rx5700xt microstuttering and artifacting in cod mw

gilad123gamer

so as you can tell by the pictures of the gameplay the card causing artifact at captain price face. somehow its only at his face and its happened every time hes in a scene. btw i notice my rx5700xt running damn hot 86c without oc at games, not even stress test! and the hotspot(junction) sensor showing  108-113c!!! i dont know if its normal for 3 fan card from gigabyte windforce at 50% fan speed 

and without any tweaking exept once, i tried lower the core valtage from 1197 to 1000-1100 and it dosent help at all.

my pc specs(i took it from my steam profile):

meet my beast "alpha centauri"

cpu: ryzen 7 3700x 4.2ghz (one core because for gaming its not matter)

cooler: stock amd prism rgb( logo,ring and fan are red color)

gpu: amd radeon rx5700xt gigabyte gaming oc 

motherboard: b450 gigabyte aorus elite

ram: corsair vengeance lpx 3200mhz 2x8 (black)

psu: 650w antec high current gamers gold 80+ fully modular)

case: ippon thor 2x (black)

btw i  the game running at 50-60 fps 4k highest settings but sometime at msi afterburner at the timing fps graph hes a bit spiky and a lot of sharp raising at the ms frame time.

problem_number_1005.PNG

problem 1006.PNG

artifact 2.PNG

@gilad123gamer

GPU drivers updated? Is the Bios current? O.S current? When is the last time you cleaned the GPU for dust and replaced the thermal paste? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

That does seem very hot for a three fan card. Does your case have good air flow? Have you looked to make sure the fans are spinning?

What driver version are you using?

2 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

@gilad123gamer

GPU drivers updated? Is the Bios current? O.S current? When is the last time you cleaned the GPU for dust and replaced the thermal paste? 

if you meant motherboard bios so i have gigabyte aorus elite at f51 bios and drivers for the gpu is amd adrenalin 20.7.2 and i cleaned it in the last few days his like new 

1 hour ago, Tomthehitman said:

That does seem very hot for a three fan card. Does your case have good air flow? Have you looked to make sure the fans are spinning?

Just now, gilad123gamer said:

if you meant motherboard bios so i have gigabyte aorus elite at f51 bios and drivers for the gpu is amd adrenalin 20.7.2 and i cleaned it in the last few days his like new 

1 hour ago, Tomthehitman said:

the fans are spinning at 1750-2100 rpm and my pc have 4 fans with balanced air pressure and i tried to remove the glass panel and there was zero difference.

6 hours ago, gilad123gamer said:

the fans are spinning at 1750-2100 rpm and my pc have 4 fans with balanced air pressure and i tried to remove the glass panel and there was zero difference.

How long have you had the card? Does it get this hot in other games or just MW?

From what i have seen from google images, your case is restricting airflow. Can you post a picture of your case where we can see your fans too? These temps are not normal for a 3 fan GPU.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X - GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 ULTRA - Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S - PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink - Case: FormD T1

Laptop: 2020 M1 Macbook Air 8/256

5 hours ago, Fuzzyy said:

From what i have seen from google images, your case is restricting airflow. Can you post a picture of your case where we can see your fans too? These temps are not normal for a 3 fan GPU.

That is a distinct possibility. One reviewer says its built like an aircraft carrier, and that might actually be the problem. I don't consider a computer case that needs to support a healthy flow of air being compared to a claustrophobic war machine that much of a compliment. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

9 hours ago, Tomthehitman said:

How long have you had the card? Does it get this hot in other games or just MW?

he getting hot at every intensive gpu software/game and i had it from january 17

what did you saw at google images is 100% the same as my case without any changes.

31 minutes ago, gilad123gamer said:

he getting hot at every intensive gpu software/game and i had it from january 17

Has it just started doing it or since you had it? I think it's an issue with the airflow from the case. Your card shouldn't be running that hot.

One temporary solution could be to set the fans to higher RPM with the fan tuning, it will be louder but will keep your GPU cooler.

2 hours ago, Tomthehitman said:

Has it just started doing it or since you had it? I think it's an issue with the airflow from the case. Your card shouldn't be running that hot.

One temporary solution could be to set the fans to higher RPM with the fan tuning, it will be louder but will keep your GPU cooler.

