia Gtx 1060 6GB, 16GB ddr4 ram at 2400Hz.

yeah i know it's not top of the line stuff, but it's ok for what is do. i was thinking of upgrading the display to a higher refresh rate like a 90Hz or 120Hz. i don't really want a external display because i'm mostly on the move so i wonder i anyone knows a monitor that i can replace with the existing one! i would really appreciate any kind of help.

Danny.

47 minutes ago, Danny98boy said:

Hi there,

I'm currently using Legion Y720, the config is Intel i7 7700HQ, Nvidia Gtx 1060 6GB, 16GB ddr4 ram at 2400Hz.

yeah i know it's not top of the line stuff, but it's ok for what is do. i was thinking of upgrading the display to a higher refresh rate like a 90Hz or 120Hz. i don't really want a external display because i'm mostly on the move so i wonder i anyone knows a monitor that i can replace with the existing one! i would really appreciate any kind of help.

Danny.

Most of the time, you can't upgrade. I know with my old Toshiba it was impossible unless I bought a new motherboard with the correct ribbon cable attachments, and by then it was more wise just to upgrade due to cost. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

General stuff: 

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-legion-y720

reading the review it doesn’t sound like the machine has the power to drive higher refresh rates anyway. It sounded like it had enough trouble just getting to 60fps at 1080p/60hz and couldn’t even always get there.  Remember your 1060 does not have the power of a desktop 1060. Probably less than a desktop 1050

you want to replace the panel in the laptop?  The problem is to change available refresh you may have to replace more than just the panel, and that can be difficult or impossible.  Replacing laptop panels can often but not always be done.  It depends on how that particular laptop was designed and what other panels were made that fit the case.  Sometimes the laptop just has an internal hdmi or other type of connection to the panel with the monitor hardware downstream.  Sometimes they don’t. You’ve also got to have something that will fit all the acre holes and have a similar thickness etc..    It’s not just having a panel with available refresh rate.  You also have to be able to use that higher refresh rate.  If a version of that laptop was available with higher refresh rate your chances of success go way up.  Other Lenovo legion “y” laptops released the same year May use the same internal components.  If this is the case and one of them had a higher refresh display there might be hardware/software in the machine capable of driving the faster panel and a panel with cables capable of connecting to that hardware.  Would require in depth research into what components are in the machine, and what components were available for similar machines.

One thought might be a portable external monitor.  They exist and would be a lot easier to connect to.  They will have the full hardware set in them. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

General stuff: 

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-legion-y720

reading the review it doesn’t sound like the machine has the power to drive higher refresh rates anyway. It sounded like it had enough trouble just getting to 60fps at 1080p/60hz and couldn’t even always get there.  Remember your 1060 does not have the power of a desktop 1060. Probably less than a desktop 1050

you want to replace the panel in the laptop?  The problem is to change available refresh you may have to replace more than just the panel, and that can be difficult or impossible.  Replacing laptop panels can often but not always be done.  It depends on how that particular laptop was designed and what other panels were made that fit the case.  Sometimes the laptop just has an internal hdmi or other type of connection to the panel with the monitor hardware downstream.  Sometimes they don’t. You’ve also got to have something that will fit all the acre holes and have a similar thickness etc..    It’s not just having a panel with available refresh rate.  You also have to be able to use that higher refresh rate.  If a version of that laptop was available with higher refresh rate your chances of success go way up.  Other Lenovo legion “y” laptops released the same year May use the same internal components.  If this is the case and one of them had a higher refresh display there might be hardware/software in the machine capable of driving the faster panel and a panel with cables capable of connecting to that hardware.  Would require in depth research into what components are in the machine, and what components were available for similar machines.

One thought might be a portable external monitor.  They exist and would be a lot easier to connect to.  They will have the full hardware set in them. 

Thanks for putting the time and reading this. I know it doesn't perform that well in AAA games but i mostly play csgo and rainbow six siege in which i get above 100 fps it's a shame this model doesn't have higher refresh rate display.

I'll be sure to check the port and size on displays i encounter.

9 hours ago, Zusafek said:

Most of the time, you can't upgrade. I know with my old Toshiba it was impossible unless I bought a new motherboard with the correct ribbon cable attachments, and by then it was more wise just to upgrade due to cost. 

It's a shame there is not much room to upgrade in laptops