Is this build alright?

seoul-
3 minutes ago, seoul- said:

First ever budget gaming build. Is there anything I could possibly save on? Will it have decent performance? 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/8jVZYH

go with phanteks p300 a instead and with the savings het rx 5600XT and b550 board.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/HbWF27

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

get a hard drive from Seagate if you need more storage which you probably will. and if you want to save some money on the case just get the nzxt h510.

also you could look at some cheap b550 boards as the b450 boards are sometimes not compatible with 3rd gen ryzen chips. you might have to bios update it for it to work. the one I have mentioned in my parts list does work.

to replace your gpu you could get the 5600xt it will definitely beat the 1660 super by a huge margin. it is almost similar to a rtx 2060

I would go with something like this

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/FFc8Nq

6 minutes ago, DarkAavenger777 said:

get a hard drive from Seagate if you need more storage which you probably will. and if you want to save some money on the case just get the nzxt h510.

also you could look at some cheap b550 boards as the b450 boards are sometimes not compatible with 3rd gen ryzen chips. you might have to bios update it for it to work. the one I have mentioned in my parts list does work.

to replace your gpu you could get the 5600xt it will definitely beat the 1660 super by a huge margin. it is almost similar to a rtx 2060

I would go with something like this

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/FFc8Nq

I was going to leave the hdd out for now since I am on a tight enough budget. Sorry but the build you made is going way over my budget since I have to convert it to euros so. Any B450 board with Max in the name will be ryzen 3000 ready BTW. Regarding the case idk whether to stick with that as it seems to be very good and also 3 fans so I won't have to add extras. GN also have it case of the year therefore I thought it would be a good option. Went with the mortar to save a bit since it's close enough to the tomahawk

1 minute ago, seoul- said:

I was going to leave the hdd out for now since I am on a tight enough budget. Sorry but the build you made is going way over my budget since I have to convert it to euros so. Any B450 board with Max in the name will be ryzen 3000 ready BTW. Regarding the case idk whether to stick with that as it seems to be very good and also 3 fans so I won't have to add extras. GN also have it case of the year therefore I thought it would be a good option. Went with the mortar to save a bit since it's close enough to the tomahawk

what about the 5600xt? that would be very nice. its only like £20 over but gives you the performance of a rtx 2060.

13 minutes ago, DarkAavenger777 said:

the case just get the nzxt h510

Terrible choice. The p300a mesh is a MUCH better choice. 

2 minutes ago, gloop said:

Terrible choice. The p300a mesh is a MUCH better choice. 

it is okay

u have a h510 lol

7 minutes ago, DarkAavenger777 said:

what about the 5600xt? that would be very nice. its only like £20 over but gives you the performance of a rtx 2060.

Possibly though I was trying to save rather than add on more lmao

1 minute ago, DarkAavenger777 said:

it is okay

It isn’t. It has terrible airflow, and the build experience is only OK. 

2 minutes ago, DarkAavenger777 said:

ve a h510 lol

And I also have buyers remorse. 

1 minute ago, gloop said:

lol

2 minutes ago, DarkAavenger777 said:

it is okay

u have a h510 lol

Just now, gloop said:

Does it have similar airflow to the p400a? Also from what I saw there seems to be 3 fans are they rgb? 

It's *okay*. You can definitely do better, but it adds to the build cost. The CPU is great, though if you can find the 3300X that will get you more bang for the buck and save you a little money. It's still hard to find in most places, though. The RAM is also good. 3600mhz would be better, but probably doesn't warrant the extra cost.in the UK. Here, in the states, it's only slightly more expensive than 3200mhz, if it's more expensive at all, so it would be a no-brainer here.

The two biggest weak spots are your storage and GPU. The WD Blue is a perfectly fine drive, but it's just an M.2 form factor. It's not NVMe, so it's still SATA speeds. If you can step up to a WD Black, you'd get a massively faster drive. Otherwise, if you're fine with 560Mbps, stick with that, or get the actual SATA WD Blue and save an M.2 slot for something that will actually make use of it, later.

An RX 5600 XT would be a much better GPU than the 1660, but again, you're going to have to pay a bit more. Still, I think it's easily worth the extra £50. That's up to you, though.

Mobo is fine, but B550 or X570 would be better. That looks to be twice the price at minimum, though, so bit of a harder sell.

Still, if you can throw an extra £200 at this build, you'd get a ton of bang for that extra money. Otherwise, there's nothing really wrong with your build, aside from just realizing that that M.2 drive isn't actually buying you anything over SATA.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

4 minutes ago, seoul- said:

Does it have similar airflow to the p400a? Also from what I saw there seems to be 3 fans are they rgb? 

