Looking for Recommendation for Very Cheap Phone Carrier for 4 people, just over 1GB total data usage per month, unlimited calls and texts

john01dav

The title basically says what I'm looking for. I'm on AT&T right now, but they've pissed me off for the last time. I want a carrier with 24/7 live chat support that can actually help. AT&T's live chat is not even close to 24/7, and the last time that I used it (to get a new sim card sent) they sent the wrong size. Additionally, their live chat program is full of spyware to the point that it won't even load with any sort of tracking protection enabled. We're currently paying US$200+ per month, but it seems like US$40-50 should be doable with this level of data usage. I may settle for a 24/7 phone number if needed. I see a few different options in this price point, but none who's support is any better.

i use us cellular but they are pretty regional as far as coverage but i've never needed to call support since 2003

Looks like there’s a lot of research in your future.  Ting advertises a lot on LTT and it can be good in certain situations. Basically it’s super old school metered line.  If you really do use very little data then it can be a good deal.  The problem I had was it turned out I used more data than I thought I did.  I do spend most of my time using wifi data, but I also use Apple Maps when I drive and that IS data.  Quite a bit it turns out.  I wound up breaking about even.  I still think it’s a good product.  It just didn’t work well for my use case.  Might work for yours.  Might not.  Do the math. There are bunches and bunches of companies. Some of them are quite small. They will have promotions.  Those promotions will end. It pays to be willing to change carriers at the drop of a hat.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

20 hours ago, john01dav said:

The title basically says what I'm looking for. I'm on AT&T right now, but they've pissed me off for the last time. I want a carrier with 24/7 live chat support that can actually help. AT&T's live chat is not even close to 24/7, and the last time that I used it (to get a new sim card sent) they sent the wrong size. Additionally, their live chat program is full of spyware to the point that it won't even load with any sort of tracking protection enabled. We're currently paying US$200+ per month, but it seems like US$40-50 should be doable with this level of data usage. I may settle for a 24/7 phone number if needed. I see a few different options in this price point, but none who's support is any better.

First of all you need to determine which of the big guys network is worth a shit in your area. Most of these smaller networks lease network usage from the big 3 (Spints network still exists, but it won't be long before TMobile dismantles parts of it). Support in the telecom industry sucks. Ive had excellent support with TMobile, BUT their network is pretty crappy in rural areas. Some places to check, Ting, Boost, Metro PCS, Cricket, Tracfone, Google Fi, Im sure there are some Im not thinking of. 

If your planning on using your current devices, check the model numbers and verify what bands the phones support. Also make sure you get those unlocked from AT&T. Not sure what their process for doing that is. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Where you are going to use the phone is a big deal.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.