How much power do I really need ?

NivZman

I am buying a new computer with i7 10700K and RTX 2080 SUPER. And I don't know how much power do I really need.

From what I understand 650W should be more than enough, I wanted to go for 750W just in case (Corsair RM750 or Be Quiet's straight  power 11 gold 750). 

I saw that on Be quiet's website there is a PSU calculator so I checked it out. And when putting my build specs, even without overclocking, and only 8 RAM (it's the most they have, I actually have 16), and without usb3.1 gen 2 power transmition (I have no idea what that is and if my computer is gonna have it). even with all this off, they say that my system is gonna take a 650W !!! like WTF ?!?!? Everything everyone told me is a lie ?!?! Or are be quiet just lying brutally on their site?!?! what's going on here?

The calculator is here https://www.bequiet.com/en/psucalculator

6 minutes ago, NivZman said:

I am buying a new computer with i7 10700K and RTX 2080 SUPER. And I don't know how much power do I really need.

From what I understand 650W should be more than enough, I wanted to go for 750W just in case (Corsair RM750 or Be Quiet's straight  power 11 gold 750). 

I saw that on Be quiet's website there is a PSU calculator so I checked it out. And when putting my build specs, even without overclocking, and only 8 RAM (it's the most they have, I actually have 16), and without usb3.1 gen 2 power transmition (I have no idea what that is and if my computer is gonna have it). even with all this off, they say that my system is gonna take a 650W !!! like WTF ?!?!? Everything everyone told me is a lie ?!?! Or are be quiet just lying brutally on their site?!?! what's going on here?

Go to https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ Insert the parts you have and it will estimate the wattage usage for you.

8 minutes ago, NivZman said:

Also, I think the Ram thing is the amount of cards you will use, not the Gb.

Some newer mobos though need 8-pin(4+4-pin) + 4-pin CPU power, and at the same time some 750W PSU-s have two  4+4-pin, as some 650W have only one 4+4-pin EPS connector.

So it's better to check out what connectors/cables does each PSU have.

12 minutes ago, NivZman said:

Be Quiet's straight  power 11 gold 750

is better in that sense than 

12 minutes ago, NivZman said:

Corsair RM750

which only has one 8-pin EPS12V connector.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

(PSUs are more efficient at a fraction of their total power output)

No... they start being at their advertised efficiency at about 20% load, with a peak anywhere from 50-90% loading. Before that, they aren't 80+. Obviously varies between manufacturers, but none of them are more efficient at a fraction of their total power output.

The estimators are accurate, in that they predict the maximum power you might need, if you fully loaded the setup. It's not saying "it will use this much" - it's saying "it could use [n]Watts, so we suggest [this PSU].

18 minutes ago, NivZman said:

I mean, the 10700K has a PL2 of 229 W and the 2080 Super has a Power Limit of 255 W. That's only 484 W. Tack on worst case 100 W of incidentals, and you'd be totally fine with a high-quality 550 W unit.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

19 minutes ago, NivZman said:

The thing I do is i just recommend 550w PSU's since its more than enough for mid-end systems and when i make  descions i look at this https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1169026-how-many-watts-do-i-need-20/

ASTRAY NOIR

CPU

Ryzen 5 3600

Cooler

Corsair H100I PRO

RAM

PNY XLR-8 EPIC-X DDR4-3200 CL16 32GB

GPU

ASUS ROG RTX 2070

STORAGE

SAMSUNG 850 EVO, 2xSEAGATE BARRACUDA PRO 1TB,A2000 1TB

Case

NZXT H500 

PSU

Enermax Revolution DF 650W

MONITOR

MSI MAG272,LG 22MP68BQ,DELL D2015H

PERIPHIRALS

Ducky One 2 (HORIZON) || Glorious Model O- Pink || G305 || Razer Nari Essential || HyperX Cloud II

25 minutes ago, NivZman said:

unless you are using high core count Server CPUs, or a multi GPU setup, a 650w will be perfectly fine.

My build

Ryzen 5 2600 @3.95ghz

Cryorig M9a

Gigabyte x470 Ultra Gaming

Gigabyte RX 590 @1720mhz

2x8 Corsair LPX Vengeance 2933

ASUS Wireless card

EVGA 650GQ

Cougar MX330G

WD Blue SATA SSD 500GB

Just now, rx590overclocker said:

unless you are using high core count Server CPUs, or a multi GPU setup, a 650w will be perfectly fine.

So the Be quiet's 750 straight power 11 Gold should be more than enough right?

Just now, NivZman said:

exactly.  that is a good PSU.  I learned the hard way once not to skimp on the PSU.  I currently use an EVGA gold 650w

My build

Ryzen 5 2600 @3.95ghz

Cryorig M9a

Gigabyte x470 Ultra Gaming

Gigabyte RX 590 @1720mhz

2x8 Corsair LPX Vengeance 2933

ASUS Wireless card

EVGA 650GQ

Cougar MX330G

WD Blue SATA SSD 500GB

Just now, NivZman said:

It is a good model.

24 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Some newer mobos though need 8-pin(4+4-pin) + 4-pin CPU power, and at the same time some 750W PSU-s have two  4+4-pin, as some 650W have only one 4+4-pin EPS connector.

So it's better to check out what connectors/cables does each PSU have.

is better in that sense than 

which only has one 8-pin EPS12V connector.

I actually don't really understand in these kind of stuff.

Imma have a Asus z490 tuf gaming plus + i7 10700K + RTX 2080 SUPER + 16GB 3600 CL16 + samsung 970 evo 1 TB ssd NVMe m.2 + arctic liquid cooler 360 in Be quiet's DX500 case. Is the be quiet's 750W straight power 11 gonna be compatible with all that?

I can speak to the 3.1 gen2 thing a little.  3.1 gen 2 is powered.  USB1 is powered too but it’s like 5w or something.  3.1 gen2 is much much higher to the point that it starts to matter.  A single usb3 connection can pull as much as 100w/20v. It’s variable though on what you plug in.

this would be for something like powering a monitor or recharging a phone or something. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, NivZman said:

Asus z490 tuf gaming plus

I have the exact same MoBo and it has 8-pin EPS connector and a 4-pin connector.

So the Be quiet's 750 straight power 11 Gold has them both, while Corsair RM750  only has one 8-pin EPS connector.

13 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

I have the exact same MoBo and it requres 8-pin EPS connector and a 4-pin connector.

So the Be quiet's 750 straight power 11 Gold has them both, while Corsair RM750  only has one 8-pin EPS connector.

This means the rm750 won't even work with my motherboard? Or can it be still connected somehow? Because as of this moment I still didn't tell the store to replace the rm750 with Be quiet's 750 straight power 11 Gold. What would have happened if I didn't tell them to do so? Would they have still been able to assemble it?

1 hour ago, NivZman said:

This means the rm750 won't even work with my motherboard? Or can it be still connected somehow? Because as of this moment I still didn't tell the store to replace the rm750 with Be quiet's 750 straight power 11 Gold. What would have happened if I didn't tell them to do so? Would they have still been able to assemble it?

RM750 does work with the board.

I don't know if the deleted "discussion" in the thread was because I worded that the MoBO "needs 8+4" pin EPS instead of "has 8+4" but it seems so aftyer reading by posts...

Spoiler

Still it was nitpicky imo... But it's better to have all the cables connected, than not. Though I'm not familiar with pinouts of each connector.,