Anything with root access for reading ebooks?

Luxzio22

I wanted the best device to read PDFs and ebooks, because reading them on PC is a pain and flipping through a million pages on a 6inch screen like my phone is even worse. Is there a tablet or (large)phone that I can easily root to install an unobtrusive custom android so I can use it just as an ebook reader? I'm tired of dealing with companies' BS when it comes to their updates and ads, and deal with it already on my phone. So such a unicorn of a device exist? And for those who read a lot, what do you read on?

CPU: AMD Athlon 200GE

Mobo: Gigabyte B450MDS3H

RAM: Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 3000Mhz

GPU: Asus ROG Strix RX570 4GB

1TB HDD, Windows 10 64-bit

Take a look at the Nvidia Shield K1, Pixel C, Nexus 9, or Nexus 7. All of these devices are extremely easy to root and have extensive community support. You can usually buy these devices fairly cheap on the used market. I personally use a Nexus 7 with LineageOS 17.1 as a textbook e-reader.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

I didn't mention requirements because easy root access would be so great itself but I've kinda given up on android and mobile as of late because everything has some caveat. 8inch screen and up(can compromise on smaller screen if cheaper) and as cheap as possible while still being powerful enough to run a custom ROM is my only real requirement. I'll look at the devices PP recommended but I don't think they'd be as plentiful in the Indian used market. :P

Please tell me if I'm wrong in being angry at having to sort through 20+ apps I don't need and can't uninstall when I look at playstore updates. Or with ad messages that I can't turn off wherever I look because it doesn't even show which app is doing it so I can't revoke notifications permissions. If there's anything to get rid of all this on a Xiaomi, I'd be happy to know. 

EDIT: The only e-reader available in my country is the kindle and its both overpriced and can't be serviced (if it malfunctions, it has to be replaced ie re-bought). Also its completely locked down and revolves around amazon, and spending in general. 

What do you need root for? There are non-root methods to debloat and block ads.

Why shouldn't I have it? Besides removing ads, there's plenty of stuff I'd like to do. If I'm paying for everything that can run an OS, why shouldn't I be able to choose that OS?

The device's power has nothing to do with running custom ROMs. Do you really need to run a custom ROM? Do you have experience installing custom ROMs? Because learning the ropes is a steep incline and no one here will hold your hand through the process.

Why be so harsh? People have learned to run them before right? When I mean powerful enough, I mean not having an ancient processor and 1GB of RAM, which are many used phones where I live. 

What Xiaomi? Have you tried a custom ROM on your phone to see if it actually helps with your issue?
The cheapest tablet that is actually worth a damn and has custom ROMs is probably the Mi Pad 4

Its a Redmi 6, and because of not wanting to take risks with my work/personal/main phone, I haven't gone out of the manufacturer's walled garden. I'll check the device you mentioned, but they aren't officially released (just like how my phone isn't released in the US).