M.2 heatsink on motherboard?

Viper_the1st

My motherboard has a metal plate heatsink which covers the m.2 ssd. Is this bad? Should I take the heatsink off? My motherboard is the asus b550-f gaming wifi

3 minutes ago, Viper_the1st said:

My motherboard has a metal plate heatsink which covers the m.2 ssd. Is this bad? Should I take the heatsink off? My motherboard is the asus b550-f gaming wifi

There is no inherent problem with it so leave it on unless some other problems are present.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

12 minutes ago, Viper_the1st said:

no, not bad. make sure you remove the covering on the heatsink after placing your ssd and heatsink

😕

There's a lot of debate on the merits of M.2 heatsinks. If you're doing a lot of sustained heavy I/O, the controller can get very hot, and a heatsink could help dissipate that heat to keep it running efficiently. On the other hand, the NAND likes to be hot, and if the temps aren't high enough, performance and life can be affected. The label on the M.2 is actually a heat spreader for this reason. It helps transfer the heat away from the controller to the NAND, so the controller stays cool and the NAND gets toasty.

The end result, though, is that's it kind of a wash. It's not really going to hurt to apply the heatsink, but it's probably not going to do anything for you either. I'd say your choice mostly boils down to aesthetics. If you like the way it looks leave it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

if it has a thermal pad and your case has decent airflow, go for it, it can hurt anyway, more surface area exposed will dissipate more heat

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6