How to remove grub bootloader?

Go to solution Solved by Nayr438,
14 minutes ago, 374802 said:

the parition does not appear to be visiable in windows disk manager

IGEm4WW.png

Was it a MBR or EFI install?

If it was a EFI install it may have shared the Windows Fat32 partition on your other drive.

If it's EFI

I am not sure how to access it in Windows, but you can boot a live disk and mount the Fat32 partition and delete anything referencing Grub or Ubuntu.

Then

• efibootmgr
  • efibootmgr -b number_of_entry -B

*For example, num_of_entry = Boot0003 = 3

If its MBR, you can try the following. I am not familiar with Windows and this was pulled from a Microsoft KB.

Open cmd as administrator

• Bootrec.exe /FixMbr

• Bootrec.exe /FixBoot

I recently uninstalled ubuntu from my pc. It was located on the 2nd partition on my 2nd ssd (1st partition had mass storage for windows).

I have just deleted ubuntu from my pc by deleting its parition (yes, i know probably bad idea) because I don't want it anymore. However, I have noticed that the grub bootloader used to launch linux is still on my 2nd ssd.

How do I remove the grub bootloader on my second ssd without deleting the data I have on my first partition?

1 minute ago, 374802 said:

I recently uninstalled ubuntu from my pc. It was located on the 2nd partition on my 2nd ssd (1st partition had mass storage for windows).

I have just deleted ubuntu from my pc by deleting its parition (yes, i know probably bad idea) because I don't want it anymore. However, I have noticed that the grub bootloader used to launch linux is still on my 2nd ssd.

How do I remove the grub bootloader on my second ssd without deleting the data I have on my first partition?

Format the partition in windows using Disk Management. It should be a 300MiB Fat32 partition. Ubuntu also should of had 3 partitions.

Fat32 for EFI, swap for swap, and probably ext4 for root.

Just now, Nayr438 said:

Format the partition in windows using Disk Management. It should be a 300MiB Fat32 partition. Ubuntu also should of had 3 partitions.

Fat32 for EFI, swap for swap, and probably ext4 for root.

IGEm4WW.png

14 minutes ago, 374802 said:

IGEm4WW.png

Was it a MBR or EFI install?

If it was a EFI install it may have shared the Windows Fat32 partition on your other drive.

If it's EFI

I am not sure how to access it in Windows, but you can boot a live disk and mount the Fat32 partition and delete anything referencing Grub or Ubuntu.

Then

• efibootmgr
  • efibootmgr -b number_of_entry -B

*For example, num_of_entry = Boot0003 = 3

If its MBR, you can try the following. I am not familiar with Windows and this was pulled from a Microsoft KB.

Open cmd as administrator

• Bootrec.exe /FixMbr

• Bootrec.exe /FixBoot

Edited by Nayr438