New gaming build-how do i stress it out!?

Built a new gaming rig and i want to run tests on it for operation, performance to see how far i can push it. Haven't turned it on yet so i know i need to  check that everything is detected properly and that all components are properly detected. what programs do you suggest to stress it and measure performance before i start loading all my normal apps on it?

thanks

My favorites are prime95 and furmark.  I’m old though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I don't recommend furmark, as it can destroy hardware.

P95 is great for heat testing your CPU, but Cinebench R20 is also great for a more "realistic" load, and gives you a score.

Heaven, and 3DMark are the most recognized and recommended GPU stress/benching software.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

2 minutes ago, Statik said:

I wanna see that source lol

4 minutes ago, Statik said:

P95 is great for heat testing your CPU, but Cinebench R20 is also great for a more "realistic" load, and gives you a score.

Heaven, and 3DMark are the most recognized and recommended GPU stress/benching software.

I suspected there would be better stuff out by now.  Curious how furmark can destroy a cpu. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I wanna see that source lol

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I suspected there would be better stuff out by now.  Curious how furmark can destroy a cpu. 

Furmark had an infamous reputation for frying GPUs due to creating such an unreal workload that some cards power distribution was overloaded and it essentially fried the card.

I think some drivers have been implemented to fix this, but i sure don't trust it. I also saw a video ~5-6 months ago on reddit of someones 1080Ti basically exploding while running furmark. Chances are it's okay, but they definitely have a reputation of damaging hardware, and it's not something I would personally ever risk, especially when there's plenty of other software that does a perfectly fine job.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Furmark had an infamous reputation for frying GPUs due to creating such an unreal workload that some cards power distribution was overloaded and it essentially fried the card.

I think some drivers have been implemented to fix this, but i sure don't trust it. I also saw a video ~5-6 months ago on reddit of someones 1080Ti basically exploding while running furmark. Chances are it's okay, but they definitely have a reputation of damaging hardware, and it's not something I would personally ever risk, especially when there's plenty of other software that does a perfectly fine job.

Both prome95 and furmark are effectively power viruses.  They have no upper workload limit. You used to be able to fry a cpu with prime95 too.  That was a long time ago though.  Both are quite old.  Prime95 is called prime95 because it was updated to run in windows95.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Both prome95 and furmark are effectively power viruses.  They have no upper workload limit. You used to be able to fry a cpu with prime95 too though.  That was a long time ago though.  Both are quite old.  Prime95 is called prime95 is because it was updated to run in windows95.

Yes I know, I just haven't seen a single thing about P95 destroying a CPU the entire time I've been building computers (7+ years), yet in that time I've seen multiple posts and precautionary posts about furmark, so even if their issues are older I still like to tread lightly is all.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Just wanted to see broken af hardware and now that you mention an exploding 1080Ti, I wanna see even more of it.

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Just wanted to see broken af hardware and now that you mention an exploding 1080Ti, I wanna see even more of it.

My internet is a giant pile of ass right now, so I can't really find it. I believe it was on /r/overclocking, but I could be wrong on that. It was actually pretty nuts, just his PC being a PC then a giant flash + bang. Needless to say his OC was not stable.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

45 minutes ago, Statik said:

Yes I know, I just haven't seen a single thing about P95 destroying a CPU the entire time I've been building computers (7+ years), yet in that time I've seen multiple posts and precautionary posts about furmark, so even if their issues are older I still like to tread lightly is all.

Hasn’t been a thing since heat throttling. I’ve got a Q66something in my basement I don’t even think I could break with prime95.  I also had a plll coppermine once upon a time.  That it might have worked on, I don’t know.  If modern GPUs have heat safeguards (and I suspect they do) they would be safe from that.  There might be something else of course.  I don’t have the deets.  I’ve never run either without watching them though.

-= Topic moved to General Discussion =-

OP I run F@H and or BOINC as my stress test. If it runs 24-48 hrs with no issue, it will most likely have no issue.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

-= Topic moved to General Discussion =-

OP I run F@H and or BOINC as my stress test. If it runs 24-48 hrs with no issue, it will most likely have no issue.

F@h on high will definitely eat everything available.  There’s a certain “drive it like it’s stolen” aspect to f@h I find I’m not overly fond of.  As a stress test this very thing makes it Not the worst idea.  

You can stress the CPU with CPU-Z. All you need is just something that will saturate the cores. Heaven is good for GPU. Turn up everything to max and just find a really difficult scene with lots of tesselation.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Two schools of thought...

Yes, Prime95 and FurMark will stress the components to a theoretical workload that in almost any case you'll never practically run into. If you're running top-tier quality components and aren't under-speccing power and cooling margins, this won't be a problem. If these are used components, you run the risk of being the "proverbial straw". In that case, I'd avoid long burn-in testing with these programs.

On the other hand, software should never break hardware. If you suffer a hardware failure because of a program (with the exception of actually using said program to control voltage variables directly), that's frankly on the poor quality and engineering of the hardware (***again, so long as you're supplying enough power and cooling). If the hardware is new, and has a potential defect, now's the time to isolate the issue by bringing it to a failure point while it's still covered under **warranty.

** Warranty typically doesn't cover over-clocking or OC-ing beyond recommended thresholds. Read vendor warranty coverage for specific details.

***Power and cooling being what you've specced out and proper hardware installation of the cooling solution. 

On 7/10/2020 at 2:24 PM, Statik said:

It was actually pretty nuts, just his PC being a PC then a giant flash + bang.

I could see this happening with an under-specced or poor quality capacitor. If power draw and voltages are improper, an electrolytic capacitor can form hydrogen gas, arc, thus causing it to explode like a firecracker.

Many years ago, the entire industry was effected by shoddy capacitors. You can read about that in the link below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague