B450 + R 3100 won't post after windows restart.

Hi guys

I'm building a PC for a kid in the family. He plays Fortnite, Warzone and stuff like that. But I have a very very strange issue here. Never experienced anything like it before and even googling the issue doesn't return any useful solutions. Help me LTT forum. You're my only hope.

Anyway this is the setup:

AMD Ryzen 3 3100

MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX

Kingston HyperX FURY DDR4-3200 C16 DC - 16GB

ASUS GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER Phoenix OC - 6GB GDDR6

Corsair CV550

Kingston A2000 M.2 NVMe SSD - 500GB

The PC is working brilliantly when turned up normally. Boots up in less than 10 secs from when you press the power button. There is no problem when the PC is idling or running games. When you shut it down from windows it shuts down and powers off. All completely normal. The issue is when I select restart from Windows. It shuts down but doesn't power off and just stands there with a black screen but all fans still running. BUT the motherboard CPU debug light comes on. I have to shut it down with the power button and press it again to restart the PC. It will then boot up completely normal like nothing has happened.

Things I've tried during troubleshooting:

1. All drivers/windows updated.

2. Installed the latest MSI bios (7B86vH72). It's a beta version so I then installed the lastest non-beta version (7B86vH6)

3. Messed around with various power options like disabling fast boot etc.

4. Tried running the system with only 1 stick of RAM. Then the other. Tried to swap the RAM sticks.

5. If I manually short the two restart switch pins on the motherboard (the case doesn't have a restart switch for some odd reason) the PC restarts immediately and powers back on and boots into windows normally.

No. 5. leads me to believe that it is some kind of weird software issue rather than a hardware, but I might be mistaken. I have never encountered this kind of fault before and I'm kinda running out of ideas.

I put my faith in you guys! Thanks in advance!

Clear the cmos. 

Update the chipset drivers. 

And use memtest86 to make sure it's not a ram problem. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

17 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Clear the cmos. 

Update the chipset drivers. 

And use memtest86 to make sure it's not a ram problem. 

Forgot to write that I've cleared CMOS several times. All drivers has been updated.

I'll try running a memtes, thanks!

If you go into CMD and run: shutdown /r -t 0

Does it restart properly or hang as it has been? I ran into a similar issue a long while back. It was either a fast-boot or sleep mode setting in Windows. Disabling it made the system behave normally again.

10 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

If you go into CMD and run: shutdown /r -t 0

Does it restart properly or hang as it has been? I ran into a similar issue a long while back. It was either a fast-boot or sleep mode setting in Windows. Disabling it made the system behave normally again.

Thanks for the tip but it didn't work. :(

I've already disabled fast-boot in windows and changed all power sleep -and/or off settings to "never". So strange. :(

6 hours ago, TisseFrans said:

Thanks for the tip but it didn't work. :(

I've already disabled fast-boot in windows and changed all power sleep -and/or off settings to "never". So strange. :(

Do you have a spare drive you could install a fresh copy of Windows on? This will help tell us if the problem here is more likely hardware or software related.