Asus ROG PG278Q - Need to repair - Cannot find guide

JFP1992

Looking to the hive mind of LTT

*TLDR

Apologies if I break any forum rules, this is my first post here.

I have a fucked ASUS ROG swift, it's not proper fucked - as in smashed, it just conked out over night - link to other LTT post with user with same issue - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1051170-asus-pg278q-whitegrey-screen-not-responding/

Another post I found with user with same issue - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1096305-help-asus-rog-pg278q-white-screen-can-it-be-fixed/

One suggestion was to look for bad capacitors, my googlefu is good enough to find replacement caps and I can solder

My main issue is getting the thing apart without putting the nail in the coffin for this monitor - I really don't want to spend £300 on a new monitor

EDIT: No luck on finding guides on ifixit

Has anyone got experience in taking this monitor apart or a similar model with same assembly?

If I can get the information I need I'll write a guide myself on how I fixed it (if i can)

*TLDR - Might be able to fix PG278Q by replacing bad caps, but need to know how to open it.

Kind Regards, James.P

Update:

That was a bitch to open - No fucked caps - reassembled same amount of dead as before.

Steps if anyone is interested:

1. There is a black screw on the bottom under the asus logo - unscrew it

2. Get your strongest spudger (in my case it was a butter knife)

3. Insert butter knife between the panel and the plastic shell

4. work your way around prying - don't be overly gentle, you should be hearing small snaps as the clips undo around all 4 edges - I didn't break anything - everything snapped back in after

5. be careful, there is a ribbon cable attached to the plastic shell and the PCB inside

6. To remove ribbon cable, lift up the black part using your finger nail then the ribbon will slide out with ease

7. Peel off aluminium tape

8. Unscrew the small black screw near the IO

9. mark where the edges of the metal case is so you can put it back in the right place

10. remove both cables from the small PCB

11. Lift up the metal casing

12. unscrew both screws from each PCB

13. pry the top part of the metal casing so the metal clip can clear the PCB for removal

To reassemble do the reverse

Please don't follow these instructions if you aren't confident in doing similar tasks, there is chance for breakage, this is just a rough guide on how to get at the thing.

Good Job, I have the same problem. Please keep me posted for any updates. Thank you