5.15w/mk bad thermal paste?

HummusCake

Should i invest in Thermal Right TF8 for £10 with 13.8m/mk, how much of a difference will it make? my alienware reaches 93-97 degrees on cpu

edit: should i invest a bit more for liquid metal?

Pc value: 9999999$. Alienware 15 r2: 16GB Ram ddr3, Intel Core i-7 4110HQ @ 3.5ghz, gtx 970m, 1 TB HDD *for games*, 120GB SSD *for windows*.

fastest boot time, 6.5 seconds

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

https://www.wepc.com/reviews/best-thermal-paste/ seems like arctic silver would be better

whats the w/mk?

Pc value: 9999999$. Alienware 15 r2: 16GB Ram ddr3, Intel Core i-7 4110HQ @ 3.5ghz, gtx 970m, 1 TB HDD *for games*, 120GB SSD *for windows*.

5 minutes ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

my alienware reaches 93-97 degrees on cpu

Laptops are know for bad cooling; is your fan clean? Does your cpu have enough thermal paste to begin with (don’t be like the verge tho).

what processor are we talking? Some processors are rated for pretty high maximum temps

1 minute ago, Bobotie1 said:

Laptops are know for bad cooling; is your fan clean? Does your cpu have enough thermal paste to begin with (don’t be like the verge tho).

what processor are we talking? Some processors are rated for pretty high maximum temps

my cpu is i7 4710hq, temp limit is 100 degrees. i have probably changed the thermal paste/cleaned fans about 6 times this year, i cleaned it out and repasted about 1 week ago. i always have fans at max speed since idle temps are super good till stressed test

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

The MX-4 from Arctic Cooling is listed first and shows that this new compound keeps the same thermal conductivity of 8.5 W/mK

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3383/arctic_cooling_mx_4_thermal_compound/index.html

for £4 extra i can get one with 13.5 W/mK but im deciding if i should go with liquid metal, will liquid metal seep out if i move my laptop around alot?

Just now, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

for £4 extra i can get one with 13.5 W/mK but im deciding if i should go with liquid metal, will liquid metal seep out if i move my laptop around alot?

yeah idk ive heard some people have trouble applying liquid metal and liquid metal is obviously electrically conductive so personally its not worth it to me. 

yeah idk ive heard some people have trouble applying liquid metal and liquid metal is obviously electrically conductive so personally its not worth it to me. 

yeah im not taking the risk, i will try out the 13.5W/mK and see how much it improves, should i replace thermal pads too? they have never been changed

4 minutes ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

for £4 extra i can get one with 13.5 W/mK 

It wouldn't matter. The fact that you re-pasted several times this year and temps are not coming down tells you that it's not the thermal paste, but more likely the CPU+laptop design combination.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It wouldn't matter. The fact that you re-pasted several times this year and temps are not coming down tells you that it's not the thermal paste, but more likely the CPU+laptop design combination.

i've repasted with the same thermal paste so really i wouldnt see a difference, i only changed  so many times because i open up my laptop alot to replace parts or bios reset etc and fans got dusty quick which involves removing motherboard

4 minutes ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

yeah im not taking the risk, i will try out the 13.5W/mK and see how much it improves, should i replace thermal pads too? they have never been changed

idk have you checked the mosfet temps

1 minute ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

i've repasted with the same thermal paste so really i wouldnt see a difference,

My point is that the difference between very old, dried-up thermal paste vs recently applied paste will be bigger than the difference between any 2 non-terrible thermal pastes.

If you are seeing these temps with fresh paste, expect a 2ºC difference, or a few seconds/minutes longer until reaching the same temps, from using a different paste.

idk have you checked the mosfet temps

whats that?

2 minutes ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

whats that?

i dont have much experience with replacing thermal pads so idk mosfets help regulate power to your processor and im guessing thats what the thermal pads would be on? but either way they wouldnt affect your cpu temperature

23 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

i dont have much experience with replacing thermal pads so idk mosfets help regulate power to your processor and im guessing thats what the thermal pads would be on? but either way they wouldnt affect your cpu temperature

oh ok