What kind of GPU should i get for my needs ?

peter bou saada

Hello,

I am currently building my first PC, i am opting for the following parts:

Ryzen 7 3700x

Asus Tuf Gaming X570 plus (wifi)

T-Force CL16 32GB 3200mhz ram

512 gb ssd

2 tb hdd

now these are good specs for my needs and i know that because ive dealt with these parts bottlenecking before and i know how much i need, however i never really tested gpus much, and when i did i had no accurate benchmarking results, i wont be gaming on this PC at all though, i will be developing games, which is why the higher ram and better CPU, i dont.know however what kinda gpu i need, since i doubt i will be making any triple a titles anytime soon as a solo developer, at first i thought a 5700 xt but honestly thats a bit too expensive for my liking, so now i am considering a 1660 or the radeon equivalent if it exists, i have no idea what that would be, any thoughts on the matter ?

Thank you,

Peter

A 1660 works.  It has the new NVENC encoder so you can use it for video encodes and for streaming if you ever wanted trying out livestreaming the development.  Lots of people tune in for these kinda things.  Art streams, coding streams.  No talking needed.  However since you say you won't be playing games on this at all, and you're sure that nothing you do requires GPU power, just get an old GPU from anywhere really.  A 1050, or something is more than enough since you're only needing a GPU for display.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I say get a RTX 2060, so you can try out Ray tracing in your games.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

The 1660 is a really good buy for med/high 1080p gaming at solid frames. However I'd consider a 1660 super for a bit more and getting a more pleasant experience. The equivalent or these cards would be the 5600XT which is a solid performer and a very good card overall. Even if you're just developing games a good card like the 1660 or RX 5600 XT would be justified because of the heavy 3D work that the engine does.

4 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

A 1660 works.  It has the new NVENC encoder so you can use it for video encodes and for streaming if you ever wanted trying out livestreaming the development.  Lots of people tune in for these kinda things.  Art streams, coding streams.  No talking needed.  However since you say you won't be playing games on this at all, and you're sure that nothing you do requires GPU power, just get an old GPU from anywhere really.  A 1050, or something is more than enough since you're only needing a GPU for display.

I will still be dealing with graphics, just not really high fidelity graphics, and ill still need a decent gpu, which is why i was considering it, however i have no problem going with radeon, do you think this gpu would be good ?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082KYFDYC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tMceFbFCQF8EK

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I say get a RTX 2060, so you can try out Ray tracing in your games.

I highly doubt i will be using ray tracing in my games right now, and its slightly out of my budget

Just now, peter bou saada said:

I highly doubt i will be using ray tracing in my games right now, and its slightly out of my budget

i'd go with the 1660 super then

4 minutes ago, databreach said:

The 1660 is a really good buy for med/high 1080p gaming at solid frames. However I'd consider a 1660 super for a bit more and getting a more pleasant experience. The equivalent or these cards would be the 5600XT which is a solid performer and a very good card overall. Even if you're just developing games a good card like the 1660 or RX 5600 XT would be justified because of the heavy 3D work that the engine does.

You make some good points, what about the 5500 XT Thicc ii pro ?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082KYFDYC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tMceFbFCQF8EK

If you could I would go for a 1660, solely cos CUDA cores are quite widely used in all kinds of development.  Never know when something could be GPU accelerated.  They're very close in performance as well, with the 1660 a few % better.

2 minutes ago, peter bou saada said:

You might wanna consider RX5600xt, a bit more expensive then a 1660s, but FPS is about 20% more.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

So im looking at 1660 Super or 5500 XT or 5600 XT

it seems that 5500 XT is 100$ 2/3 the price of 5600 XT, is the performance increase worth the price difference ? it also seems that the 1660 super is right in between 

It really depends what king of game development you do, and in what engine. But if you work in, for example Unity and you deal with 3D space, then you will still need that GPU performance ... Depending on your budget I would get 1660S or 2060 ... maybe even 2nd hand for now. It should be plenty for you now, and in case of heavy workload or loading complicated scenes, you can buy RTX3060 by the time Christmas comes (I hope) :)

nVidia has better support for development of games compared to AMD in general, but again, that depends solely on your engine and type of game development

Intel i5-750@4GHz // ASUS Strix-GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5@1410MHz core, 7600MHz VRAM // Kingston HyperX 2x4GB DDR3@1600MHz
ASUS P7P55D-E // Enermax PRO87+ 450W GOLD

Just now, SabianSVK said:

It really depends what king of game development you do, and in what engine. But if you work in, for example Unity and you deal with 3D space, then you will still need that GPU performance ... Depending on your budget I would get 1660S or 2060 ... maybe even 2nd hand for now. It should be plenty for you now, and in case of heavy workload or loading complicated scenes, you can buy RTX3060 by the time Christmas comes (I hope) :)

i dont even want to imagine how much the 3060 would cost when it comes out lol

6 minutes ago, peter bou saada said:

So im looking at 1660 Super or 5500 XT or 5600 XT

it seems that 5500 XT is 100$ 2/3 the price of 5600 XT, is the performance increase worth the price difference ? it also seems that the 1660 super is right in between 

From these low end group, the 5600xt is the best, i think it would be a good investment for you.

