How long can a laptop stay turned off before taking damage?

Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,
11 minutes ago, TechNoob09 said:

I actually never thought that keeping the device off for an extended period of time can cause damage to the device.

I own a Surface Pro 6 and I rarely use it. It’s been off for about 3 months now. I’m actually scared that it could be damaged.

I know my questions sound a bit stupid but I’m really worried that I could have damaged the device.
So I’m asking, how long would it take for the device to be damaged, is there a way to test if everything is still ok and what kind of damage should I expect (worst case scenario)?

extended period of not receiving charge can see the battery degrade

as there can be current leakage (or low power usage like keeping track of time) and when a battery is fully drained, it can be damaged

bonus tip, the best battery lvl for storing is not 100%, but somewhere around 40% (for lithium ion batteries) and charge it every 1-3 months to appropriate levels, and fully charge it before using it

one other thing is that when an SSD or HDD is powered off for a long period of time (not months, perhaps years), they can start losing internal data

I actually never thought that keeping the device off for an extended period of time can cause damage to the device.

I own a Surface Pro 6 and I rarely use it. It’s been off for about 3 months now. I’m actually scared that it could be damaged.

I know my questions sound a bit stupid but I’m really worried that I could have damaged the device.
So I’m asking, how long would it take for the device to be damaged, is there a way to test if everything is still ok and what kind of damage should I expect (worst case scenario)?

It will be completely fine. I have pulled phones and desktops out of storage after many, many years and they have all worked fine.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

The biggest issue with this is if the battery type is known to have issues with being completely depleted. Although rare some battery types should be charged up before going dead.

That being said I don't think something newer like that device would have this issue.

11 minutes ago, TechNoob09 said:

as there can be current leakage (or low power usage like keeping track of time) and when a battery is fully drained, it can be damaged

bonus tip, the best battery lvl for storing is not 100%, but somewhere around 40% (for lithium ion batteries) and charge it every 1-3 months to appropriate levels, and fully charge it before using it

one other thing is that when an SSD or HDD is powered off for a long period of time (not months, perhaps years), they can start losing internal data

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

8 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Thanks for the information, I was just asking because someone on reddit said that it completely killed his MacBook. I was also scared that the battery could have be completely dead or health down by something like 20%.

13 minutes ago, Cvet76 said:

The batteries do deteriorate over time, even if they're not used, but who knows what the rate of that is. If you're not using a device, sell/give/gift it away while it has any value.

I’m probably going to give it to my parents.

1 minute ago, TechNoob09 said:

Thanks for the information, I was just asking because someone on reddit said that it completely killed his MacBook. I was also scared that the battery could have be completely dead or health down by something like 20%.

needless to say, dont store it in hot and humid places as that can speed up the process of both battery and storage (especially SSD) degradation

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Storing Lithium batteries at a full charge is bad, that can also kill the battery.  A battery going into known long term storage needs to be at 50% charge or it can and will damage the cells.