The P400a has much better airflow, and has the added bonus of the rgb fans. It’s much better all round. 

3 minutes ago, DarkAavenger777 said:

lol

Considering you have nothing else useful to contribute to the conversation, I’m going to end this debate here. 

13 minutes ago, gloop said:

Considering you have nothing else useful to contribute to the conversation, I’m going to end this debate here. 

k

42 minutes ago, DarkAavenger777 said:

and if you want to save some money on the case just get the nzxt h510.

I too enjoy chocking my airflow.

You're original list is pre aight but some changes can be made here and there.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£149.65 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£92.13 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory  (£69.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£51.95 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£35.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card  (£217.98 @ Technextday)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR400 (w/o ODD) MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£58.58 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£69.99 @ Currys PC World)
Total: £746.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-12 14:08 BST+0100

I would highly suggest tuning the RAM. These kits are super easy to OC and getting performance gains is literally like taking candy from a baby. The case has a front mesh panel which allows a lot of air in and is pretty decent to work in. As for your storage I would highly suggest getting a 1TB/2TB HDD to store your games and big files in.

1 hour ago, Chris Pratt said:

It's *okay*. You can definitely do better, but it adds to the build cost. The CPU is great, though if you can find the 3300X that will get you more bang for the buck and save you a little money. It's still hard to find in most places, though. The RAM is also good. 3600mhz would be better, but probably doesn't warrant the extra cost.in the UK. Here, in the states, it's only slightly more expensive than 3200mhz, if it's more expensive at all, so it would be a no-brainer here.

The two biggest weak spots are your storage and GPU. The WD Blue is a perfectly fine drive, but it's just an M.2 form factor. It's not NVMe, so it's still SATA speeds. If you can step up to a WD Black, you'd get a massively faster drive. Otherwise, if you're fine with 560Mbps, stick with that, or get the actual SATA WD Blue and save an M.2 slot for something that will actually make use of it, later.

An RX 5600 XT would be a much better GPU than the 1660, but again, you're going to have to pay a bit more. Still, I think it's easily worth the extra £50. That's up to you, though.

Mobo is fine, but B550 or X570 would be better. That looks to be twice the price at minimum, though, so bit of a harder sell.

Still, if you can throw an extra £200 at this build, you'd get a ton of bang for that extra money. Otherwise, there's nothing really wrong with your build, aside from just realizing that that M.2 drive isn't actually buying you anything over SATA.

Yeah, I was thinking of the 3300x but will it be future proof? Since most upcoming games will need more cores right? I am considering the 5600xt, it's only 30 more and honestly from watching benchmarks etc, I think it could be worth it. I will need to downgrade something else to be able to fit that in though. Regarding the SSD, will it make a dramatic difference? I don't care much about speed if I can save a bit. I think I will stick with the Mortar Max for now and upgrade in a few years. What do you think I could cut down on?

3 minutes ago, seoul- said:

Yeah, I was thinking of the 3300x but will it be future proof? Since most upcoming games will need more cores right? I am considering the 5600xt, it's only 30 more and honestly from watching benchmarks etc, I think it could be worth it. I will need to downgrade something else to be able to fit that in though. Regarding the SSD, will it make a dramatic difference? I don't care much about speed if I can save a bit. I think I will stick with the Mortar Max for now and upgrade in a few years. What do you think I could cut down on?

Most games still rely heavily on single-core performance, even if they support multi-core. The exception would be really CPU intensive games like Civ 6, but even then, the turns might just take a little longer. It's not going to be some crazy huge difference. That CPU has a ton of value for the price, but I'd still only recommend it if you only care about gaming though. If you're going to be doing any productivity, I'd bite the bullet and get a 3700X. That would more than future proof you for games and will run productivity workloads much better.

5600XT is definitely worth it, especially for 30 extra. Like it's not even a question. That GPU in particular is an amazing value, punching well above its price point. I have a Sapphire PULSE 5600XT and I run it at WQHD (3440x1440) on Ultra with 60+ fps. You really have to step up to $400+ cards to meaningfully beat it.

As far as the SSD goes, for the most part SATA is sufficient. In gaming in particular, you probably won't notice any difference from NVMe, though it might help load times a little. For other tasks, though, it's more noticeable. Your boot will be significantly quicker. Installs are like insta-done. Again, it depends on whether you'll be using the machine for productivity. You will definitely notice it in applications that make heavy use of storage. Still, for the most part, you'd be fine with SATA speeds alone. I just wanted to call it out, because the marketing around M.2 seems to be a little deceptive, and it's easy to think you're getting something you're not.