😒 And seeing that the case has been well received critically at first glance, it really makes me wonder you know. I don't think they mention how well it handles air flow. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

4 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

😒 And seeing that the case has been well received critically at first glance, it really makes me wonder you know. I don't think they mention how well it handles air flow. 

i just chose him because he was damn cheap and 4 fans that are good and slient (actually i chose im also because the case i wanted wasnt available and the rest was expensive) but he sealed like a bunker.  and because of this my gpu running hot like a nuclear powerhouse. 

11 minutes ago, gilad123gamer said:

i just chose him because he was damn cheap and 4 fans that are good and slient (actually i chose im also because the case i wanted wasnt available and the rest was expensive) but he sealed like a bunker.  and because of this my gpu running hot like a nuclear powerhouse. 

Well, assuming the case is the culprit, I can only recommend what I have below, because I know it does a damn good job managing air flow. 

Link: Corsair 570x case

45563d1332434505.jpg

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 minute ago, BlackManINC said:

Well, assuming the case is the culprit, I can only recommend what I have below, because I know it does a damn good job managing air flow. 

Link: Corsair 570x case

45563d1332434505.jpg

its a good a case, but i thought to upgrade to the fractal design meshy c something, hes cheaper and seems to have better airflow. because he not have a glass front panel.

Have you tried setting more agressive fan curve for the GPU? 2000rpm seems rather low when the card is thermal throttling itself and hitting max temps.

I have a 5700xt Red Devil myself in a Fractal Design Define R6, so not the best airflow either, but it's only hitting 90-95c on junktion under 100% usage.

Just now, Gaires said:

Have you tried setting more agressive fan curve for the GPU? 2000rpm seems rather low when the card is thermal throttling itself and hitting max temps.

I have a 5700xt Red Devil myself in a Fractal Design Define R6, so not the best airflow either, but it's only hitting 90-95c on junktion under 100% usage.

yes, up to 4000 rpm. the same results, but its just giving me more time before all of this start to happened.

5 minutes ago, gilad123gamer said:

its a good a case, but i thought to upgrade to the fractal design meshy c something, hes cheaper and seems to have better airflow. because he not have a glass front panel.

That looks like a good choice. 👍👍

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Just now, BlackManINC said:

That looks like a good choice. 👍👍

yes, ill probably take it, but i thought to use my pc as openbench at first, to see if there is any noticeable difference.

Your junction temps are getting over 110°, and that's what's causing your problems. That means the VRAM is getting poorly cooled. Putting some fresh good thermal paste on there would be my recommendation.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Test if temperatures drop without the side panel, the case you are using is "sealed like a bunker" as you said.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X - GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 ULTRA - Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S - PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink - Case: FormD T1

Laptop: 2020 M1 Macbook Air 8/256

Going off the screenshot, the Junction Temp is high, also the voltage looks low, 1.2v is stock, could it just lowered it slightly as the JT is high?

Try these wattman settings, works ok for me.

image.thumb.png.0bf6db987d0930c38caa22910e9c6f6b.png

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

7 hours ago, grayperview said:

Going off the screenshot, the Junction Temp is high, also the voltage looks low, 1.2v is stock, could it just lowered it slightly as the JT is high?

Try these wattman settings, works ok for me.

image.thumb.png.0bf6db987d0930c38caa22910e9c6f6b.png

You can't adjust the VRAM voltage, and the VRAM is what the junction temp is referring to. Voltage changes only affect the core. Turning down the power limit to -15% would affect the VRAM temps, but it shouldn't be needed, as my reference cooler doesn't get 110° junction temps anymore (tops out around 95°) after repasting it, even if I max out the power limits, and overclock the VRAM to boot.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

9 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

You can't adjust the VRAM voltage, and the VRAM is what the junction temp is referring to. Voltage changes only affect the core. Turning down the power limit to -15% would affect the VRAM temps, but it shouldn't be needed, as my reference cooler doesn't get 110° junction temps anymore (tops out around 95°) after repasting it, even if I max out the power limits, and overclock the VRAM to boot.

🤔 Hmm, it looks like you can actually tweak the voltage for vram, unless I'm looking at this wrong. It certainly let me change it. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

2 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔 Hmm, it looks like you can actually tweak the voltage for vram, unless I'm looking at this wrong. It certainly let me change it. 

Not on my reference 5700 XT...

NoVRAMvoltage.thumb.png.54cbe5eae5c08f01e61d23c6192f8573.png