Switching from iPhone to Android. Anything I should prepare for?

ChrisRK

Hey guys.

So I'm doing the "big" leap and I'm gonna switch my iPhone 5 with a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact.

The reason you ask? For over a year now I've had issues with syncing my phone. Both my old iPhone 4 and now 5. Random crashes  during sync, iPhone disconnects during sync, checked items won't sync but claims to be etc.

I know Android mostly in and out so navigating and using it won't be a problem. But I have never owned or used a Android device as my everyday device before.

What should I prepare for? Any good tips? Should I root it? Any "must have" apps or widgets? (Does smaller phones support widgets?)

I'd especially love to hear from anyone else who has done the switch and what your experience is.

Hey guys.

So I'm doing the "big" leap and I'm gonna switch my iPhone 5 with a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact.

The reason you ask? For over a year now I've had issues with syncing my phone. Both my old iPhone 4 and now 5. Random crashes  during sync, iPhone disconnects during sync, checked items won't sync but claims to be etc.

I know Android mostly in and out so navigating and using it won't be a problem. But I have never owned or used a Android device as my everyday device before.

What should I prepare for? Any good tips? Should I root it? Any "must have" apps or widgets? (Does smaller phones support widgets?)

I'd especially love to hear from anyone else who has done the switch and what your experience is.

I would personally say get a micro OTG cable as it opens the phone up to so much more, i would also say get a micro sd card if that phone supports it

Prepare for awesome.

For music get PowerAMP, and maybe Power Toggles.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

I would personally say get a micro OTG cable as it opens the phone up to so much more, i would also say get a micro sd card if that phone supports it

Oh yeah! That's a great idea! I'll order one right away!

Prepare for awesome.

For music get PowerAMP, and maybe Power Toggles.

Noted! I'll look them up once I get the phone!

I recommend the Nexus 5. As for advice, you will never go back to ios... lol

I don't want a 5" phone as I think it is too large. The Z1 Compact is the perfect size for me :)

freedom

FREEDOM!

customization!!! to the max 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

customization!!! to the max 

Can I get any custom lockscreens or home screens? If so, got any sources or repos to recommend? I used to have both on my iPhone 4 when it was jailbreaked.

I have one and it means I can use my xbox controller with it for games or plug a HDD into it for school or something its great

Prepare wise, I'd just start to look into the apps you use a lot on iOS, and find the android version of it.

Some apps will be the same, some won't exist from the same developer on both sides, so its good to find those main apps early.

As for my most used apps,

AirDroid is pretty awesome (wireless access to all files on the device, move to and from the device, browse folders and such), 

I personally use RedditSync, but there are tonnes of reddit clients if you browse reddit,

Swiftkey is my keyboard of choice, though the stock android one is now good, not sure which the Sony comes with.

My homescreen I use is Action Launcher Pro, gets me a very clean homescreen. I've got essentially the same style homescreen as MKBHD if you've seen his videos.

Honestly, the best part of android is its ability to customise stuff. Don't like the stock keyboard? music player? browser? You can change it.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Can I get any custom lockscreens or home screens? If so, got any sources or repos to recommend? I used to have both on my iPhone 4 when it was jailbreaked.

yep but i am aware of it but not using it so i don't know much as other members 

ps : i use a nokia E63

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

prepare to have choice xD
and also if there something yopu dont like  change it! android can be whatever you want as long as you are willing to do it

I have one and it means I can use my xbox controller with it for games or plug a HDD into it for school or something its great

How does it do input mapping for regular games?

Prepare wise, I'd just start to look into the apps you use a lot on iOS, and find the android version of it.

Some apps will be the same, some won't exist from the same developer on both sides, so its good to find those main apps early.

As for my most used apps,

AirDroid is pretty awesome (wireless access to all files on the device, move to and from the device, browse folders and such), 

I personally use RedditSync, but there are tonnes of reddit clients if you browse reddit,

Swiftkey is my keyboard of choice, though the stock android one is now good, not sure which the Sony comes with.

My homescreen I use is Action Launcher Pro, gets me a very clean homescreen. I've got essentially the same style homescreen as MKBHD if you've seen his videos.

Honestly, the best part of android is its ability to customise stuff. Don't like the stock keyboard? music player? browser? You can change it.

AirDroid sounds amazing! That's a must get now!

I'll take a look at the other apps and customizations as well once I get the phone! I'm already blown away from how much Android can do out of the box compared to Apple devices.

yep but i am aware of it but not using it so i don't know much as other members 

ps : i use a nokia E63

Ah, I see. I used to have a E90 before I got an iPhone. Most epic phone ever! :D

prepare to have choice xD

and also if there something yopu dont like  change it! android can be whatever you want as long as you are willing to do it

Do I have to root it to remove stock apps or customize themes and such? Or does it work out of the box now?

All of my games automatically recognize it, you can also plug in mice or keyboards

AirDroid sounds amazing! That's a must get now!

I'll take a look at the other apps and customizations as well once I get the phone! I'm already blown away from how much Android can do out of the box compared to Apple devices.

Ah, I see. I used to have a E90 before I got an iPhone. Most epic phone ever! :D

Do I have to root it to remove stock apps or customize themes and such? Or does it work out of the box now?

you will have to root and put custom roms to do that kind of stuff USSUALLY

if you try themer (i think thats what its called) it might fit your needs in which u wont need to root or anything like that

All of my games automatically recognize it, you can also plug in mice or keyboards

Really? That's amazing!

Prepare your wallet, any apps that you bought on iOS will have to be bought again on Android. If you have any music, Google Music can import it for you.

Other than that, good luck, and it's awesome that you're making the switch!

Wallet is prepared! There's not many paid apps that I need luckily. Most of the paid apps where games that I bought for my phone (Barely played them though lol).

And thank you! I hope I'll be happy with it!

you will have to root and put custom roms to do that kind of stuff USSUALLY

if you try themer (i think thats what its called) it might fit your needs in which u wont need to root or anything like that

Themer looks pretty neat! I'll give it a try when I get my phone! Thanks!

Really? That's amazing!

Wallet is prepared! There's not many paid apps that I need luckily. Most of the paid apps where games that I bought for my phone (Barely played them though lol).

And thank you! I hope I'll be happy with it!

Themer looks pretty neat! I'll give it a try when I get my phone! Thanks!

Oh and there are basically free apps for everything. i think ive bought 3 apps in the last 5 years of my android experience. so dont think you have to

Noted! I'll look them up once I get the phone!

I don't want a 5" phone as I think it is too large. The Z1 Compact is the perfect size for me :)

FREEDOM!

How about a Moto X?

Oh and there are basically free apps for everything. i think ive bought 3 apps in the last 5 years of my android experience. so dont think you have to

Wow. Maybe I can put my wallet back down for the next few years then!

How about a Moto X?

That's slightly on the larger side and no stores here in Norway has it :(

i can't wait for my upgrade but unfortunately i have other plants like getting a decent monitor first rather than using a tv.....

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

i can't wait for my upgrade but unfortunately i have other plants like getting a decent monitor first rather than using a tv.....

A good monitor is more important than a phone. And anything is better than 1360x768 xD

A good monitor is more important than a phone. And anything is better than 1360x768 xD

wait how did you know that was my resolution well whatever you did that was good guess  :)  ;)

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

Wow. Maybe I can put my wallet back down for the next few years then!

well i should also be clear and say i dont play games on my phone but most of them are free anyways

What should I prepare for?

'Unfortunately [insert app name] has stopped'