Make Windows 10 Bootable USB on Mac?

dsong98

I just built my first PC, and want to install windows 10 onto it. All I have currently is a MacBook Pro, so I’m not sure how I can make the usb bootable drive. Can I just go ahead and do it how you would on a pc? I read some articles about how to use the iso version and terminal and it seems really complicated.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks!

Only the Mac version of the MCT can be accessed on a Mac... you need a Windows machine for the Windows version.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Making bootable Windows USBs is a mess if you are not in Windows... At least, that's my experience. Maybe you can try to use a VM in your Mac and then make the bootable usb stick through it? I'd suggest using WoeUSB but apparently there's no Mac version :/

Some have had success downloading the iso and making an usb installer using the bootcamp assistant, but i've also seen times where this didn't work on a PC afterwards. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Install a VM and download it from there. After it's done, delete the VM if you don't want it. That's the most straightforward approach I can think of other that doing it from Bootcamp.

Etcher at least says it will work. You can download the ISO from MS site. With that, and considering you can do this on Linux, I have bit hard time to understand if Apple really is doing something shady to prevent it, and yet have bootcamp as option for installing Windows.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 5 weeks later...

Unfortunately there is no straight forward way to make a windows usb from Mac. If you are lucky enough to have a motherboard which has support to boot from an exfat usb drive, just copy the contents of the windows iso to the root directory of the usb drive(make sure your usb is formatted with the exfat file system). If that doesn’t work install virtual box to create a windows virtual machine on your Mac.

https://medium.com/oceanize-geeks/install-windows-10-7-on-mac-using-virtualbox-109be82b6037

@Andrew Systems Does Etcher support Windows ISOs now? Last I recall it refused to flash Windows ISOs for bootloader reasons.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

There is an extremely simple way. Install Windows in VMware (or whatever you have on Mac, like Parallels) and then connect your flash drive to the VM and run the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool in the VM.

• 4 months later...

I don't believe in Bootcamp,even though it claims to be able to do this,but sometimes it does not work well,the bootable USB does not work on machine.
If you are good at the text command,you can use Terminal to create a Windows 10 bootable USB on Mac in the virtual machine.

Just like this:

https://www.uubyte.com/create-bootable-usb-with-windows-iso.html

And the ISO is best downloaded from Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com

• 2 months later...
On 7/8/2020 at 11:14 PM, dsong98 said:

I just built my first PC, and want to install windows 10 onto it. All I have currently is a MacBook Pro, so I’m not sure how I can make the usb bootable drive. Can I just go ahead and do it how you would on a pc? I read some articles about how to use the iso version and terminal and it seems really complicated.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks!

Don't try to install virtual box for creating bootable usb if you're not a computer expert. Instead,  I would have recommended Rufus (http://rufus.ie/en_IE.html) except I saw you were using a Mac.

A friend of mine suggested WonderISO for mac. https://www.sysgeeker.com/how-to-create-windows-10-bootable-usb-on-mac-catalina.html it also works fine, if you dont' have a mac. I would suggest finding a window computer  and use the media creation tool if at all possible (highest success rate) or Rufus with an iso file (80% success rate for me... Usually just "reburn" it a second time fixes the issue.)