What kind of GPU should i get for my needs ?

peter bou saada
Just now, Lord Vile said:

You mean aside from the RX580 I had to fix driver wise last week? 

But the cores are useful if you want to toy with it as a dev. 

Everything else isn't unusable but NVENC seems to be supported and more efficient that AMDs option.

That's if you want to use OpenCL and the Tflops advantage of navi isn't as large as it was on the RX cards or Vega. Though I'm not a fan of nvidia listing the "52" Tflops of deep learning for the 2060 and not a normal number. 

More imaginary hardware?

The RT cores are as useless on a 2060 as possible. Even for development, you can't do much with so few of them.

So does that mean everyone streaming with 700/800/900 series cards should just stop and buy a 20 series card (also, 16 series use a different encoder IIRC, not the same as on 20). Answer - no. The encoder on Navi is better than most cards and only second to 16/20 series so I REALLY don't think your strawman argument holds up

I mean sure, CUDA is useful I won't deny it but it's not the be-all and end-all of development or professional work. A photographer I know uses Sony Vegass and as such AMD words FAR better for him.

Just now, 5x5 said:

More imaginary hardware?

The RT cores are as useless on a 2060 as possible. Even for development, you can't do much with so few of them.

So does that mean everyone streaming with 700/800/900 series cards should just stop and buy a 20 series card (also, 16 series use a different encoder IIRC, not the same as on 20). Answer - no. The encoder on Navi is better than most cards and only second to 16/20 series so I REALLY don't think your strawman argument holds up

I mean sure, CUDA is useful I won't deny it but it's not the be-all and end-all of development or professional work. A photographer I know uses Sony Vegass and as such AMD words FAR better for him.

I mean it's not like my last 2 cards were AMD and the 3 PCs I've built in the last few years for family have all got RX580's (One has a 480) in them. 

Well 800 series cards are OEM only and along with 700 series cards aren't powerful enough to do much now aside from esports and older games. the 900 series is going that way too. Missed the 1000 series too.

Is the use case Sony vegas? No. It's game dev which is an area where Nvidia cards offer more. I get you might not like them, hell I don't I literally just have an Nvidia card because PhysX and i play the Arkham games too much, but you should recommend what's best for the OP not what company logo you have printed on your body pillow. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

1 minute ago, Lord Vile said:

I mean it's not like my last 2 cards were AMD and the 3 PCs I've built in the last few years for family have all got RX580's (One has a 480) in them. 

Well 800 series cards are OEM only and along with 700 series cards aren't powerful enough to do much now aside from esports and older games. the 900 series is going that way too. Missed the 1000 series too.

Is the use case Sony vegas? No. It's game dev which is an area where Nvidia cards offer more. I get you might not like them, hell I don't I literally just have an Nvidia card because PhysX and i play the Arkham games too much, but you should recommend what's best for the OP not what company logo you have printed on your body pillow. 

If we were to assume you're telling the truth this time - why do you hate-buy a product?

700, 800 and 900 series cards are very much usable and account for over 50% of total users as per multiple hardware surveys lol. Saying they're irrelevant when the majority of people use them. Imagine that.

Game development is non vendor-specific in any way. shape or form. Instead of throwing cheap 4-chan insults, consider following your own advice and recommending what's optimal for the OP.

23 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

If we were to assume you're telling the truth this time - why do you hate-buy a product?

700, 800 and 900 series cards are very much usable and account for over 50% of total users as per multiple hardware surveys lol. Saying they're irrelevant when the majority of people use them. Imagine that.

Game development is non vendor-specific in any way. shape or form. Instead of throwing cheap 4-chan insults, consider following your own advice and recommending what's optimal for the OP.

I get the better product disregarding brand. If the 5700XT was noticeably faster than the 2060S in the games I play then I would have got that, but I get over 100 in everything at the settings I want and hit my monitors refresh rate in the games I want. Plus I'll be getting a new card soon when ray tracing performance improves.

According to the steam hardware survey the top 8 are all Nvidia 1000 series or newer with a combined share of around 40% and the first early card is the 970 in 10th with 2%. So it is mathematically impossible for the 700-900 series to be anywhere close to 50%.

You mean aside from the tools nvidia has avaialable and AMD doesn't and the support that nvidia has an AMD doesn't. The fact I can type Nvidia developer tools and come to a page like this from a drop down:

https://developer.nvidia.com/tools-overview

Vs typing in AMD instead and getting this:

https://www.amd.com/en/press-releases/2019-03-19-amd-radeon-gpus-and-developer-tools-tapped-for-google-stadia-game

Speaks volumes

Guys, what are you fighting over here? He said he is a game dev, that GENERALLY means you should go for NVIDIA, the guy said he probably wants to go for GTX1660 and wants recommendations on specific model ...

Instead you´re bickering here. It´s not like we know what kind of game dev he does, nor Engine he uses, so we cannot debate over specifics... Either give information on specific game engines / sw that plays better on AMD than NVIDIA (I am sure there will be few), or give the man recommendations for good GTX1660. TY

Intel i5-750@4GHz // ASUS Strix-GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5@1410MHz core, 7600MHz VRAM // Kingston HyperX 2x4GB DDR3@1600MHz
ASUS P7P55D-E // Enermax PRO87+ 450W GOLD

12 hours ago, 5x5 said:

More imaginary hardware?

The 1660 uses the same Turing NVENC encoder, hence the recommendation.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

3 hours ago, Samfisher said:

The 1660 uses the same Turing NVENC encoder, hence the recommendation.

I was suggesting the RTX line for playing with Ray tracing and it has stuff like tensor cores which I believe the 1660 doesn't? 

1 minute ago, Lord Vile said:

I was suggesting the RTX line for playing with Ray tracing and it has stuff like tensor cores which I believe the 1660 doesn't? 

No they don't.  But a 2060 is out of the budget anyway so it doesn't really matter.  Also being a solo developer, OP is probably gonna stick to the basics for now without having to care about raytracing even remotely.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

2 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

No they don't.  But a 2060 is out of the budget anyway so it doesn't really matter.  Also being a solo developer, OP is probably gonna stick to the basics for now without having to care about raytracing even remotely.

you can pick up a 2060 used for like 200-250 which is in the 1660 price ballpark