You may want to check the Cuda support from the game engine.

You can also check used GTX part like 1070 or 1080 and  Vega 56/64 in that price range.

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

From these low end group, the 5600xt is the best, i think it would be a good investment for you.

You may want to check the Cuda support from the game engine.

You can also check used GTX part like 1070 or 1080 and  Vega 56/64 in that price range.

performance wise yes its the best but i am not sure about performance/price, i think 1660 super could be more suitable for me

17 minutes ago, peter bou saada said:

I think ill end up going with 1660 super, anyone have brand recommendations for gpus ?

Most would do well.  It's not a very high power draw card so almost anything can keep it cool.  Honestly, if you're in no rush to get started with development, I'm upgrading to a 3000 series GPU when they come out, and I'm gonna be letting my 1070 go for cheap.  It's within margin of error the performance of a 1660 Super.

But of course, trusting a random online person is never without it's downsides.

5 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Most would do well.  It's not a very high power draw card so almost anything can keep it cool.  Honestly, if you're in no rush to get started with development, I'm upgrading to a 3000 series GPU when they come out, and I'm gonna be letting my 1070 go for cheap.  It's within margin of error the performance of a 1660 Super.

But of course, trusting a random online person is never without it's pitfalls :P

Thanks but i need to get this build done by september first lol

2 minutes ago, peter bou saada said:

Thanks but i need to get this build done by september first lol

Be careful which 1660 Super you buy.  Some use GDDR5 and some use GDDR6 so check the listings properly.  The 1660 Ti all use GDDR6 IIRC.

46 minutes ago, peter bou saada said:

Hello,

I am currently building my first PC, i am opting for the following parts:

Ryzen 7 3700x

Asus Tuf Gaming X570 plus (wifi)

T-Force CL16 32GB 3200mhz ram

512 gb ssd

2 tb hdd

now these are good specs for my needs and i know that because ive dealt with these parts bottlenecking before and i know how much i need, however i never really tested gpus much, and when i did i had no accurate benchmarking results, i wont be gaming on this PC at all though, i will be developing games, which is why the higher ram and better CPU, i dont.know however what kinda gpu i need, since i doubt i will be making any triple a titles anytime soon as a solo developer, at first i thought a 5700 xt but honestly thats a bit too expensive for my liking, so now i am considering a 1660 or the radeon equivalent if it exists, i have no idea what that would be, any thoughts on the matter ?

Thank you,

Peter

Depends on your budget and surely you'd want to do play testing if you're developing games and are you doing nay modelling? Do you want to mess around with Ray tracing etc? Would look at a 2070/2060S 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

1 hour ago, peter bou saada said:

5600 XT. Same power as a 2060 for less money.

50 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

5600 XT. Same power as a 2060 for less money.

Aside from it doesn't support ray tracing at all or NVENC or CUDA or any of Nvidias tools... Oh and it consumes more power, has shakier drivers etc. For gaming sure if you don't care about RTX then why not but it's for dev work which the aforementioned pros are too hard to ignore. 

7 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Aside from it doesn't support ray tracing at all or NVENC or CUDA or any of Nvidias tools... Oh and it consumes more power, has shakier drivers etc. For gaming sure if you don't care about RTX then why not but it's for dev work which the aforementioned pros are too hard to ignore. 

Let me reconstruct.

It actually used basically the same amount of power as any AIB 2060. The differences are margin of error.

Drivers are fine. Youd know If you'd actually looked at a card in the past several months 

RTX is not really usable on a 2060 unless you like cinematic 15 FPS.

CUDA is a thing, yes. If needed, that's a factor

Nvenc is good but you're acting as if the encoder on Navi is non existent. Navi has a very decent encoder and it's better than what many people were running for high end streaming before turning was a thing. Just because nvenc is good doesn't mean everything else is unisable.

For actual development work k, you need a 2070 S or higher to make use of RTX and CUDA is extremely situational. In some cases you can get more by opting for OpenCL or sheer compute force.

2 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Let me reconstruct.

It actually used basically the same amount of power as any AIB 2060. The differences are margin of error.

Drivers are fine. Youd know If you'd actually looked at a card in the past several months 

RTX is not really usable on a 2060 unless you like cinematic 15 FPS.

CUDA is a thing, yes. If needed, that's a factor

Nvenc is good but you're acting as if the encoder on Navi is non existent. Navi has a very decent encoder and it's better than what many people were running for high end streaming before turning was a thing. Just because nvenc is good doesn't mean everything else is unisable.

For actual development work k, you need a 2070 S or higher to make use of RTX and CUDA is extremely situational. In some cases you can get more by opting for OpenCL or sheer compute force.

You mean aside from the RX580 I had to fix driver wise last week? 

But the cores are useful if you want to toy with it as a dev. 

Everything else isn't unusable but NVENC seems to be supported and more efficient that AMDs option.

That's if you want to use OpenCL and the Tflops advantage of navi isn't as large as it was on the RX cards or Vega. Though I'm not a fan of nvidia listing the "52" Tflops of deep learning for the 2060 and not a normal number.