razer red or purple switch

xyan3

im kinda fonfused on what to get i want the clicky sound at the same time i want speed can someone tell me the pros and cons of both

Hey there. The Razer Linear Optical Switch ("Red") and Razer Clicky Optical Switch ("Purple") are both optical switches (horizontal light variant). This is what they look like in action:

razer-huntsman-elite-optical-switch.gif

Left: Razer Clicky Optical Switch. Right: Razer Linear Optical Switch.

About Optical Switches:

Spoiler
On 6/25/2020 at 5:06 PM, Eschew said:

Optical switches, similar to mechanical switches in exterior but functionally different from them, utilize light to register keystrokes.

• Horizontal Light (e.g. Gateron KS-15, LIGHT STRIKE): Within the switch is a horizontal beam of light. At rest, the beam’s path is blocked. When the switch is pressed, the beam’s path is clear, the light reaches a sensor, and a keystroke is registered.
  • Vertical Light (e.g. Aimpad, Flaretech): Within the switch is a vertical beam of light. At rest, the beam travels its full distance (100%). When the switch is pressed, the beam’s path shortens, a sensor reads the change in position (e.g. 75%), and a keystroke is registered. Because different values may be read by the sensor (i.e. 0-100% vs. ON/OFF), users are given more “analog” control over input (e.g. a character’s walking speed).

An industry standard for optical switches doesn’t seem to exist as of yet. This means that, in terms of compatibility, a PCB that is compatible with one set of optical switches may not be compatible with optical switches from another manufacturer, and are almost certainly not compatible with mechanical switches. Most optical switches adopt MX-style stems, however, and should be compatible with MX-style keycaps.

Optical switches are touted for their rapid response time/light actuation, so that's got the speed criteria covered. If you want a clicky experience and are dead-set on the Razer optical switch lineup, I'd suggest the Razer Clicky Optical Switch. You can read more about Razer's optical switches on Razer's site (Razer Optical Switches).

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

On 7/15/2020 at 1:51 PM, xyan3 said:

im kinda fonfused on what to get i want the clicky sound at the same time i want speed can someone tell me the pros and cons of both

If you primarily type and game, then get the purple switch... Theyre clicky yes, but dont have a mechanical spring inside, so the durability is much higher at 100 Mio. Keystrokes....

Purple Switch: 1,5mm Actuation, 3,5mm Bottom-Out, 45g Force 

Red Switch: 1mm Actuation, 3,5 mm Bottom-Out, 40g Force

So as you can see the red switch is VERY light and the sound bc of the metal stabilisers is terrible....... but Razer fixed the sound issue on theyre newly released Huntsman Mini (60%) keeb...

So if i were you, just go with the purple switch.... Has a click that is satisfying, and there arent any compromises compared to the red switch...

youre welcome

5 minutes ago, GG_PC_Fanatic said:

If you primarily type and game, then get the purple switch... Theyre clicky yes, but dont have a mechanical spring inside, so the durability is much higher at 100 Mio. Keystrokes....

Purple Switch: 1,5mm Actuation, 3,5mm Bottom-Out, 45g Force 

Red Switch: 1mm Actuation, 3,5 mm Bottom-Out, 40g Force

So as you can see the red switch is VERY light and the sound bc of the metal stabilisers is terrible....... but Razer fixed the sound issue on theyre newly released Huntsman Mini (60%) keeb...

So if i were you, just go with the purple switch.... Has a click that is satisfying, and there arent any compromises compared to the red switch...

youre welcome

Purple Pros: clicky sound (oh yes), fantastic stabilazation due to the Box shape, its an optical switch meaning, youre switch cant break so youre good....

Purple cons: if you like clicky switches that dont blow youre head off... this switch is defenitly a clicky switch, but not so much like the Kailh Box Jade...

Red Pros: SPEED... really this is a really fast switch, just a bit slower than the Steelseries Apex Pro, which you can actuate at 0.4mm....

Red Cons: NOT good for typing... due to the lightness, you can just let your finger stay on a key and it will actuate due to the 1mm actuation....

If youre not a linear guy, it will feel weird to not feel a bump, letalone a click

So if you want speed and click, purple is your win...

youre welcome

2 hours ago, GG_PC_Fanatic said:
On 7/15/2020 at 12:51 PM, xyan3 said:

If you primarily type and game, then get the purple switch

Why? Switches are completely personal preference. 

so the durability is much higher at 100 Mio.

Those numbers are bullshit. They are marketing terms. 

Purple Pros: clicky sound (oh yes), fantastic stabilazation due to the Box shape, its an optical switch meaning, youre switch cant break so youre good....

This switch still can break (the bulb could pop, etc.)

NOT good for typing... due to the lightness, you can just let your finger stay on a key and it will actuate due to the 1mm actuation....

That could be a pro to some people, as I said before switches are personal preference. 

14 hours ago, gloop said:

Why? Switches are completely personal preference. 

Those numbers are bullshit. They are marketing terms. 

This switch still can break (the bulb could pop, etc.)

That could be a pro to some people, as I said before switches are personal preference. 

Yes, preference.... He said he wanted a click and speed, and purples have a click and they are faster than a standard mechanical switch.... and about the lifespan, you have a point... but rest assured those will serve him a long time.....

I have a Razer Huntsman Elite w/purple switches and it feels/sounds a lot like my older Razer Blackwidow Ultimate w/blue switches.  Not sure if I could get away with the reds for typing because they do actuate quickly, even when resting your fingers.  Used a Corsair K70 RGB w/brown in between the two and I'm glad I switched back.  Overall, I like the audible confirmation of the key being hit as well as the coinciding tactile feel.

Also, try out the Viper Ultimate if you want to pair the keyboard with a good, lightweight cordless mouse.

Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

ITX - Intel i7-10700k | Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 2080 Super| Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD | NZXT H1| Windows 10 Pro

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

Work - Dell XPS 15 9560 | i7-7700HQ | 32 GB RAM | 1TB NVMe | 4k dsiplay