Unfortunately, I don't see much room for saving money. Going much under where you're at starts requiring big compromises that usually just aren't worth the money you're saving. Realistically, a decent CPU/GPU combo is half the cost alone, and you still have a minimum of 5 other components to buy, 6 if you want extra game storage. You could try to go really cheap on the case, since that ultimately adds zero value to the build, and you can always get another case later and just drop your build in. Everything else is really to important to cheap out on much, though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

18 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

Most games still rely heavily on single-core performance, even if they support multi-core. The exception would be really CPU intensive games like Civ 6, but even then, the turns might just take a little longer. It's not going to be some crazy huge difference. That CPU has a ton of value for the price, but I'd still only recommend it if you only care about gaming though. If you're going to be doing any productivity, I'd bite the bullet and get a 3700X. That would more than future proof you for games and will run productivity workloads much better.

5600XT is definitely worth it, especially for 30 extra. Like it's not even a question. That GPU in particular is an amazing value, punching well above its price point. I have a Sapphire PULSE 5600XT and I run it at WQHD (3440x1440) on Ultra with 60+ fps. You really have to step up to $400+ cards to meaningfully beat it.

As far as the SSD goes, for the most part SATA is sufficient. In gaming in particular, you probably won't notice any difference from NVMe, though it might help load times a little. For other tasks, though, it's more noticeable. Your boot will be significantly quicker. Installs are like insta-done. Again, it depends on whether you'll be using the machine for productivity. You will definitely notice it in applications that make heavy use of storage. Still, for the most part, you'd be fine with SATA speeds alone. I just wanted to call it out, because the marketing around M.2 seems to be a little deceptive, and it's easy to think you're getting something you're not.

Unfortunately, I don't see much room for saving money. Going much under where you're at starts requiring big compromises that usually just aren't worth the money you're saving. Realistically, a decent CPU/GPU combo is half the cost alone, and you still have a minimum of 5 other components to buy, 6 if you want extra game storage. You could try to go really cheap on the case, since that ultimately adds zero value to the build, and you can always get another case later and just drop your build in. Everything else is really to important to cheap out on much, though.

Yeah I understand that, well the games I will be mostly playing are siege, csgo, apex and mordhau, maybe gta v. I know Mordhau is very CPU intensive. Regarding rhe GPU, I understand what you are saying but I think I was getting a little bit ahead of myself, I am trying to save more rather than spend a bit more, and from benchmark videos. The R5 3600/1660 SUPER are more than sufficient for the games I will be playing even at high/ultra quality.

With the SSD. Do you mean buying something such as the Crucial P1 NVME M.2 500GB SSD? That is the one I had in before but swapped it out to save a bit more. On this PC I wont be doing alot of productivity. It will be mainly gaming, while listening to Spotify. Also occasional browing or Netflix..therefore is it really neccesary? I might consider it but as I said before I am trying to save.

I was looking at other cases I could get from around 60-70 that would be mAtx cases such as the MB320L etc, but more than likely most of those cases will require extra fans. Therefore the P400A seemed perfect since it has 3 pre-installed fans therefore I won't need any others. But if you do know of any good mAtx cases that have 3 fans or just good airlfow in general please let me know. Thanks

4 minutes ago, seoul- said:

Yeah I understand that, well the games I will be mostly playing are siege, csgo, apex and mordhau, maybe gta v. I know Mordhau is very CPU intensive. Regarding rhe GPU, I understand what you are saying but I think I was getting a little bit ahead of myself, I am trying to save more rather than spend a bit more, and from benchmark videos. The R5 3600/1660 SUPER are more than sufficient for the games I will be playing even at high/ultra quality.

With the SSD. Do you mean buying something such as the Crucial P1 NVME M.2 500GB SSD? That is the one I had in before but swapped it out to save a bit more. On this PC I wont be doing alot of productivity. It will be mainly gaming, while listening to Spotify. Also occasional browing or Netflix..therefore is it really neccesary? I might consider it but as I said before I am trying to save.

I was looking at other cases I could get from around 60-70 that would be mAtx cases such as the MB320L etc, but more than likely most of those cases will require extra fans. Therefore the P400A seemed perfect since it has 3 pre-installed fans therefore I won't need any others. But if you do know of any good mAtx cases that have 3 fans or just good airlfow in general please let me know. Thanks

Everything was just suggestions anyways. There's nothing wrong with your build, but it's better to go in fully informed, so you know you made the choice and why. You probably don't need NVMe speeds based one what you're doing, and I wouldn't get the P1, regardless. It's not good. You might consider just getting the actual SATA drive if your going to stick with the SATA bus anyways. You probably only have to M.2 slots total on your board, and if you ever did decide to use them for something that would actually be worthwhile, you wouldn't want to have to throw out your drive. The only downside is just having to run the power and SATA cable, which is not that big of a deal.