Help with an "unknown" Xeon CPU

So i have a Xeon E5-2650L V4 CPU, that should have been the end of the search...but the S-spec number and the CPU speed make no sense. I know some ESs had 1.5GHz, but i couldn't find it with the S-spec at all, it finds some lamps, but not the CPU, not on cpu-world, no ebay, nothing.

It looks like a normal 2650L V4, both front and back, but the S-spec and the CPU speed bother me. I also don't know if it works or not cause i don't have a board to test it on, came on a dead board (tested with another CPU).

Any thoughts? Maybe a fake? Tho idk why someone would make a fake one that has wrong S-spec and wrong speed.

20200716_185440.jpg

20200716_185511.jpg

It may be an early model. If you look at the engineering samples of the E5-2650L V4, they all seem to be marked as 1.50 rather than 1.70. 

My guess is they made some with the ES base clock printed and  changed it to 1.70 pretty early on. 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It may be an early model. If you look at the engineering samples of the E5-2650L V4, they all seem to be marked as 1.50 rather than 1.70. 

My guess is they made some with the ES base clock printed and  changed it to 1.70 pretty early on. 

Could be, but most ES i saw only had 4 S-spec letters/numbers (on CPU world you can see one called QK93) and the released versions have 5 S-spec letters/numbers and what's even more surprising is that it starts with "SR" aswell, for instance, the one on CPU world is SR2N8. That's why i'm confused, as if this was a released version that was maybe pulled away from market and replaced with an updated version or something?

5 minutes ago, NecroFlex said:

Could be, but most ES i saw only had 4 S-spec letters/numbers (on CPU world you can see one called QK93) and the released versions have 5 S-spec letters/numbers and what's even more surprising is that it starts with "SR" aswell, for instance, the one on CPU world is SR2N8. That's why i'm confused, as if this was a released version that was maybe pulled away from market and replaced with an updated version or something?

Definitely possible. Could also be a limited run that was made for some SI and it's been pulled from there

2 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Definitely possible. Could also be a limited run that was made for some SI and it's been pulled from there

You think Intel would respond with any info if i ask them? :P

24 minutes ago, NecroFlex said:

You think Intel would respond with any info if i ask them? :P

Doesn't hurt to try. I'd be interested to know if you find out

On 7/17/2020 at 9:46 PM, Oshino Shinobu said:

Doesn't hurt to try. I'd be interested to know if you find out

A small update, talked to a support agent, he couldn't find anything on it, the s-spec nr didn't match anything, the codes lower down didn't either, nor did the "barcode" on the bottom of the CPU, but he did escalate the matter to a higher support agents and i'll be contacted via email about it.

12 minutes ago, NecroFlex said:

A small update, talked to a support agent, he couldn't find anything on it, the s-spec nr didn't match anything, the codes lower down didn't either, nor did the "barcode" on the bottom of the CPU, but he did escalate the matter to a higher support agents and i'll be contacted via email about it.

Hmm, that's interesting. Maybe it's actually a fake? 

9 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I did ask him if he thought it was a fake, but he said that he can't confirm that. Maybe he didn't have info since it's lower tier support and i could get more from the higher tech support he forwarded me to. We'll see in the coming days, but he did say one thing that's odd to me (asked about the "SR" in the s-spec):

The letter "R" stands for the Intel Server Board refresh. it means that the board includes the latest Firmware version installed. 
It does not apply for processors.

On 7/20/2020 at 8:49 PM, Oshino Shinobu said:

It's somewhat a fake, tho from what this tells me is that it was an ES version remarked to look like a real one or something, which is interesting.
image.png.ae5f10290908c439f83c98deb0c79810.png

7 hours ago, NecroFlex said:

It's somewhat a fake, tho from what this tells me is that it was an ES version remarked to look like a real one or something, which is interesting.
image.png.ae5f10290908c439f83c98deb0c79810.png

Very interesting. The marking are very clear, they look brand new. I just bought an E5-2680 v2 and the markings are very worn down, which seems to happen to most Intel CPUs. 

I guess it is an ES, which do run at 1.5 and just remarked to look like the production model. Thanks for keeping me posted, the mystery is solved.