Android Phone Recommendations

Kysif

I'm looking to upgrade from a Galaxy S7 and unsure of my options

US

Trying to stay below $900 USD although wouldn't mind spending less

Willing to wait till the end of the year
Probably won't be able to upgrade for a number of years

Priorities are really just 3.5mm jack and speed

I'd prefer a glass or metal body rather than plastic and able to receive latest updates

A decent camera and expandable storage via microSD would be nice

Is the difference between snapdragon 855(+) LPDDR4(x) and 865 LPDDR5 significant?

To be perfectly honest, most phones above 250-300 dollars are a massive waste of money.

If you need performance, get a tablet or laptop.

If you need a good camera, buy a camera

If you need a good microphone, get an external and clip it to your shirt.

8 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

To be perfectly honest, most phones above 250-300 dollars are a massive waste of money.

If you need performance, get a tablet or laptop.

If you need a good camera, buy a camera

If you need a good microphone, get an external and clip it to your shirt.

Personally, I value having one do it all device. I use my phone constantly, and I can get light work done on it while out and about without having to drag my laptop around with me. Then there's the old adage of the best camera is the one you have with you. Sure, if I'm traveling and specifically out sight seeing, then I'll drag my micro 4/3 with all my lenses around, but being able to whip my phone out for random photos with still decent quality is priceless.

This type of recommendation is just extremely short-sighted. Maybe a cheap budget phone is good enough for you, but not everyone is you.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

18 minutes ago, Kysif said:

I'm looking to upgrade from a Galaxy S7 and unsure of my options

US

Trying to stay below $900 USD although wouldn't mind spending less

Willing to wait till the end of the year
Probably won't be able to upgrade for a number of years

Priorities are really just 3.5mm jack and speed

I'd prefer a glass or metal body rather than plastic and able to receive latest updates

A decent camera and expandable storage via microSD would be nice

Is the difference between snapdragon 855(+) LPDDR4(x) and 865 LPDDR5 significant?

I can't speak for every phone, obviously, but I've been extremely happy with my Google Pixel 4 XL. I get 1.5-2 days off a charge, and the camera is fantastic. No performance issues at all. Everything runs smooth and buttery. No headphone jack, but honestly, you're probably just going to have to let that one go. Virtually no modern phones have that any more.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

3 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Personally, I value having one do it all device. I use my phone constantly, and I can get light work done on it while out and about without having to drag my laptop around with me. Then there's the old adage of the best camera is the one you have with you. Sure, if I'm traveling and specifically out sight seeing, then I'll drag my micro 4/3 with all my lenses around, but being able to whip my phone out for random photos with still decent quality is priceless.

This type of recommendation is just extremely short-sighted. Maybe a cheap budget phone is good enough for you, but not everyone is you.

Your logic implies budget phones are unusable.

That is not the case.

A 300$ phone can EASILY take photos, record audio and perform decently enough for short low-priority tasks. You don't need the overpriced 865+ or a 7-lens camera on your phone for it to take a quick photo of a local sight or your cat.

The only world in which your logic holds true is one in which we still use Nokia 3310s.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Your logic implies budget phones are unusable.

That is not the case.

A 300$ phone can EASILY take photos, record audio and perform decently enough for short low-priority tasks. You don't need the overpriced 865+ or a 7-lens camera on your phone for it to take a quick photo of a local sight or your cat.

The only world in which your logic holds true is one in which we still use Nokia 3310s.

I work in IT, so no not any old device can handle my work tasks. And I said decent quality photos. Some blurry, 8MP,  lossy jpeg, filtered crap is not that. Again, that's great if it works for you, but not everyone is you. A blanket statement like no one needs more than a $300 phone is just ignorant.

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

I work in IT, so no not any old device can handle my work tasks. And I said decent quality photos. Some blurry, 8MP,  lossy jpeg, filtered crap is not that. Again, that's great if it works for you, but not everyone is you. A blanket statement like no one needs more than a $300 phone is just ignorant.

I said they offer little value and are waste of money for most people.

And yes, I work in digital art. Guess what - even the iPhone 12 is useless to me.