Any one use Client Mode on Synology RT1900ac?

Ev The Nerd

Hi there, I have a sinology RT2600ac and a RT1900ac. I recently moved to a new house that does not have Coax or Ethernet up stairs. I have the RT2600 with the modem on the 1st floor and want to set up my RT1900ac on the 2nd floor in "client Mode" Synology says it will set up the router to be a Client on your wifi network and convert it to ethernet for wired devices. it does not seem to work for me even when I set it up in the same sub net. NAT is disabled (but it think it may be stuck on since I cant ping other devices), and so is DHCP. I have also tried using DHCP in with a different pool of IP addresses with no luck. the RT1900ac will connect to the WiFi network and will download Packages from the Package manager store. but mu devices are still off line. unfortunately this is a rental. otherwise I would just run Cat 6 or Coax in the Wall and be done with it. have a great evening. any thoughts are welcome!

On 7/26/2020 at 2:36 AM, Ev The Nerd said:

Hi there, I have a sinology RT2600ac and a RT1900ac. I recently moved to a new house that does not have Coax or Ethernet up stairs. I have the RT2600 with the modem on the 1st floor and want to set up my RT1900ac on the 2nd floor in "client Mode" Synology says it will set up the router to be a Client on your wifi network and convert it to ethernet for wired devices. it does not seem to work for me even when I set it up in the same sub net. NAT is disabled (but it think it may be stuck on since I cant ping other devices), and so is DHCP. I have also tried using DHCP in with a different pool of IP addresses with no luck. the RT1900ac will connect to the WiFi network and will download Packages from the Package manager store. but mu devices are still off line. unfortunately this is a rental. otherwise I would just run Cat 6 or Coax in the Wall and be done with it. have a great evening. any thoughts are welcome!

So what you want to create is a wireless bridge for your wired devices.

From Google searches, I've seen that this feature isn't implemented well on the Synology wireless routers, unfortunately. People have tried workarounds but the network still ends up crippled in some way. Personally, I don't think it's worth pursuing if Synology isn't interested in fixing it.

Have you given any thought to getting the mesh point accessory to the RT2600ac? I'm not sure how well this would work on a multi-level setup since WiFi doesn't perform as well in a vertical direction as it does on the horizontal.